Might & Magic - Clash of Heroes Preview @ G4TV

Dhruin

SasqWatch
When did Might & Magic become so jRPG? G4TV has a short article and a few screens on the NDS Might & Magic puzzle thing, Clash of Heroes. You'll need to like your ears pointy and your characters cute:
In some respects, Clash is a Zelda-esque Japanese RPG, complete with turn-based combat and conversations presented with anime-looking headshots and text boxes. The game is slated to include five major quests, plenty of fantasy figures (from knights to necromancers), and the usual mix of exploration, combat, and conversation you’d expect from the genre.
What sets this apart from most games in this genre, however, is how when you get to the aforementioned turn-based combat, the game becomes more of a puzzler. The idea is that you have to line up three of the same color units, with three vertical matches resulting in an attack, while three horizontal matches form a defensive wall. These matches are made by moving characters with the stylus, kind of like you would in Bejeweled. Not that you can just move your units all willy-nilly; you can only move so many per turn, though there are occasional special attacks — such as a magic arrow — that don’t count as a move.
More information.

Wot, thats M&M?? Wow. I mean I love anime and I love might and magic, but still... some things should not be mixed. Oh well.

There is a special place in hell reserved for those that do such things to great franchises.

Believe me I'm as disgusted as you at the 'MTV' terminology I'm about to use but... wow are they ever pimping the M&M brand here...

I saw some screens of this title a few days ago at Celestial Heavens. The new art style is complete garbage in my humble opinion. HoMMV had colourful yet still very decent distinct style and Dark Messiah of M&M was akin to dark&gritty(tm). AFAIK the original might and magic series was somewhere between those two.

I saw this previewed a couple of days ago, and thought they'd used the wrong screenshots for the game.

I *so* don't get it.

I mean, it's not like they are going to be attracting *ANY* of the existing fans with this game, so they might as well start over. So why are they calling it Might & Magic? Sounds to me like some less-than-brilliant marketing VP didn't know what to do with a generic anime RPG/ puzzle game and said, "Hey, I got an idea" and they slapped the brand on it with very little thought.

Let's hope this game never becomes the fan favorite in the series. Otherwise we might all have to meet somewhere and toast some Kool-Aid.

The fact that it had nothing much to do with Warlords didn't make Puzzle Quest any less fun, and this one looks like it might even surpass PQ.

I'm with RampantCoyote ... Might & Magic means little to my kids even, let alone those without RPG-daddies ...

The game itself actually looks interesting to me, just don't get the franchise tie-in. But then there were a billion Japanese Wizardry games, even one called Asterick!

Yeah. Sell licenses to people far, far away living from the *original* audience ...

... And hope nobody notices ...

Dear Ubisoft

STOP raping one of the greatest game series ever created. And by the way, attaching 'Might and Magic' to the title doesn't make it so. Might and Magic =/= Japanese so called RPG.

You can bake and frost dog poop all you want and call it a cake, but it's still dog poop.

STOP raping one of the greatest game series ever created. And by the way, attaching 'Might and Magic' to the title doesn't make it so. Might and Magic =/= Japanese so called RPG.

... or an action game from a couple of years ago either ...

Back
Top Bottom