What's the best gig you've been to?

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I had kids in recent years so I've not been getting out much, even before the lockdowns and all that stuff. So inevitably I've been thinking about days of old when I'd actually get out from time to time, and that got me thinking about the best gigs I've ever been to.

I've been lucky enough to see some great bands over the years - sometimes in their heyday like Portishead, Radiohead, and Pulp, or sometimes at the latter ends of their careers like Richie Havens, Elvis Costello and Lou Reed. There are too many honourable mentions to go into!

I'm a metaller at heart though and I think the best gig I ever went to was Sepultura at the Manchester Apollo on December 12th 1996. They'd just released Roots and were at the height of their powers. Me and my mates, some of whom weren't fans, drove over from Sheffield in high spirits, and got down to the front for the action. And they were just blisteringly good - the rhythms and energy were amazing, the band were just so up for it, and the crowd were nuts. It was one of those gigs where it seemed like everyone in the room was bouncing up and down for the whole set - we were all exhausted when it finished! :) Even the non-metallers were impressed. It really stuck with me as a properly amazing show. Especially as four days afterwards, Max Cavellera, the singer, quit the band and it was never the same again.

So, favourite gigs - what's yours?

Hmm too many to choose but some stand out

Einstuerzende Neubauten on the halber mensch tour was very special
Coil in christiana (the Hippie area of copenhagen) don´t know what year probably late 90s
Lee Hazlewood on his last tour

will probably have different favourites the next hour

Also I saw Sepultura a lot of times in the early 90s they were always very good but at least for me not up there among the absolute best on the other hand I didn´t see them as late as 96

Don't ask me the year, it's probably a decade ago.
Anyway I went to Korn concert with a friend of mine, not expecting much. Let's say it was on a whim like "well they're like dinosaurs already, maybe we won't see them ever again, maybe we should go", "but of course we'll go!".
And everything, not only the concert, but the trip there, getting another friend to come with us who never cared about numetal or Korn, preparation (read getting drunk), postconcert (read betonize ourselves with even more alcohol), returning back… The whole thing was a blast.

It just happened the three of us clicked at that point, unexpectedly and abnormally. We were already friends, but had no idea we could have such a good time if noone except us is around.
Sadly, life is cruel and civilization is still pathetic, due to different jobs we had to split. Everyone in different town, we don't see each other today. One day however we'll repeat it. It's a promise we gave each other.

Just so you know. There was no pot involved in this case. Oddly, right? ;)
Only hectolitres of different booze, a bit of soul, tons of honesty, no restrains and not a single moment of feeling insulted although every minute you could hear another "fukk you". :)

I haven't been to many gigs, because when I was young I had plenty of anxiety/crowd issues. Submerging it under alcohol helped sometimes, but I missed a ton of great bands. I like various types of metal, so when no one would come with me to see Pungent Stench (Austrian death metal band) in the early 90s, I didn't go, even though I lived a five minute walk from the bar they were playing in. I hated myself for a while...

Of the ones my wife (then girlfriend) managed to drag me to, I enjoyed seeing Faith No More the most. It was the King for a Day tour in the mid 90s.
Unfortunately she also got dragged me to crap like Crowded House, but in the end I got the girl so it all worked out. :p

It's hard to choose, but I saw Leonard Cohen perform in the grounds of Eastnor Castle, which culminated in the burning of a full-size wicker man (minus Edward Woodward or Nicholas Cage), and fireworks display. Absolute magic, with a fantastic crowd.

EDIT: a couple more pics from that festival.

From the hill.

Rock on.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed a Billy Joel-Elton John concert at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, MO USA. When you have two premier pianists that can play each other's stuff flawlessly, it makes for a pretty unique experience.

Hmm, so many to choose from, The Cure, Mono, Explosions in the Sky, Bjork, Slowdive, L7, split Enz, Roxy Music, Placebo, Dire Straights, Queen (1976 Night at the Opera your), The Church, Radio Birdman etc etc.

If i’m forced to choose? Early 1984, three band bill. Lowest band (first up) was INXS, followed by The Pretenders, followed by Talkin Heads (Stop Making Sense tour). Just wow!!!

Early 1984, three band bill. Lowest band (first up) was INXS, followed by The Pretenders, followed by Talkin Heads (Stop Making Sense tour). Just wow!!!

I'd have some of that.

Hard to pick just one....

NENA 2000
Shakira 2003
Simon & Garfunkel 2004
Bosco Fresh Fest - 2013 - weirdest experience.

Honorable mention to Shania Twain 2004... the first and only 'country music' concert I've ever been to or plan on going to again.

I really enjoyed a Billy Joel-Elton John concert at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, MO USA. When you have two premier pianists that can play each other's stuff flawlessly, it makes for a pretty unique experience.

I would have loved to see Billy Joel.. maybe one day....

I've seen many concerts in my days, which are now behind me, but two really stand out because of not only the music, but how they were unique.

The first was Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, with Elastica opening, this was maybe ninety-five or so? Anyways, due to a wicked snowstorm that lasted for hours, we were all trapped together for a long time....and it was bloody marvelous.

The second was David Bowie's fiftieth birthday party, and all sorts of guests showed, we're talking people like Lou Reed, Robert Smith, and many others. This was very early in ninety-seven I believe, and quite possibly the best show I've ever seen.

Having to pick just two is tough, and leaving out greats like Radiohead, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Pantera, Ozzy......really difficult. I've been rather fortunate in the shows I've seen, and I'll treasure them always.

A nice thread for some genuine nostalgia; good one Pongo!

I'd certainly recommend the site setlist.fm if you want to take it one step further and try and fill in some hazy details from any gigs that you have attended.
Maybe other users have already done the hard yards and you'll get all of the relevant information.
In your case Pongo, it looks like it was a memorable show for many others too:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sepultura/1996/manchester-apollo-manchester-england-3d2ed37.html

I've enjoyed going to musical acts ever since I was a teenager - it became a vital part of my university experience as well. I loved going to the local "Bridge Mall Inn" and supporting our small music scene and really missed it when the pub shut down.

The biggest show (not counting festivals) I saw was probably Heaven & Hell at Rod Laver Arena in August 2007. I still have the poster for it hung up on a door. I love Toni Iommi and Geezer Butler and this was the first and only time I'd ever see them perform live.
I saw Ozzy in '98 at Festival Hall but and despite my positioning not being great (extreme right) it was still a memorable show.

Bands that I missed seeing live much to my chagrin!
- Kyuss (In '94 they supported Metallica but I was too young! I saw them minus Josh Homme many years later.)
- Soundgarden (I chose to go to the beach with family for a holiday instead...ugh!)
- Black Sabbath (Mach 1) (I was born too late sadly)

Some more of my favourite gigs:
https://www.setlist.fm/concerts/Bailsofdoom78

Also I saw Sepultura a lot of times in the early 90s they were always very good but at least for me not up there among the absolute best on the other hand I didn´t see them as late as 96
Yeah I'd seen them before on the Chaos AD tour and thought they were really good but not amazing. I'm not sure what was different in 1996 - possibly the crowd being more up for it, possibly my mates, possibly the new album (I actually prefer Chaos AD, but Roots gave them more variety for the live show I think).

If i’m forced to choose? Early 1984, three band bill. Lowest band (first up) was INXS, followed by The Pretenders, followed by Talkin Heads (Stop Making Sense tour). Just wow!!!
That sounds amazing! What were INXS like live? I'd love to have seen them - Kick was one of the soundtracks of my youth, an absolutely fantastic album.

Pantera are a band I never saw, which I regret to this day (along with Soundgarden and Nirvana, who I had an opportunity to see in the early nineties but turned it down to do something else… doh)

I'd certainly recommend the site setlist.fm

I didn't know about that - its great! I've just been looking up setlists from gigs I've been to over the years, its a nostalgic blast. :)

The biggest show (not counting festivals) I saw was probably Heaven & Hell at Rod Laver Arena in August 2007. I still have the poster for it hung up on a door. I love Toni Iommi and Geezer Butler and this was the first and only time I'd ever see them perform live.

Missing Heaven and Hell with Ronnie James Dio is another one on my list of regrets - one of my mates was going to one of the UK shows but I decided not to for some long forgotten reason. Just shows you have to take this opportunities when they come up, you don't know when you'll never get another chance.

I will go a different direction. I could say The Who, Stevie Nicks, or Iron Maiden. But back in the day I saw a great rap concert with some of the best rappers ever.

Eric B and Rakim
Public Enemy
Run DMC
EPMD

That concert was super stupid fresh and fly as shit. :thumbsup: Plus me and my boy picked up some fly girls and kicked it.

Last edited:
Iron Maiden.
I love Iron Maiden - I've seen them more often than any other band I think! During their Blaze Bailey phase of playing small, half empty venues, I actually waited by the stage door after one of their Sheffield Town Hall gigs to meet them, sadly enough. :) I thought I might get them to sign something for me. There were four or five of us there and it was drizzling a bit. After a while, Blaze Bayley popped out the stage door and enthusiastically dragged us backstage for a cup of tea and a chat with the band, who were friendly and cheerful despite having just finished a set and being knackered. It was really chilled and a nice gesture, although I came across as a star struck weirdo I imagine! They way Iron Maiden looked after fans during their leaner years really reflected well on them.

I've never been to a rap gig that I remember, unless at a festival or something I guess. I imagine it could have a lot of energy though!

What a great thread!!!

I didn't go much to concerts in my younger days, but after that I've been to a few.

Musically the best gig for me was Dream Theater's "Images and Words" 25 years anniversary tour.

Visually, few things beat the two Pink Floyd concerts I attended.

As a total experience, however, my favourite is a show by Anathema (after their Weather Systems album). We were in a very small arena (150 people at most), and stood/sat very close to the band. So close that we could actually talk to them.

Two runner-ups would be the (highly original) show by Magma I attended some years ago. And the "Power to Believe" concert by King Crimson.

a pibbur who during these 21st Century days, in order to not be Attahked by Species of Small Furry viruses, prefer to be Untouchable and stay at Home, not going to concerts.

Last edited:
Fleetwood Mac. Because I thought I'd never see them in my whole life. Here in Europe.

Second : Peter Gabriel. Why ? As above.

Third : Genesis 2007. Now THAT was FUN ! :) (For me, as a fan. ;) )

Other notable gigs :

OMD in 2014 ... I've felt 20 years younger then ! ;)
Mike & The Mechanics - because another Genesis member ... Ray Wilson - the underrated Genesis member ... and finally . Phil Collins 1 Then FINNALLY ! I could get to hear the song "Take Me Home" life ! :)

The "Night Of The Proms" concert series is also great. Having seen the original Beach Boys there a few years ago ... oh, wow ! I though I'd never see them in my life !

No love for Kraftwerk?

My first kraftwerk gig in 91 is certainly among the best I´ve seen

Back
Top Bottom