Arx Fatalis - Arx Libertatis v1.0 Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Arx Libertatis is cross-platform, open-source port of Arx Fatalis that has just reached v1.0:
Arx Libertatis 1.0 "Bloody Gobblers!" released (2012-04-19)

After over a year of work we are proud to announce the first release of Arx Libertatis. While some minor graphical glitches remain, the game is fully playable on both Windows and Linux as well as other platforms. There are packages available for Windows and Linux. On other systems you may still be able to run the game by compiling the source code yourself.
Besides porting the game to SDL, OpenGL, OpenAL and the amd64 architecture while maintaining native Direct X backends, we fixed some performance issues with newer operating systems, added more configuration options and improved the interface scaling for widescreen resolutions. See the wiki for the full changelog.
But that does not mean that the work on Arx Libertatis is done. There is still much code to clean and features to add. Contributions, small or large, are welcome: Feel free to fork the project on github or join us in #arxfatalis on the Freenode IRC network.
Thanks, michal!

More information.

Oh, this is awesome news indeed!!! :D

This is a GREAT reason for me to install Arx PC on my current Win 7 PC and test this Source Port out.

Fascinating! Thanks very much for posting. This will be a project worth following. If anyone tests this on the Watch, could they please post their impressions? Cheers.

Tried it for a short while. Runs much better w/ this Source Port than in Win 7 x64 natively for me. Ain't ran into really any issues or anything, for the short time that I tested it out for.

Very interesting. A replay of Arx is waay long overdue for me.

Unfortunately it will be a couple of months before I actually start a replay (got to finish my current Risen1 then Risen2 and then a Witcher 2EE). But I'll try to set it up during the weekend to see how it goes...

(Hmm, if the nostalgia gets the better of me I might push it up in front of the W2EE :) )

Wow, this is a surprise.
Playing Arx Fatalis natively on Linux could lure me back into gaming.

I have dual boot on my system, XP and Vista. For some reason Arx Fatalis doesn’t run on Vista, I click on the game icon but nothing happens. I tried both gog and disc version with latest patch to no avail. I’m going to try Arx Libertatis, maybe it solves this Vista issue.

So this is kind of like Ultima Exult ?

Works Ok from what I can see. For some reason the gamma value is way too high though and its as bright as day in the underground world of Arx.

Seems the developers completely removed those settings ? Can't really play like that I am afraid...

Visual fixes mostly from what I can see on a side by side. Libertatis looks sharper overall…

Edit: Nah, the "sharpness" was just af and mipmap quality settings I guess (I set Af from the driver and they look the same). No reason not to use the original + 1.21 patch if it works for you it seems (I will).

On other news, I should have known better than to install Arx one week before Risen 2 was out… Now its too late ;)

Hmm, otoh I get some weird fps drops in 1.21 that are apparently fixed with Libertatis. Libertatis audio is somehow off though (seems a bit muted in comparison)...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom