VTM - Swansong - RPG System

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Here's the developers diary about RPG mechanics, character development and lore of 3D vampire adventure-like RPG Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong:

Swansong RPG - RPG system & lore

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

cannot wait, looks promising !

did you play their previous game? The Council, I think it was called?

I didn't, but it looked interesting, if flawed. I have decently high hopes for this one. I'd like to play a good World of Darkness game, but all the ones that come out look pretty crap and I've yet to buy any.

I think calling this an RPG is a bit of a stretch. It looks like an adventure game with some RPG elements tacked on. It reminds me of Call of Cthulhu.

Also, is this an Epic exclusive? There doesn't seem to be a Steam page, but it's on Epic.

I think calling this an RPG is a bit of a stretch. It looks like an adventure game with some RPG elements tacked on. It reminds me of Call of Cthulhu.

Also, is this an Epic exclusive? There doesn't seem to be a Steam page, but it's on Epic.

It wouldn't surprise me as the Werewolf game started out there too. It made it over to Steam in about a year.

The problem with the all kinds of negative vampire "hero" stereotype is it belongs to the Old World.. and that is dying before our eyes. So I definitely cannot identify with anything negative, especially a blood-sucking, life-stealing vampire. There are enough of them IRL already. And they have to go.

It's an interactive adventure novel with RPG elements. They just market it as an RPG because they can, and in the end it's to sell more copies to a broader audience.

There are a few games like this released in the last few years also.

I played and enjoyed The Council most of the time. It overstayed its welcome a bit towards the end, but overall it was a solid offering. If they expanded and refined on this in Swansong I will def play it.

BTW, I think you can get The Council for a 5er during sales and for that is worth a try.

did you play their previous game? The Council, I think it was called?

I didn't, but it looked interesting, if flawed. I have decently high hopes for this one. I'd like to play a good World of Darkness game, but all the ones that come out look pretty crap and I've yet to buy any.

nope, but gonna have a look at it ! (after elex2)

I think calling this an RPG is a bit of a stretch. It looks like an adventure game with some RPG elements tacked on.

I dont think so. The game doesnt have combat, but still has RPG system, skill trees, different solutions, choices in story, different endings.
This way you could say that Disco Elysium is not RPG, because it doesnt have combat.

Its quite possible that it is.

I dont think so. The game doesnt have combat, but still has RPG system, skill trees, different solutions, choices in story, different endings.
This way you could say that Disco Elysium is not RPG, because it doesnt have combat.

Different solutions, choices in story, and different endings are in many adventure games. Having a skill tree doesn't automatically make something an RPG. The fact that they're labeling this as a "narrative RPG" tells me it's probably a hybrid at best.

Back
Top Bottom