Assassin's Creed: Infinity - Darby McDevitt is Back

Redglyph

proud GASP member
GamingBolt reports that Lead Writer and Narrative Director Darby McDevitt is back after leaving Ubisoft earlier this year.

Assassin's Creed Lead Writer And Narrative Director Returns To Ubisoft

The Assassin's Creed series has been going now for a long time, and largely serves as a key pillar to Ubisoft's release schedule. The franchise looks to be in for some big changes soon, with the upcoming Infinity title, something that is being said to be a live service title though not free to play. It'll be very interesting to see what direction the series will go in the future, but today we found out that no matter what that future holds, a familiar face is back at the company.

Earlier this year, it was announced that Darby McDevitt, who served as the Lead Writer and Narrative Director of the franchise, left the company. McDevitt helped create stories for Assassin's Creed going all the way back to Revelations and has served as a key storyteller since. As he revealed to VGC, McDevitt is now returning to the company, saying that upon reflection he decided that Ubisoft is the place to continue his career.

It's unclear what role McDevitt will play in the upcoming new direction for Assassin's Creed, but most likely he'll be involved in the story aspect heavily as he has in the past.
More information.

So, that is the guy responsible of those totally unwelcome intrusions of 'modern' times in the last 3 games? The only ones I have ever appreciated in this long series?

A bit like if you are playing a horror game and every few hours you are thrown into some totally unrelated 'My little Pony' world for few minutes and back to the horror.

Can't say I would have missed him.

So, that is the guy responsible of those totally unwelcome intrusions of 'modern' times in the last 3 games? The only ones I have ever appreciated in this long series?
Can't say I would have missed him.

I doubt that main writer is the main person responsible for that. There are more people and more powerful in Ubi that push "diversity" in these games.

What setting/era is AC: Infinity going to use?

Its multi setting/era project.
It should be more "fragmented" to add different series of missions in different eras throughout many years of this "flagship of online service". :)

Yes, I wish they got rid of that dual setting and kept to the interesting part. But it didn't bother me that much.

Turning this into a paying service, however, means I'll be even less inclined to play AC. It looks as if it had more and more the feeling of an MMO, except it's primarily a single-player campaign. I say "it looks" because I haven't played since Syndicate.

I enjoy the modern day scenes, and the AC games would be significantly less meaningful to me without them.

I am concerned about Infinity being a potentially big change to how games are presented. There isn't enough information for me to be concerned about anything in particular, but I've enjoyed all of the main line AC games so far and if there is a big change then it might be in an unwelcome direction.

I don't like DLC add-ons to games, because they feel like unnecessary short stories which are after I've already completed and enjoyed a long game, typically doing something monumental by the end only to have to focus on a meaningless short story afterwards. So hopefully Infinity doesn't just mean tacking on short stories month after month after a primary story arc.

The update from July talked about the future of the series and the new online service.

Link - https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/arti...d-the-future-of-the-assassins-creed-franchise
What is Assassin's Creed infinite? Assassin's Creed: Infinity is the title or codename for an upcoming main installment in the Assassin's Creed series. It will be a live-service platform that incorporates multiplayer and span numerous historical settings.
Link - https://www.techradar.com/news/assa...o-know-about-the-new-assassins-creed-platform
Assassin’s Creed is changing. The historical gaming franchise has never been afraid of evolution, whether jumping through time periods or transitioning from a stealth action game to more of an RPG. But developer Ubisoft’s next big project, Assassin’s Creed Infinity, could represent a seismic shift for the franchise itself, with the potential to fundamentally change how the series works.
So Darby McDevitt joining the studio does make sense. He wrote the past games.

So Darby McDevitt joining the studio does make sense. He wrote the past games.
It does. And he wasn't gone for long, just 7 months. I don't know the reason though, apparently to reflect on his career and try out something else.

It could be worse than just live service, they could add NFT. Yeah, seeing all that, it's really not for me anymore.

It could be worse than just live service, they could add NFT. Yeah, seeing all that, it's really not for me anymore.
Might happen as EA and Ubisoft keep talking about supporting NFT.

I'm not to keen on the focus of “play-to-earn” features in games.

It's already been added to one kickstarter RPG.:biggrin:

I see: games-as-a-service with added NFT bullshit. Fortunately, I can't think of any Ubisoft games I'll actually miss that much.

Last edited:
Might happen as EA and Ubisoft keep talking about supporting NFT.

I'm not to keen on the focus of “play-to-earn” features in games.

It's already been added to one kickstarter RPG.:biggrin:

Stormrite, I'm glad I didn't support them, they announced that once the KS was over. Blockchains are such a nonsense.

"Live service" is a keyword for me whenever I see it applied towards games, it means to avoid the game like I would the plague.

I hope they start charging a monthly fee just to play the next Assassin's Creed,
say, $12.99 a month. It's not just a game, but a lifestyle!

Hopefully a million different microtransanctions also will be available in-game, and stuffed to the gills with a ton of variety for what you can buy in the game...how exciting! (sarcasm)

I played almost all games in main series, but finished none, since AC2. When I think about it, I probably didnt finish any Ubisoft blockbuster since then. And considering available info, it doesnt seem Infinity will change that. Well, there is plenty other games out there :)

A bit like if you are playing a horror game and every few hours you are thrown into some totally unrelated 'My little Pony' world for few minutes and back to the horror.

That made me laugh... I feel the same way. Admittedly, I came to the AC games late in the series... I've only played Origins and Odyssey. It was always unwelcome and jarring whenever the "modern" scenes interrupted the historical setting the vast majority of the game takes place in.

Since I really don't have a feel for the history of this series, I never criticized this aspect of the games on message boards thinking there's a lot of history in this series and that a lot of people must like this - though it's admittedly good to read that I'm not alone.

The AC games aren't my primary go-to games anyway, I just enjoy them in between genres that I prefer more but need a break from them time to time.

I played almost all games in main series, but finished none, since AC2. When I think about it, I probably didnt finish any Ubisoft blockbuster since then. And considering available info, it doesnt seem Infinity will change that. Well, there is plenty other games out there :)

Sounds like me. I've tried pretty much every AC game, but I've never been able to finish any of them. I did like a lot of things about Odyssey though and probably would have played that one longer if not for some technical issues. I'm tempted to go back and give it another go.

Coincidently, I'm playing Far Cry 5 now and actually enjoying it quite a bit. I think it's going to be the first Ubi game I play to the end.

Back
Top Bottom