|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced

Default Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced

January 27th, 2019, 00:05
Well I was going to wait for the final DLC but decided to play it now.

So any tips anyone?
--
"Not every game is crap, but most of them are. I said it so it's true." - Couchpotato

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Potato

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

January 27th, 2019, 02:05
Get violent for vegetables… oh wait, that was last game. This one is more about bacon (which I'm sure has NOTHING to do with the mascot in the 1st game).

The first few missions are plenty easy and make for a good tutorial. Once you need to attack their big line of defense, though, start saving right before you click on the map to start a mission. That will let you easily pop back and pick different people - like bringing more lancers if there are lots of tanks or swapping the mortars between anti-tank and anti-folks.

The AI is as dumb as a box of rocks but the game makes up for it by putting a lot of baddies out there.

Get Curtis knocked out then save him with a medic. His sister will show up afterward and join.

Normal soldiers can only get up to corporal rank. Once they hit that, you might want to swap him/her out and let somebody in that can use the xp. That helps get the character story missions, too.

The only place where you can really explore what characters can do is, for some weird reason, the equipment screen.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

January 28th, 2019, 16:03
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well I was going to wait for the final DLC but decided to play it now.

So any tips anyone?
Sure, but wait…
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Get violent for vegetables… oh wait, that was last game.
Someone played VC1 with silly dub. Turn it off and use original VO. There is no yelling "vegetables!".

Tips in that post are great, I'm adding a few additional tips of mine:

- Do not try to get A rank on a mission the first time you're playing it. Kill everything possible (so you grab special empirial weapons). Once you inspect the mission thoroughly, replay it to get A rank.

- When doing sidestories with 3 crewmembers make sure all 3 are corporals! A sidestory success if all are corporals adds them new traits or replaces bad ones for good ones. How to improve a soldier's rank? Select them to do something then end turn rince&repeat IIRC 40 times in skirmish, 20 times in a proper mission. Yea, grind.

- Always remove the default weapon from Grenadiers and put armor penetrating weapon instead. Always. Even when it looks like a bad idea. Just do it.

- Flamethrower is not useless. Use it to "burn" trashmobs hiding behind sandbags or in the grass.

- APC saves movement. Once you unlock it, drive three of your soldiers at any spot without them losing "stamina".
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

January 28th, 2019, 16:47
I received this as a Christmas gift, but haven't played it as of yet. I was actually thinking about replaying the other VC computer game before trying this one out, after I finish Tower of Time.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

January 29th, 2019, 03:18
New post from SEGA: https://steamcommunity.com/app/79082…6440036813058/

First, the AWOL DLC is now present and accounted for.

Second, anyone who bought any of the four older DLC items gets the two overdue DLC for free!

Third, anyone who buys one of those four DLC in the future gets the two overdue DLC for free as well!!

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Someone played VC1 with silly dub. Turn it off and use original VO. There is no yelling "vegetables!".
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n…E860C57CE2EC4/

- Do not try to get A rank on a mission the first time you're playing it. Kill everything possible (so you grab special empirial weapons). Once you inspect the mission thoroughly, replay it to get A rank.
You think? Most of those weapons seemed fairly pointless to me. Some weren't too bad though there's always a big trade-off somewhere, like much shorter range.

- When doing sidestories with 3 crewmembers make sure all 3 are corporals!
Definitely no need! One needs to be a corporal to get the story started but the rest get rewards just the same. I even had some characters that I never fielded once get one bad trait turned into a good one.

Always remove the default weapon from Grenadiers and put armor penetrating weapon instead. Always. Even when it looks like a bad idea. Just do it.
Errr, why? The anti-human… errr… anti-infantry ones have horrid aim but do pretty great. Anti-armor does OK against tanks (especially a CERTAIN tank) but won't always kill people that are crouching. Standard does enough armor to blow up turrets and kill off most people as long as you hit them over the head but is wasted against tanks.

- Flamethrower is not useless. Use it to "burn" trashmobs hiding behind sandbags or in the grass.
That's for sure! Flamethrowers show up once the infantry class gets to a certain level.

- APC saves movement. Once you unlock it, drive three of your soldiers at any spot without them losing "stamina".
I think it starts with 2 but it won't be long before you can upgrade to 3 and (eventually) 4 people. It will laugh off simple machine gun damage but heavier guns will cut it up. It's also great for busting up sandbags!

Oh, and speaking of free movement, VC4 has a new system where a leader can command two other soldiers to follow. You only get to do it once per turn but, if Claude is a scout, he can haul a lancer and a grenadier pretty far! About half way through the game, you'll get the ability to designate any one corporal as a leader so you might want to work those scouts until you get one at top rank. Engineers are good, too, and bring their own ammo.

There's also an assist system. If you shoot at an enemy while standing near another of your soldiers (other than a grenadier?), that soldier will shoot as well. Even the tank and APC will join in with some machine gun fire! Beware the snipers, though. They join in but they use their normal ammo to do it.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

January 29th, 2019, 04:03
Hum. Now for the game of the year version with all the dlc.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

January 29th, 2019, 05:38
New post from SEGA: https://steamcommunity.com/app/79082…6440036813058/

First, the AWOL DLC is now present and accounted for.

Second, anyone who bought any of the four older DLC items gets the two overdue DLC for free!

Third, anyone who buys one of those four DLC in the future gets the two overdue DLC for free as well!!
Fourth, anyone who preordered the game, that includes me, got Advance Ops and United Front with Squad 7 for free.
:thumbup: Sega!

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n…E860C57CE2EC4/
I think I mentioned yelling. Not subtitles.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)

January 29th, 2019, 16:50
So, assuming I understand this correctly, if you purchase one extra content package, you receive all of them? If so, that's great for the consumers, so I'm all behind it. Trying to think of the last time I cheered Sega on…..maybe when the Dreamcast was released.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

January 29th, 2019, 22:50
I think your understanding is incorrect.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
So, assuming I understand this correctly, if you purchase one extra content package, you receive all of them? If so, that's great for the consumers, so I'm all behind it. Trying to think of the last time I cheered Sega on…..maybe when the Dreamcast was released.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

January 30th, 2019, 03:22
Ahhh yes, reading too quickly is often one of my arch enemies!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced