Elder Scrolls Online - Summerset Expansion Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Dualshockers A new expansion for The Elder Scrolls Online is set in the Summerset Isles.

This week, Maryland-based studio Bethesda Softworks announced that the next expansion for The Elder Scrolls Online would take place in Summerset, the ancestral home of Tamriel’s Altmer—the High Elves.

According to the press release, the Summerset DLC will wrap-up the story that initially started back in 2015 with the Orsinium expansion. Aside from wrapping up a narrative, the Summerset DLC will also introduce new content, including a new zone, a new jewelry crafting skill, and new Delves, Boss battles, a brand-new 12-player Trial called Cloudrest, as well as the Psijic Order faction and skillset.

[...]

More information.

Well the milking continues. Here is my cup.
Yes and this is why you won't be seeing another SP Elder Scrolls game for a while.:'(

Based on another thread they have a sc-fi RPG in production called Starfield.

I would dive in again, if there was an option for private severs. The quests were suprisingly varied and production value was high.

Just a clarification: ESO is only published by Bethesda. The developer is Zenimax Online Studios (ZOS), so there is no reason why Bethesda themselves couldn't/wouldn't be working on another Elder Scrolls game.

Just a clarification: ESO is only published by Bethesda. The developer is Zenimax Online Studios (ZOS), so there is no reason why Bethesda themselves couldn't/wouldn't be working on another Elder Scrolls game.

I'd imagine the next single player Elder Scrolls will cause a significant drop in number of players for ESO

Yes we probably all know that but it's still the same publisher just another division of the same company. Another example of milking is Blizzard with the Warcraft franchise.
June 28, 1986 in Bethesda, Maryland, U.S. Bethesda Softworks LLC is an American video game publisher based in Rockville, Maryland. The company was founded by Christopher Weaver in 1986 as a division of Media Technology Limited, and in 1999 became a subsidiary of ZeniMax Media.
Zenimax/Bethesda also opened a third studio.
Bethesda have a new development studio in Austin, Texas. BattleCry Studios will become Bethesda Game Studios Austin, expanding the company’s in-house development offerings with a third office.

Oh I don't dispute that Bethesda will think long and hard on the timing of the next Elder Scrolls game so it doesn't kill ESO (like EA did with Titanfall 2 when they released it at the same time as Battlefield 1).

I merely wanted to point out that it is not the same development team in charge of both ESO and the regular Elder Scrolls games, in case someone would think that it is a matter of resources that stops Bethesda from working on a new Elder Scrolls game.

With that being said, I seem to recall hearing that Bethesda is currently working on several undisclosed projects at the moment, with none of them being the next Elder Scrolls game, so unless they do another Fallout 4 style "mike drop" announcement at E3 followed by a release a few months later, then I too think that it'll be a long wait until we see the next "regular" Elder Scrolls game.

Why is releasing an add-on/expansion milking? Addons have been with us since the dawn of gaming, even the mighty Ultima 7 and the Baldur's gates had them.

I'm playing ESO now, the Morrowind expansion, and it's very good, In-My-Not-So-Humble-Opinion. Lots of interesting things to do, and actually quite few of the "stanard" fedex/kill 40 monsters before killing foozle quests.

pibbur who looks forward to said expansion

PS. I agree that the Morrowind addon was too expensive. Summerset is cheaper, 200 NOK when you already have the game. Should be around 20 - 25 USD (perhaps less - observe that prices are generally very high in Norway). DS.

The ads say it’s bigger than the Morrowind expansion. We’ll see about the quality. The number of dlc and expansions for ESO is getting rather large, thus milking.

Why is releasing an add-on/expansion milking? Addons have been with us since the dawn of gaming, even the mighty Ultima 7 and the Baldur's gates had them.
No this MMO has more then any Single Player RPG game. Then again it's a service game, and they are developed to milk buyers to generate more revenue after its release.
The number of dlc and expansions for ESO is getting rather large, thus milking.
I lost count after the fifth expansion and all the cosmetic DLC. :biggrin:

There are two expansions everyone have to pay for separately: Morrowind and Summerset. The others are included in the ESO+ membership (so admittedly you are paying for them). This is also the case in many other MMO's, like LOTRO and TSW.

So, yes, I can to some degree see the milking aspect. Whether it's really is milking depends IMNSHO on the quality of the DLC's. So far I've been satisfied, although I haven't played all of them.

pibbur who is a milk drinker, but still doesn't feel (or accept) he's being milked.

PS: I guess I react the way I do, because I feel I'm looked down upon because I play the game. Just a feeling, and I may very well be a bit too sensitive. I can't/won't claim it's true. DS.

I play it too Pib, but not exclusively anymore. I pre-ordered btw. Such a sucka. ;)

What annoys me is the recent “expansion” category, that isn’t included in the subscription. Every dlc / expansion should be covered by eso+, thus milking.

I play it too Pib, but not exclusively anymore. I pre-ordered btw. Such a sucka. ;)

What annoys me is the recent “expansion” category, that isn’t included in the subscription. Every dlc / expansion should be covered by eso+, thus milking.

I agree.

I played off and on for a while. I enjoyed it. But so much of the leveling is way too easy. I'd have to be not paying attention to get killed. So it feels like it's really about end game content, and playing in groups against bosses.

I played off and on for a while. I enjoyed it. But so much of the leveling is way too easy. I'd have to be not paying attention to get killed. So it feels like it's really about end game content, and playing in groups against bosses.

As I said, I'm currently playing the Morrowind expansion and I get killed a lot.

pibbur who admit he's probably not very good at playing games like this.

PS: I have that experience in LOTRO. Fortunately I've bought a thing I can keep in my pocketsess, to stop getting xp whenever I want to. I also tend to go to areas around 4-5 levels above my own. Mordor is quite hard, btw. DS.

And the endgame and motif collecting is just too grindy. The pvp is the most interesting, with a guild and raid, but that gets old with the poor performance and constant rule changes, and equipment revisions. After a while it just felt like a hamster wheel.

So I just enjoy the new pve quests as they roll out.

Back
Top Bottom