The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I just found out that Shara Worden, the singer and prime mover behind My Brightest Diamond, is playing in town for free on July 5. She won't be with the band so I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but I'm confident that as always she will disperse the white light.

I am not much of an Alice Cooper fan, but I did see him live once and it was an amazing show, even if I consider most of his music kind of B-rated. I admit he is a great entertainer, but I think the majority of his music is kind of weak, especially in the later years (80's - 90's). However, here is another of my all-time favorite albums, from an act I really dont like all that much

Alice Cooper - From The Inside

One of the best album covers ever also. Not just the picture on the cover, but the front, back, and inside as a whole

I thought the Alice Cooper segment in Wayne's World was tremendously funny.

Going old skool today...
"Tell Her No" by The Zombies

been stuck on Cannibal Corpse lately…. Gallery of Suicide is their finest album.

A lot of people may laugh at this, but I'm telling you - they are a solid bunch of musicians! Their particular strain of death metal is technically impressive, with the outright speed / tempo changes in both guitar and drums is awesome. The thing I like about this vocalist (george "corpsegrinder" fisher) is that unlike most death metal vocalists, he actually is (somewhat) understandable and his pitch changes from a low gutteral rumble to an outright shriek. He sounds like a monster, a madman.
The lyrics of course are pretty hilarious, once you know them it enhances the experience. Strolling thru the office humming "Blood Drenched Execution" is a sublime experience.
Great album!

I really wanted to see them this spring with Behemoth just didn't have the time ..

OK, here's one of their more poppy tracks. Missing a lot of edginess. Still good rhythms and atmosphere. Verging on house music.

Cabaret Voltaire - Hypnotised (The Daniel Miller D.O.R. Mix)

Also, this song is so good it's been on repeat all the afternoon (despite the "seedy" subject matter). Most of these (including I Want You) are best heard on headphones.

Last edited:
Dance music is an Aladin's cave of treasures. Take this great track from the lesser known summers of love circa 1989-1990 when the word Happy was the most rebellious and revolutionary phrase a teenager could utter:

Before breakbeat had morphed into drum&bass and when even the most soulful of lyrics could lift you into euphoria. To the uninitiated the start of the track sounds generic, you think "seems like any other dance crap to me" but, by the end, you suddenly realise you've been whisked into a daydream of previously unknown epic proportions and you're appalled that the track has dared to end, your hand involuntarily reaching for the replay button like a drunkard reaches for a new bottle.

25 years on and people still remember this track, get that same wave of emotion as it kicks in, over 80,000 youtube views for a 25 year old song that doesn't even have a wiki page and never even scratched the mainstream charts. Quality surviving the passage of time by the sheer force of embedded memory of those who were there that year.

(be wary of later uncouth speeded-up versions should you wish to hunt the track down).

I personally think music as become to save now of days. Since when did we remove tragedy from the arts?

I really need the next new thing to get me back into music.

I turned 8 in 1977 and bought Van Halen one and my life changed.

Everything is so save even when it seems it isn't any more.

Some of you already knew it, I didn't. The haunting song in the Witcher 3 trailer "Go your way" is:

from the The Burgh Island EP.

pibbur who read that the tune has also been used in TV series like "The Walking Dead"

Dark Tranquillity

This band has never stopped being amazing. Also I've found no other band I can listen to so well during workouts (apart from maybe Amon Amarth). And Weird Al, but that's a whole nother story.

Dark Tranquillity

This band has never stopped being amazing. Also I've found no other band I can listen to so well during workouts (apart from maybe Amon Amarth). And Weird Al, but that's a whole nother story.

I stopped the Iron Maiden play through to check this out. Im not really a fan of super rough / gargle with broken glass vocals, but it kind of works for this tune. The music however was fantastic. Loved the music. The next song "The Mundane and The Magic" came on, and again I was being hypnotized by the music, but then those growling vocals came in

The dudes actually got a nice voice! Im not totally against the rough vocals, but I can only take it in small doses. Still, bands like Lamb of God, Meshuggah, and Sepultura are on my playlist

Back
Top Bottom