Neverwinter - Interviews, Commentary

Sounds like a tiny sort of mermaid. ;)

Requiring an online connection for single player games has done nothing to slow piracy so far.

How so? If you have to be authenticated by their servers while playing, seems like it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to circumvent that.

World Shift never sold here in Germany, I assume.

But outside ... maybe yes.

Which could mean that publishers might take a big round around Germany and try not to release things here.

How so? If you have to be authenticated by their servers while playing, seems like it's going to be difficult, if not impossible, to circumvent that.

I'm not quite sure how that works, but, for example, Starcraft II requires an internet connection to install and play even the single player, and I know people who were playing pirated versions 2 days after it was released.

I'm not quite sure how that works, but, for example, Starcraft II requires an internet connection to install and play even the single player, and I know people who were playing pirated versions 2 days after it was released.

Are you sure? You can play the single player completely legitimately, completely offline, on the guest account, so there's no need to pirate for single player. Do they have a way of playing it multiplayer perhaps?

Are you sure? You can play the single player completely legitimately, completely offline, on the guest account, so there's no need to pirate for single player. Do they have a way of playing it multiplayer perhaps?

You still have to activate the game online before you can play the single player. At least that was my experience.

You still have to activate the game online before you can play the single player. At least that was my experience.

Maybe, but you can just use a trial account to do that.

You avoid it by cracking the mechanism that polls an online server for verification, returning a fake "yes, this is verified" from a local file instead of an online server.

They cracked all the DLCs of Dragon Age without breaking a sweat, even making the pirated version easier to play because it does not require you to log in, and you don't actually end up naked if you lose your connection while wearing DLC armor.

I still use the original version with log-in etc, but I must admit it's getting rather silly when a cracked version is better than the original. Stealing customers get a better product than paying ones.

And how is a trial account different from a regular account in terms of verifying that it's a legitimate copy? Or perhaps we're not talking about the same thing…

Maybe. I guess I'm saying anyone can download a legitimate copy of the game from Blizzard, so I'm not sure why people would want to download an illegitimate copy.

No more disc checks.
But network checks.

Just being logged in once to verify the copy is not going to be what happens here, so just cracking and spoofing the verifier is not going to be enough for Neverwinter.

Private games will be hosted on the central server and probably passworded to keep them private.

To break this will require much more sophistication, probably along the lines of the Ultima Online shards where you spoof their servers outright. It would be quite a bit more difficult than just an online verification because you have to mimic something to host your game.

I say this with absolutely no interest in doing so of course.

===
One thing that is interesting about Neverwinter: not one peep about a console version.

One thing they mentioned was that in your 'private' area you could go in with a team of other players or some AI characters. I wonder if you will be able to control them AI characters.

Also, will you have to completely the quest (or module or whatever) in one session, or could you stop, reload and come back later to finish?

Maybe. I guess I'm saying anyone can download a legitimate copy of the game from Blizzard, so I'm not sure why people would want to download an illegitimate copy.

Perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding you, but that statement doesn't make any sense to me.

Wouldn't the obvious reason be to avoid paying the $59.99 that a legitimate download requires?

Back
Top Bottom