Death's Gambit: Afterlife - Review @ Gameffine

Redglyph

proud GASP member
Yemeth has reviewed Death's Gambit: Afterlife on Gameffine. Thanks Yemeth!

Death's Gambit: Afterlife Review :: The Overhaul Worth Dying For

Death's Gambit doesn't often get invited when people talk about games like Bloodstained, Hollow Knight and Blasphemous. While the latter ones enjoy a great deal of critical and fan reception, Death's Gambit feels left out due to its short length, lack of weapon variety, fewer boss fights, lack of polish and more. If you are someone who turned away due to these problems of the game, I got news for you. Afterlife, the massive free overhaul/expansion that's dropping today has made Death's Gambit the game it should have been 3 years ago. I can probably sum up my review with that, but that's not how we do things here.

[...]

Death's Gambit was a few tweaks away from being a genuinely good game. Afterlife enhances, rebalances as well as builds upon the base game giving the fans the much-needed replayability, and appease the players who were turned away 3 years ago. I still have a few gripes with the combat system, but the rest of the stuff is so good that it makes Death's Gambit: Afterlife a worthy purchase (or a free upgrade if you own the original). Did I mention that the game is extremely pretty to look at?

With less time and more wisdom at our disposal, we have decided to create a whole new rating system for the games we review: How many nights a week will we stay up after 11 PM 1 AM, once our family has gone to sleep on a workday and spend 2 hours with it, knowing full well that we need to enter the rat race at 8 AM the next morning? Well on that scale, we give Death's Gambit- Afterlife:

"A few hours per day, just enough to not throw the controller at the wall"
More information.

I've been on a Metroidvania binge lately and Death's Gambit only fueled my passion for the genre even more. Even bought Castlevania: Advance Collection the other day (still hate myself for giving Konami the money, but oh well)

I've been on a Metroidvania binge lately and Death's Gambit only fueled my passion for the genre even more. Even bought Castlevania: Advance Collection the other day (still hate myself for giving Konami the money, but oh well)

Check out the Axiom Verge series if you haven't already. I haven't tried he second game yet, but I think the first game is one of the better metroidvanias released in recent years.

Hyper Light Drifter is another good one.

I love me some metroidvanias too. Lots of good ones in my opinion.

Blasphemous, Guacamelee, etc. And of course Ori and the best of the bunch: Hollow knight. In fact start with HK and Ori if you haven't already.

Check out the Axiom Verge series if you haven't already. I haven't tried he second game yet, but I think the first game is one of the better metroidvanias released in recent years.

Hyper Light Drifter is another good one.

I believe I have Axiom Verge on the Epic Games Store

I love me some metroidvanias too. Lots of good ones in my opinion.

Blasphemous, Guacamelee, etc. And of course Ori and the best of the bunch: Hollow knight. In fact start with HK and Ori if you haven't already.

Started both HK and Ori when they launched but never did find the time to sit down and finish them. One of these days

Back
Top Bottom