KotOR - Remake on the Cards?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Cinelinx reports that Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic maybe getting remade to bring it into current canon.

Unexpectedly, I heard an update from two independent sources (different from ones who'd given me the prior information, and one of whom helped me confirm our Ewan McGregor scoop from last year). This came out of the blue, and caught me by surprise, which is the main reason I'm updating now.

According to one, the previously mentioned Knights of the Old Republic remake is back in development. My other source added to that saying they felt it wasn't so much a remake, but a "sequel" of sorts. It would be a Knights of the Old Republic project that would integrate elements from the first two games in order to bring certain things into the current Star Wars canon. Not necessarily a remake, so much as a re-imagining.

[...]
More information.

Yep confirmed Reavan is only female to tie in with the upcoming disneyfied movie.:biggrin:

Hasn't Revan always been female according to canon? Or am I mixing this up with some other Star Wars game?

In the novel Revan was male. In the SWTOR MMO he was male. Technically none of it is canon anymore, but the canon was that Revan is male, and the Jedi Exile is female.

Link - https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Revan

Now that Disney scrapped the entire lore who the hell knows really.

I'm only interested in shutting down the stupid mmo and giving fans singleplayer only Kotor3. We deserved it.
Canon or not canon.

Remake, reboot, reimagining ... ugh.

KOTOR and KOTOR II are fine as they are ... do something original in the timeline either well before or somewhat later.

Or just screw it all, inject time travel into Star Wars and have Rey come back to be the magical hero for the Old Republic too!

As long as it maintains its turn-based combat, I'm only with a remake or graphic update for the series. Throw in a few more hours of content and you'll have a guaranteed seller, in my opinion. Just, for crying out loud, do NOT incorporate anything from the last eight or nine films!!!

Just make a new singleplayer Star Wars game. Fallen Order was a reasonably good action game, but it was far from an RPG. Why is this such a hard sell? I couldn't care less about "bringing it into canon", and remakes/remasters are unnecessary and pointless 99.9% of the time.

I'm only interested in shutting down the stupid mmo and giving fans singleplayer only Kotor3. We deserved it.
Canon or not canon.

This.

But actually, I wouldn't mind a Kotor I (or II) with updated graphics and/or enhanced gameplay. In fact, remakes can be quite good, I just learned that playing resident evil 2 remake :p.

As long as it maintains its turn-based combat, I'm only with a remake or graphic update for the series. Throw in a few more hours of content and you'll have a guaranteed seller, in my opinion. Just, for crying out loud, do NOT incorporate anything from the last eight or nine films!!!

I’m pretty sure KOTOR was RTWP.

Anyway I never finished the original so I welcome a remake or reimagined version.

I’m pretty sure KOTOR was RTWP.

Anyway I never finished the original so I welcome a remake or reimagined version.

It was, but like BG and other similar titles of the time it was very clearly round-based as opposed to the time-based RTwP that is more common now.

Well KotOR used a modified version of the Infinity Engine, the one used for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and later Neverwinter Nights, so of course it would play similarly to those. Battle rounds are basically divided in 6 second segments that play out in pseudo real time but every action you input is queued in these 6 second brackets. I'm not sure I like this more than more fluid RTwP systems, but it works well nonetheless.

Well KotOR used a modified version of the Infinity Engine, the one used for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and later Neverwinter Nights, so of course it would play similarly to those.

"The game uses the Odyssey Engine, based on the Aurora Engine (previously developed by BioWare for use in Neverwinter Nights) but completely rewritten for Knights of the Old Republic."

I would very much look forward to another single-player story-based Star Wars game, whether RPG such as the great KotOR or action-based such as the great Jedi: Fallen Order. I would not look forward to just playing KotOR again with better graphics.

After Infinity Engine games I was disappointed by almost every game Bioware did later on. Kotor as well ... almost every area of game felt super small. Early 3D graphics was ugly to me. Despite that I remember the game fondly ... setting probably helped a lot. And selective memory ...

Kotor as well … almost every area of game felt super small.

This was more of an XBOX thing than anything about BioWare - NWN had some really good sized dungeons. But if you look around that 2003 time, you see games - particularly cross-platform stuff like KotOR and Deus Ex Invisible War - that had the world divided up into really bite-sized chunks.

Canon or not canon.

What's wrong with the MMO? Its not like its a JRPG.

Aurora is the evolution of infinity, used in nwn, as said. Sorry I didn't spell it out for you, Andrew. Evidently it's not the same since nwn and KotOR have rotating camera and are tile based, not 2d prerendered. I did say it was a modified version and even described how it works. The nitpick is welcome, regardless.

Aurora is the evolution of infinity, used in nwn, as said. Sorry I didn't spell it out for you, Andrew. Evidently it's not the same since nwn and KotOR have rotating camera and are tile based, not 2d prerendered. I did say it was a modified version and even described how it works. The nitpick is welcome, regardless.

It is pretty distinct - like comparing the engines from Doom and Quake. Sure they are both I’d Tech X engines and therefore ‘evolutionary’.

“ Aurora Engine was the successor to the Infinity Engine, featuring full 3D environments, real-time lighting and shadows, and surround sound. ”

Always take the opportunity to learn gracefully rather than not learn by getting defensive.

Back
Top Bottom