Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Christmas Dev Stream

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Owlcat devs talk for two hours about Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous:

Christmas Dev Stream!

This is our first stream of this kind, a dev stream, where we invited some awesome guests from the team! Including two CMs, two game designers, two narrative designers and the one and only creative director - Alexander Mishulin!
More information.

Yes, my 80 or 90 hours with the game would never suffice :)

IIRC you didn't finish the game (I think maybe about half way mark since you spent a lot of time playing with different builds). So yes, it doesn't suffice ;)

Sure, all the distinction reveals itself after you’ve completed half of the thing :)

Well, that, or it’s mostly imaginary.

Sure, all the distinction reveals itself after you’ve completed half of the thing :)

Well, that, or it’s mostly imaginary.

Definitely imginary on your part because we don't seem to have played the same game otherwise ;)

Throughout my 3 complete playthroughs I never had a feeling the game lacked distict content :)

I’m glad for you, though I can’t share your enthusiasm for the content.

Are you going to punish me for being naughty enough to have my own take? ;)

I think to deny there is a lot of filler content in Kingmaker is to have blinders on. The game should of have about 20-30 hours removed and it would of been a better game for it. The heavy re-use of maps (some maps were used up to 4 times) and Kingdom events certainly did not make the game better. I ended up rating the game a 8.5/10 (i.e. very good) but if they had of removed the filler content I would of probably given it a 9.

The they had of improved the endless waves of the exact same mobs in the final chapter I probably would of rated it even higher.

I think to deny there is a lot of filler content in Kingmaker is to have blinders on. The game should of have about 20-30 hours removed and it would of been a better game for it. The heavy re-use of maps (some maps were used up to 4 times) and Kingdom events certainly did not make the game better. I ended up rating the game a 8.5/10 (i.e. very good) but if they had of removed the filler content I would of probably given it a 9.

The they had of improved the endless waves of the exact same mobs in the final chapter I probably would of rated it even higher.

I guess you consider kingdom events as "filler" content? Definitely wasn't the case for me. I'm a Baroness/Queen after all, looking after the kingdom is part of my role and thus, meaningful content.

I do agree waves of Wild Hunts in HATEOT needed to be reduced though - with the Enhanced Edition, Owlcats replaced a portion of Wild Hunts mobs with other creatures which did make it feel less choresome.

I don't really understand the use of the term "filler content". Is anything that doesn't tie into the main story to be ascribed as filler? The game has its flaws (the last 10-15% for instance), but I personally loved the journey it took you on.

The heavy re-use of maps (some maps were used up to 4 times) and Kingdom events certainly did not make the game better.
(…)

QFT. (5 characters)

I guess you consider kingdom events as "filler" content? Definitely wasn't the case for me. I'm a Baroness/Queen after all, looking after the kingdom is part of my role and thus, meaningful content.

I do agree waves of Wild Hunts in HATEOT needed to be reduced though - with the Enhanced Edition, Owlcats replaced a portion of Wild Hunts mobs with other creatures which did make it feel less choresome.

No that is not what I said at all and I thought I was pretty clear. The problem I have is the EXACT same kingdom events. Some of the more common events happened 4-5+ times on my last playthrough. I am fine if they had distinct events but they don't. The solution should of been to create more event types or reduce the number of events.

The other main offender is the heavy re-use of maps (which I hated the most).

No that is not what I said at all and I thought I was pretty clear. The problem I have is the EXACT same kingdom events. Some of the more common events happened 4-5+ times on my last playthrough. I am fine if they had distinct events but they don't. The solution should of been to create more event types or reduce the number of events.

The other main offender is the heavy re-use of maps (which I hated the most).

No it was not clear at all, and there aren't that many kingdom events that gets repeated imo.

The re-use of maps in random encounters are common in so many games - not to mention you can so easily skip them.

The re-use of maps in random encounters are common in so many games - not to mention you can so easily skip them.

Yes you could skip them but that is still poor game design. Better to either create the content or leave it out. Filler content has no place in a game, it is just sloppy. And besides, due to the itemization in Kingmaker skipping isn't really an option. If you happen to specialize in a weapon i.e fighter it might just be the one map that happens to have the one decent weapon type for you.

You're not given the option to skip unique hostile encounters. Unless you're referring to the oddball +1 generic weapon found on random encounters; far better would be found in normal areas. I skipped probably 9/10 encounters or more and don't feel I missed anything. Baldur's Gate had such random encounters as well. And Fallout. Lot of quibbling over nothing.

Is anyone talking about the actual video in this thread? :S

Back
Top Bottom