Underworld Ascendant - More Reviews

Anyway…has anybody here actually played this? I backed it, so I own the damn thing, but I was kinda wanting to avoid it until it's patched up. Is is really so bad that updates couldn't make it worth playing?

I played the final Beta and it was pretty bad. They seem serious about continuing to work on it though, and they've already made some changes. I'n not sure if it could ever be a good game though.

It has some fundamental flaws (returning to the same levels over and over, opening the same chests over and over, no dialogs with characters, very weak story, etc.) that you can either ignore, or hate and stop playing because they won't change.

And it has quite a few fixable issues (serious performance issues in some levels, sometimes arrows stop working, a lot of holes in the geometry, the safe system, etc.) which you can either wait for being fixed, or ignore and just try to play it anyway

I did the latter - I played it through. There were some fun parts, even intense. But in the end all the reviews are right. And while they are actively working on patches, you can't be sure they will be able to fix all the issues (time & budget constraints?).

Last edited:
It has some fundamental flaws (returning to the same levels over and over, opening the same chests over and over, no dialogs with characters, very weak story, etc.) that you can either ignore, or hate and stop playing because they won't change.

Weren't the levels different when you returned to them though? That was one of the developer's claims. They said things would evolve as timed passed in the game and that the levels would reflect that.

Well, with the doom counter increasing over time, more - and more dangerous - enemies get spawned in a level. And little fire erupting volcanoes are added here and there. (Those are not dangerous though.) I wouldn't really call that "evolving" IMHO. Physics objects, wooden constructions and chests are always at the same place, with chests having bigger loot later in the game. Neither are enemy positions random.

If they really wanted evolving levels, they should have made certain areas only accessible later on, but that doesn't really happen. It's true there are some doors that are locked and you only get the keys later, but there's always a way around them, AFAIK.

The state of a level never saves, that's all.

One of the best features in Ascendant are the wooden constructions that burn down when you put them on fire. It looks impressive sometimes. But as soon as you notice that they're back in place when you get back to a level, immersion is somewhat gone.

bNpoFLE.jpg

In the end I think they just missed the opportunity here for an interesting in-game story. For example, the whole plot could be around being dead and returning to memories again and again.

This might have softened the ludonarrative dissonance of UA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom