Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed?

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed?

June 23rd, 2019, 09:44
TheGamer thinks that the Ranger Class will be enhanced in Baldur's Gate 3:

Baldur's Gate 3 And Dungeons & Dragons Will Be Changing The Ranger Class In The Future

The ranger is one of the weaker classes in the current edition of Dungeons & Dragons, but that will be changing soon, as the class will be different in both Baldur's Gate III and in some new updates for Dungeons & Dragons in the future.

The future of the ranger class was discussed by Mike Mearls, who is the creative director for Dungeons & Dragons, and Swen Vincke of Larian Studios, which is the development studio that is currently working on Baldur's Gate III. The two appeared on an episode of Kotaku Splitscreen, where they talked about both Baldur's Gate III and Dungeons & Dragons.

[…]
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 12:14
The ranger class can be very powerful in D&D 5e. With colossus slayer and hunter's mark they do some of the best damage of any class. Early on, I would say they are the best damage dealers, until the mid lvls.

My Arcane Archer was lagging behind the rangers that I have played with. I decided to splash him with 3 lvls of the ranger class to get colossus slayer and the spell hunter's mark.

They should do something with favored enemies though. That skill is not very good in 5e compared to AD&D. Rangers in AD&D just crushed their favored enemies and all giant archetypes.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 13:09
I'm curious how the bard class will play, I'm a bard guy after all.

DarkOzric

Cosmic Wanderer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 15:20
I personally tend to avoid the ranger class, so this is likely not to have a huge impact on how I play. My biggest hope is that they might go classic-retro, and bring back the second edition rules!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 15:31
Given what they've said about combat so far (which admittedly isn't much) I'm expecting changes to all the classes to be honest. I'm thinking specifically of Swen's comment that players don't like missing attack rolls and that they would fix this. I don't see how you make changes like that without changing lots about the classes etc. It will be interesting to see what they have in mind - hopefully they don't make the combat too DOS2ish.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 17:56
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I personally tend to avoid the ranger class, so this is likely not to have a huge impact on how I play. My biggest hope is that they might go classic-retro, and bring back the second edition rules!
They already said that it'll be (modified) 5ed.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: -

Morrandir

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 18:00
Originally Posted by DarkOzric View Post
I'm curious how the bard class will play, I'm a bard guy after all.
The bard class is very powerful in D&D 5e. Some great spells and sword bards can do some nice melee damage.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 18:38
Its a good thing that they're working this closely with WotC to the point that they'll release it with whatever last minute update they make to the PnP version.

About things that would differ from DnD, I hope the game won't hard force you to take a whole party so you can play solo to challenge yourself on a second playthrough. That's one of the things I enjoyed the most in the original Infinity games and later in DOS and PoE too. They like to fling about the "gather your party" motto, so we'll see I suppose.

Nereida

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 20:08
Well, that's bad news on the fifth edition rules, but I'm glad to hear that bards are sounding like they'll be in a good spot, as that's a class I tend to favour.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 23rd, 2019, 20:48
I'm not really a Ranger fan anyway. I just find the bow thing pretty boring. And the pet thing doesn't thrill me either. When I played Everquest, I played a Ranger, but not with a bow, he was an up and close melee fighter.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 22:29
Meh, kind of dull, as fighter with bow/stealth. Focus more on traps'n'ambush with animal combos.
Also, extra Ruggedness dialogue options. This way you get to experience roleplaying as a Croat!
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

June 23rd, 2019, 22:51
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
About things that would differ from DnD, I hope the game won't hard force you to take a whole party so you can play solo to challenge yourself on a second playthrough. That's one of the things I enjoyed the most in the original Infinity games and later in DOS and PoE too. They like to fling about the "gather your party" motto, so we'll see I suppose.
That would be nice! I have fond (and some frustrating) memories of solo'ing the BG trilogy (BGT mod) with a rogue. With "Use magic device" this was kinda fun.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 23:16
To me the Ranger wasn't a particularly impressive class even in the original BG games. Rangers really should be a more terrain-savvy class, but I rarely see that implemented. I.e. they should get things like defensive, movement, and positioning bonuses when they can exploit terrain features, even in a city.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

June 23rd, 2019, 23:24
I used the Ranger a lot for soloing in NWN-Modules. Like the Bard he's a Jack of all trades and Master of nothing. The pet can be a life saver.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 00:38
It's sort of a rhetorical question isn't it? I think it would be naive to believe there aren't going to a lot of changes in general from the PnP game.

There's a lot of money going into this project. They're going to try to appeal to as many gamers as possible.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 00:47
hope this increase in funds will make them able to do day/night cycles as well as various weathers, they're seriously behind other games there, even many indies (in Divinity Original Sin 1-2)
--
Latest creations: Fallout NV: A Wasteland in Bloom / Fallout NV: WFO v3.2

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓻

June 24th, 2019, 01:05
Well, I just hope they don't take too many liberties and stick as close to the core rules as possible.

I'd love to see a TOEE type implementation within the D:OS engine. Just the rules implementation, obviously with D&D 5e now though.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

June 24th, 2019, 02:09
That would work for me, a full implementation of the ToEE tyoe, with the fifth rules edition in effect. Might even be a solid way to learn the newest rules, since I've not read or picked up the newest books.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 24th, 2019, 02:32
It's a pipe dream to think it might be anywhere near as hardcore as something like ToEE. They're investing too much money into this to take that kind of risk. BG III is going to be a much more mainstream product.

Mainstream doesn't mean bad though. I expect a high-quality experience, but there's going to be more emphasis on production values than having a complex rules implementation that might turn some gamers off. Swen has already hinted at that.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

June 24th, 2019, 06:22
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
It's a pipe dream to think it might be anywhere near as hardcore as something like ToEE. They're investing too much money into this to take that kind of risk. BG III is going to be a much more mainstream product.

Mainstream doesn't mean bad though. I expect a high-quality experience, but there's going to be more emphasis on production values than having a complex rules implementation that might turn some gamers off. Swen has already hinted at that.
I also think this. It is the reason they have not talked about or shown any of the systems and mechanics yet. They want to keep the hype of the core fans for as long as possible. Atm, I think we are in for a surprise not everybody will like.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Will the Ranger Class be changed?