Obsidian Entertainment - Project Eternity Update #3 - Party, Characters, Races

All of this sounds great to me, but I'm a little confused by:

"Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose."

immediately followed by:

"A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations."

So ... you're free to go it alone if you don't mind losing access to a key element of the combat system. Just say it's a party-based game and be done with it.

So … you're free to go it alone if you don't mind losing access to a key element of the combat system. Just say it's a party-based game and be done with it.

It is the same concept as soloing the Baldur's Gate and/or the Icewind Dale games.

It is the same concept as soloing the Baldur's Gate and/or the Icewind Dale games.

Formation was not really a key element of combat in those games, so if that's all they mean, then they're overselling it.

All of this sounds great to me, but I'm a little confused by:

"Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose."

immediately followed by:

"A key element of the classic party-based tactical combat that we are developing is the use of party formations."

So … you're free to go it alone if you don't mind losing access to a key element of the combat system. Just say it's a party-based game and be done with it.

Perhaps it's that, if you do decide to go for a party instead of solo (as the vast majority of us will do, at least in an initial play through), you'll want to use formations to make the most use of your party.

I think you guys are overthinking this. The way I see it, they only mentioned formations like this, because they wanted to say that they are bringing stuff back, that was cut out to make such games simpler and simpler all the time, which ultimately killed much of their appeal to folks like "us". And now, because of this project it's gonna return! Finally giving folks who liked the classics what they missed all those years! Be happy!

That's my take. :p

You're overthinking it.

It's a party-based game.

But - Singletons are a time-honoured tradition among the hardcore looking for a real challenge and Obsidian is smart to allow this minor inclusion. It's not my cup of tea - I like the smoother challenge curve and full tactical options - but you'd be surprised how many people love it.

You're overthinking it.

It's a party-based game.

But - Singletons are a time-honoured tradition among the hardcore looking for a real challenge and Obsidian is smart to allow this minor inclusion. It's not my cup of tea - I like the smoother challenge curve and full tactical options - but you'd be surprised how many people love it.

Yeah I had a friend who tried to solo Icewind Dale II with a Barbarian. Despite not being able to do so successfully, he still enjoyed that aborted playthrough enough to have spent about 15 hours doing it and did not regret the attempt. Not my idea of fun mind you, but if it does not take much effort to make it an option then it does at least please some people.

Personally I like having a full party in games like these - where the recruitable characters have interesting back-stories and personalities - so even if soloing is doable I'd rather not do it alone.

Back
Top Bottom