The Ascent - Review @ RPGFan - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Ascent - Review @ RPGFan

Default The Ascent - Review @ RPGFan

October 13th, 2021, 13:47
RPGFan reviewed The Ascent, and didn't like it so much.

The Ascent

Boy howdy do I love me some cyberpunk. Action RPGs, top-down shooters, always-night cities, dingy everything -- sign me up! The Ascent is distinctly cyberpunk. Artistically similar to the Shadowrun series on PC, The Ascent turns the visuals up to eleven. Not only is this a technically beautiful game, but the degree of detail in every single location is staggering and borderline intimidating. Match those visuals with astounding voice acting and engrossing vignettes from passersby as players explore the world, and what's not to love? Well, the gameplay and bugs, for starters.

[…]

Pros

Shocking level of detail, outstanding voice acting, a visual sense of personality.

Cons

Some of the most poorly executed and planned game design in recent memory, bugs everywhere, shallow central narrative.

Bottom Line

I know this is beautiful -- how bad could it be -- but please avoid it at all costs, no matter how cheap it is on sale.

Overall Score: 58/100
More information.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)

October 13th, 2021, 14:16
I played this for a few hours but gave up because of the world; the map is useless, i think its one of the worst designs ever, also mobs respawns almost instantly.

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

October 13th, 2021, 18:03
I'm still playing this and enjoying it. I think the world and level design is spectacular - that's a real highlight for me. The combat is decent for an ARPG. Character progression, loot etc is also pretty good. The story is meh to me… but then many ARPGs I've played fall in that category. As tot he map, I don't have any problems with it… I haven't had any issues getting around the world.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

October 13th, 2021, 18:58
The timed events got me, it just seemed to need you to do them over and over and you might eventually get through. I liked the setting and some of the gameplay elements.

kborom

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 13th, 2021, 20:26
I totally agree with this review.

I played it a few hours and got bored quickly.

The world looks really nice, the shooting was ok-ish…

But it's difficult and time consuming to travel aronund, the enemies just keep respawning too quickly and such a visually rich world deserved more depth, that this genre of game can't give it.

After a few hours, I was just feeling that I was wasting my time and having no fun.

Gwendo

Watchdog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

October 13th, 2021, 20:28
Seems like very mixed results. I hadn't known there were timed events, another negative then. Had debated getting it for just the visuals but guess I will continue to hold off for now. Will continue to monitor development and dev posts, user comments and feedback, and see what, if anything, comes from it.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

October 13th, 2021, 20:32
I will get it in some sale for the setting alone. But I fully expect to be bored quickly as with most ARPGs.

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 14th, 2021, 00:04
Interesting to read the feedback here too.

Just watching a bit of gameplay gave me the impression this could be fun and enjoyable, but it seems it's mostly superficial. Ah well, plenty more fish in the sea.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

October 14th, 2021, 00:07
Finally a negative review only posted months after the game launched though. Anyway I forgive you Mr or Mrs journalist. Only because I agree with most of the criticism.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)

October 14th, 2021, 02:09
I didn't really care for it either. The visuals are fantastic, but, like most action-RPGs, it quickly became very repetitive to me.

To be fair though, I'm not the target audience, and I only played it for a few hours. I do like the fact that loot is hand-placed rather than randomized.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
+1:

October 14th, 2021, 02:59
Well that's all disappointing to hear. It's on my list waiting for a Steam sale. Now a really cheap sale if at all.

mbuddha

Sentinel

October 14th, 2021, 03:15
It is disturbing to me that such an apparently mediocre game (which I do not have) received a large percentage of very positive reviews in its first week. That presents a cautionary tale, similar to Deathloop (which I also do not have) which also seems similarly cool in the beginning but not fun overall and yet received mainly glowing early reviews. Most if not all of those early-ish reviews of The Ascent gave me an impression of a not-great story, and that is a big reason I skipped this game, but the overall was so positive that I put it on my wish list maybe for the future.

The Ascent (but not Deathloop) is still on my wish list but it'd have to be on a huge sale for me to want it.

NFLed

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

October 14th, 2021, 09:41
Originally Posted by NFLed View Post
It is disturbing to me that such an apparently mediocre game (which I do not have) received a large percentage of very positive reviews in its first week. That presents a cautionary tale, similar to Deathloop (which I also do not have) which also seems similarly cool in the beginning but not fun overall and yet received mainly glowing early reviews. Most if not all of those early-ish reviews of The Ascent gave me an impression of a not-great story, and that is a big reason I skipped this game, but the overall was so positive that I put it on my wish list maybe for the future.
I like the irony with the game title though.

That's why I posted the review, even though we've had several on release already. Early reviews are often rushed by critics who are eager to keep receiving pre-release games and rake in more audience. I never trust those critics but I look at the pros and cons, which reveal some info about the game. But not always apparently, here Shacknews liked the "extensive lore and world building", and most disliked the cluttered map and its navigation. Here RPGFan like the level of detail but finds the narrative shallow, which seems contradictory.

The audience of the Watch is used to story-driven RPGs for the most part, I'm not surprised they (we) have higher expectations than sites which are usually reviewing shooters.

Curiously, this game is not on Metacritic, so I only saw "stats" on Steam. The players found it "mostly positive", but steam only has a binary vote system which only gives a poor feedback.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

October 15th, 2021, 20:46
Originally Posted by NFLed View Post
The Ascent (but not Deathloop) is still on my wish list but it'd have to be on a huge sale for me to want it.
I kept both on my list, I still believe the hype for Deathloop lol

mbuddha

Sentinel

October 15th, 2021, 21:44
I had considered picking this game up at some point, but there are just too many decent games being released lately, and not enough time. Probably something I'll never play in the end, although it looked promising at times.
--
Who am I? I am the only way the Universe has to feel, to dream, and to be aware of itself.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Ascent - Review @ RPGFan