The Witcher 2 - Flora Mods Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
DSOGaming has news of two mods that overhauls how The Witcher 2 renders grass, and vegetation.

NeoGAF’s member ‘EatChildren’ has released a pretty interesting – yet demanding – mod for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. According to its creator, this mod dramatically increases grass rendering distance, renders distant tree moss, presents full detail bushes/shrubs over entire fields, maximizes the quality of trees at any distance, and completely eliminates grass pop-in. In short, this mod makes The Witcher 2 look even more beautiful than before.

EatChildren has released two versions of his mod: Extreme Quality Flora v1.0 (this version enhances the rendering distance and quality of all flora: grass, bushes, shrubs, trees, weeds, ferns, and so on) and Infinite Grass Render Distance v1.0 (this version enhances the rendering distance and quality of grass only. Suitable for lower end systems and those who prefer performance over image quality. Do not use this mod if using the Extreme Quality Flora, as that already covers grass).
More information.

Last edited:
Grass pop-in? Never noticed that.
But no matter, I guess I'll be using this mod when I get to replay TW2. Any word about possible min requirements for it? I mean... If they want me to have 2 Titans for it...

Grass pop-in? Never noticed that.
But no matter, I guess I'll be using this mod when I get to replay TW2. Any word about possible min requirements for it? I mean… If they want me to have 2 Titans for it…

I would stick with the second one.:)

I'm using a sweet fx mod and the second one with no problems. The extreme one will need a powerful rig to run. The author of the mod says it causes a huge Performance hit.

The files seem to be available on The Witcher 2 Nexus now (here and here). So take your pick the links above are the nexus.

Last edited:
A mod that reduces the frame rate for Witcher 2 even lower than vanilla? No thanks. ;-)

This was the most demanding game I've ever tried to run on my PC. Never managed to finish it because it was too laggy, even after reducing below native resolution.

A mod that reduces the frame rate for Witcher 2 even lower than vanilla? No thanks. ;-)

This was the most demanding game I've ever tried to run on my PC. Never managed to finish it because it was too laggy, even after reducing below native resolution.
You should use a sweetfx mod they enable ubersampling without the FPS hit. You turn off AA in the game launcher as the mod handles it much better.

I can recommended two Here, and Here

It would be nice to have something that would actually push my system but I'm not sure how much difference this would make.

I don't usually pay too much attention to details in the distance I'm too busy focusing on the thing directly around me.

You should use a sweetfx mod they enable ubersampling without the FPS hit. You turn off AA in the game launcher as the mod handles it much better.

I can recommended two Here, and Here

I don't need ubersampling or enhanced graphics, I can't even run the game with no AA at all.

With AA turned off, all the settings dialed down, and reducing the resolution from 1080p to 720p, the game is still a bit too laggy. Unless there is some sort of mod that increases the frame rate beyond vanilla, I suspect I'll need to hold off on Witcher 2 until I buy a new computer.

I'm able to run lots of more recent games smoothly at 1080p, including Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Not sure if Witcher 2 is poorly optimized or why it would be so much more demanding than any other game I've ever tried.

I'll try to remember the grass mod for whenever I get around to replaying TW2. The distant grass popping in was something I definitely noticed while playing.

@CountChocula - What kind of graphics card are you using? TW2 is definitely a very demanding game, but you should have been able to run it smoothly with the settings dialed down if you can run the other games you mentioned.

I don't need ubersampling or enhanced graphics, I can't even run the game with no AA at all.

With AA turned off, all the settings dialed down, and reducing the resolution from 1080p to 720p, the game is still a bit too laggy. Unless there is some sort of mod that increases the frame rate beyond vanilla, I suspect I'll need to hold off on Witcher 2 until I buy a new computer.

I'm able to run lots of more recent games smoothly at 1080p, including Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Not sure if Witcher 2 is poorly optimized or why it would be so much more demanding than any other game I've ever tried.

I can't run it on my rig either. Waiting to upgrade before I play it.

Well then you need a new computer if you can't run the game on low. What video card are you using?

Not sure if that is the problem people are experiencing here but quite a few people have "lag" problems with TW2 that doesn't really have to do with the performance of your hardware. Similar troubles existed with TW1 as well. It isn't so much about low framerates rather than actual "lag". Its very noticeable especially in combat, it affects input and especially the mouse movement a lot. If you search a bit around you'll find quite a few posts about this.

Back
Top Bottom