What games are you playing now?

I sank countless hours into Civ1 & 2 and its scenarios. When C3 came out I immediately bought it but was disappointed in how they changed the game. Also couldn't get into C4 and never tried C5&6.

Yep, can completely understand. Personally never played 2 and 3 as far as I can remember, but Civ made a pretty clear cut after Civ 4, when the series got more of a "boardgame" character and less of a "simulation". Until 4 you had more of the feeling you would play an alternative (and weird) history of the real world, but after that the series became much more "gamey" and abstract. Not a bad thing in itself and it also had some advantages, but it's just not the same type of civ anymore. Maybe similar as old Railroad Tycoon vs new Railroads!-games or old XCom vs Firaxis XCom.
All less of a simulation anymore and more of a boardgame.

Well civ1 & 2 still are my fav games of all time. When scenario support in Civ2 FW was introduced the game just exploded and you had hundreds of scenarios available on Apolyton, Spanish civ2 site, etc. Each scenario was different and some were truly works of art. God knows how much time I wasted on that game. I was naively expecting Civ3 would be a better, upgraded version of C2. Meh... I think I uninstalled the game after 1 hour and just couldn't get into the sequels. I agree that the historical background and aspect that made earlier Civs unique is somewhat gone. Kinda like transformation from Diablo 1 to 3 where a gritty, dark game becomes a shiny clickfest for masses without any character.

Some old "budget" first person shooters, and more relevant to this site, I've really started to get into Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It's been a lot of fun just learning the basic mechanics and rules, and also I'm very much enjoying the combat. The mods make this game outstanding, even better.

I'm using the turn-based combat mod (absolutely superb) and the bag of tricks mod. I removed the way too harsh encumbrance mechanic, and can carry around a lot of stuff without worrying about an un-fun, and unnecessary encumbrance penalty system.

Next, I'm going to keep but greatly lessen how often my party gets fatigued and exhausted…not liking how often it is. I will keep it in but make it 5 times less often, or so.

Anyway, that's one of the awesome things about this particular rpg, not only is it a very classic and traditional isometric old school type rpg, but it has superb mods that allow you to tweak the game to your play style.

Tried to play Kingdom Come but my PC wasn't on board.

It seems to be a decent medieval simulator, but I can't really tell with my 20FPS ratio…

Oh well, back to Kenshi.

I picked up Kingdom Come for free and I've been playing it on my 9-year-old PC at 1280x720 with minimum everything, and it's playable at about 30 fps. I'm really enjoying it. I play it with a controller while exercising on the elliptical and I'm finding that my workouts are going long these days. The controller makes it impossible to pick locks or hit anything with an arrow so occasionally I'll have to get down and use the mouse.

It does feel like a pretty realistic medieval simulator. Buildings have outhouses and castles have garderobe chutes and there are piles of crap everywhere. You have to take baths otherwise your charisma drops. If you have ragged clothes, people react to that, and if you have shiny armor, people react to that too.

I wasn't a fan of the save system at first. And it's not clearly explained and there seem to be exceptions to how it works. You can only save the game by using a special potion, by sleeping at your home or a tavern, or by exiting the game. But your exit save gets erased when you load it. So if you save and exit, then later log back in and die, then your progress gets reset back to your last permanent save.

The potions are prohibitively expensive at first, so you really have to decide whether you want to do something risky. In this game, risky means "walking to the next town." A single bandit is a serious threat early on, and later on, a group of six bandits can scare your horse and then club you to death through your fancy plate armor.

Tried to play Kingdom Come but my PC wasn't on board.

It seems to be a decent medieval simulator, but I can't really tell with my 20FPS ratio…

play it via geforce now like me, though even there runs like ass in some moments

im playing AC ORIGINS now on the same geforce now and hands down, the game looks spectacular on max details; sadly it is one of the most boring of the series, main story loses focus among the 999 same sidequests

I'll try that. But if GFnow is just optimizing the game, I already did that in the GF graphical options panel with some really mild results (fast V-sync helped a little).
Thanks anyway.

Geforce now doesnt really care what pc you got just a very good net connection; im using it for about 3 weeks and played greedfall, division 2, ass creed origins, metro exodus and more on maximum in 1080p on my crap pc

Interesting.
My connection is pretty good. Gonna try that.

Thanks again.

Playing Dungeon Siege 1 - very enjoyable and easy to use UI. By the way the whole series (including 1, 2 and 3) is now discounted on Steam for like £2.40
I think there's an ultima mod which some people say is amazing. Have a look for it

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Playing Dungeon Siege 1 - very enjoyable and easy to use UI. By the way the whole series (including 1, 2 and 3) is now discounted on Steam for like £2.40

I remember trying to play this a couple of months ago, on Steam, and could not make it work properly on Win10. I was a sad panda. It's really annoying when Steam sells or has games that are not patched to run on modern systems. How in the world is that acceptable. GOG does an amazing job with this vs Valve who has way more resources and could easily offer this for their products. But they don't give a fuck.

The same thing I remember for some other Ubisoft games.

GOG does an amazing job with this vs Valve who has way more resources and could easily offer this for their products.
It's true except for Icewind Dale II.
GOG is still selling the game and it won't run ever :(

I remember trying to play this a couple of months ago, on Steam, and could not make it work properly on Win10.

I am running it on Win7 on an old laptop with integrated graphics and its working perfectly. Have you tried compatibility mode on Win10?

Also Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 are drm free on Steam. You may try to run the executable directly from the installation directory without Steam (and including compatibility mode).

I also agree with regards to GoG's more stringent efforts to make their games work. However they failed me with KoToR2, as the game keeps crashing after the character creation. However the Steam version is more stable and updated for modern systems.

I've been having quite the ARPG fest these past few weeks.

Games include:

Grim Dawn with Reign of Terror mod

This essentially combines Grim Dawn with Diablo 2 classes and campaign. It's extremely well done for a mod - and felt more like Diablo than Grim Dawn.

Wolcen

Recently out of early access - and it had a very rough launch. Servers were unavailable for the launch weekend, which definitely didn't help the developers score points with the audience - but I was ok playing offline, completing the campaign.

It's got a very solid foundation, and I'm apparently a lot more lenient when it comes to balance issues and the occasional technical quirk than most. Overall, it's very playable - and the combat and character system are both excellent.

It's a little light on content - and it definitely needs some kind of loot overhaul sooner rather than later, but it has the potential to be among the best in the genre, given some love and new content.

Warhammer Martyr

It recently got a much needed balance pass - and I've started playing it again. I still think it's a great ARPG - and I love me some WH40K. It's still rough around the edges, though - and I don't know if Neocore will ever manage to polish it to a shine. It really deserves to be given more attention, in my opinion.

Division 2

Expansion releases tomorrow - along with a major loot/mechanics overhaul - and I'm ready for it. I always loved Division (both of them) - but I bounced off of this one after I exhausted content - and the loot/mechanics didn't work to my long-term satisfaction. Nearly everything about the upcoming changes and content sounds like a major improvement - so I'm hopeful this will be my long-term looter fix.

I lost my save game for ELEX back when it came out .. then one thing led to another and I never restarted or finished the game. So installed this weekend and finding it more polished and enjoyable. So currently playing that, along with another run through of Pathfinder ... and of course my staples Skyrim and FO4.

Decided to start a new character for Warlords of New York :)

g4qJ7B1.jpg

Kingdom Come Deliverance

quite good, trying to avoid combat as much as possible since its atrocious (or at least it is now when im a weakling hehe); all those "realism" features become boring at some point and some are not realistic at all (how the fuck does a trader know if 1 of my 2 apples is stolen lol) but it has atmosphere

KCD walkthrough:

1. Follow the main story till the moment you get your own horse, then start lollygagging. No, not the temporary horse.

2. When a combat trainer unlocks, ignore everything you're currently doing and train some combat. Note that longswords (training or actual fighting) up your strength too, while shortswords improve your agility.

3. Stop stealing apples! Steal only 500+ worth stuff. Unless you're trying to maximize pickpocketing, but in such case drop asap all the cheap rubbish from your inventory.

4. Always use speech check in dialogues, even if it'll lead (currently) to failure.

5. Dark (black) rags > shiny and overpowered deadly armor of doom

6. When trying to convince a priest, make sure you fail the dialogue then go meet the priest at the inn.

So I finaly had some time to start a playthrough of Kingmaker.

I spent 2 hours on the character creation, finished the tutorial and... restasted a new game. Lol.

The general feeling I got is: it's like home.
I can't believe I've waited so long to play that game. It's superb!

Back
Top Bottom