NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

My Head Just Exploded

Community Endorsed: Original developers have teamed with key members of the Neverwinter Nights community to curate important fan-requested improvements to support players, storytellers, and modders.

They didn't contact me - or is my head too big?

For those critiquing that they'll add additions made by the mod community I sure hope so. They've always done this and it was always in the EULA. They didn't exactly use my fix for one of the broken VFX's but my continued insistence finally caught their attention. I'm glad they did. The whole tag based system that became standard and implemented into the game was a random submission to the Vault by a user who disappeared. Don't forget Witch's Wake had the Hardcore Ruleset implemented. etc. etc.

I'm going to start a new thread on this but I think there are several suggestions we can make to Beamdog - or at least features that it should have before its worth buying.

In short

-include the best of the features that have been added by the community since the last patch.

-add/recreate the best concepts that exist in the NWN2, CEP, d20, PRC, NWNX etc. such as additional custom graphic options on items, etc.

-Add the equivalent content of a new expansion pack, which would include a new, sizeable story, two new classes, two new tilesets, two new monsters, etc.

-Rebuild of the GUI/HUD for mobile

Features I want

-Server replacement for Gamespy

-Automatic hak download

-Ability to override 2DA's from the toolset without the need for a hak

-Rotation on the Z-axis for all manipulatable objects

-Flying and climbing for Creatures

-GUI for DM's

-Text box GUI option for objects (so you don't have to have invisible listeners following every player around)

(this last one I asked Obsidian for twice and they had no idea what I was talking about (both times). When I explained it to them, with some help from fellow posters, they were surprised the community came up with that. At release they added the GUI solution. When I took credit for it they had no memory I even asked but laughed at let me have it.)

Sounds like you're jealous. And I don't need to show you shit. The post I quoted of yours made an outrageous, ridiculous and false claim and anyone can see it for themselves.

Waiting on your Demons Age review bro. Let me know when you post that. :)
You are beyond lost mr Trump.

Would have sooo prefered a half baked Planescape EE expansion rather than this. Hardly anything is new and unavailable in mods - I think the new UI is the only thing, but not sure, the last of the premium modules are not included in the base game, but are dlc.
No, really, I don't see the point of this over the current Diamond edition on gog.

You are beyond lost mr Trump.

sO6EHYX.jpg

30+ million dollars for redoing the models? That's utter bullshit.
No, that's business.

Um... Is Beamdog hiring? I want to work that hard job of theirs! Pays a bit less than smuggling drugs, but is legal!

No, that's business.

Um… Is Beamdog hiring? I want to work that hard job of theirs! Pays a bit less than smuggling drugs, but is legal!

Oh yeah, I want to be a 3D artist at Beamdog too!

I've used Blender for years! :)

12 pages??? For this? Are you guys really bored?

Sounds kind of underwhelming to me, but I enjoyed the EE version of BG and especially appreciate the fact you can play it on a tablet. I can agree with the "cash grab" crowd for this one, although I'm fine with that if it brings these games to new players who might appreciate them.

To be honest the screenshots were underwhelming. Are you sure you want to be a beamdog 3d artist ?

If they're going to pay me 30 million dollars for, say, doubling the polycount of ultra-low poly meshes from 15 years ago and applying a couple of high res UVMAPs to them - then I think I can deal with it ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if every single 3D asset in NWN - combined - wouldn't make up a single modern 3D character in terms of polycount.

Oh, and no - NWN has nowhere near the amount of 3D assets as something like D:OS2. I mean, just look at a screenshot or two and check the detail and object variety in these games. NWN is made up of very primitive forms repeated endlessly. D:OS2 looks like an actual world and the amount of hand-crafted objects in any given room is insane.

NWN weapons and armor are made up of very few individual pieces of extremely primitive 3D objects that are put together. Also, things like furniture look like a few squares slapped together with extremely primitive textures applied.

30 million dollars to make them look better? Riiiiiiight.

A 3D artist earns around $50K pr. year on average.

So, what azarhal is suggesting is that it would take 600 artists a FULL year to enhance these ultra low poly/texture assets.

I missed something; did beamdog state they were spending $30 million for nwn-EE. Naively I would think the budget would be below 1 million.

According to azarhal, they said updating the models would cost 30-50 million dollars.

Now, I haven't seen anything official myself - but I'm all but certain they just exaggerated because they wanted to communicate clearly that updating models would be too expensive.

"Too expensive" can mean many things. I suspect it means "more than we're willing to invest" - rather than "we can't afford it".

I suspect too expensive is 'more than we expect to make from the product'. I have no figures but I get the feeling that beamdog (todate) has been a shoe-string operation and has little cash reserve. Conversely 30-50 million dollars to update the models seem excessive. I have no clue if the models are in a form that can be automagically enhanced or if they would have to be recreated from scratch but either way the figure seems to high. I doubt d:eek:s-2 total budget was 30 million (for example).

According to azarhal, they said updating the models would cost 30-50 million dollars.

Now, I haven't seen anything official myself - but I'm all but certain they just exaggerated because they wanted to communicate clearly that updating models would be too expensive.

"Too expensive" can mean many things. I suspect it means "more than we're willing to invest" - rather than "we can't afford it".

I suspect too expensive is 'more than we expect to make from the product'. I have no figures but I get the feeling that beamdog (todate) has been a shoe-string operation and has little cash reserve.

I have no inside knowledge - but my suspicion is that they've made quite a lot of money selling the work of other people with limited modifications at rather high prices.

Maybe they've squandered that, though :)

Why do we care how much money they make or how much work they put in to it, again?

At the end of the day there’s a product, buy it or don’t.

If I applied the money made has to be equal to the work put in theory I’d be naked, carless , homeless and eating out of a trash can.

Why do we care how much money they make or how much work they put in to it, again?

At the end of the day there’s a product, buy it or don’t.

If I applied the money made has to be equal to the work put in theory I’d be naked, carless , homeless and eating out of a trash can.

Why do you care so much if other people care? It's like literally every time there's a discussion related to this - you ask the same question.

Here's a hint:

People are different and they don't think alike.

Why do you care so much if other people care? It's like literally every time there's a discussion related to this - you ask the same question.

Here's a hint:

People are different and they don't think alike.

Maybe if I got a real answer?

You regurgitate the same stuff in all these threads as well.

Maybe if I got a real answer?

You regurgitate the same stuff in all these threads as well.

That doesn't really explain why you care so much. Have you considered that there's a reason you keep looking for an answer to this exact question every single chance you get?

That curiousity must have a source :)

It's hard to say. I don't know exactly how much they have access to. I don't expect the engine to be flexible enough to just accept assets of higher fidelity and memory footprint.

I guess they would need to adjust the code to some extent - and maybe the file format isn't easy to just load into a modern 3D rendering app. I don't know if some kind of conversion is needed first.

So, there's no way to be sure how much it would cost - but I would be very very surprised if it's more than 50-100K.

I think a single artist could do a reasonable job on the NPC/player models in a few months, personally. Don't see why not.

Back
Top Bottom