Black Geyser - Linux/macOS Support

Redglyph

proud GASP member
GrapeOcean Technologies continues to regularly update the Early Access release of Black Geyser, this time by adding builds for Linux and macOS.

Update #12 Is Here Bringing Mac & Linux Support

Ho there, adventurers!

Our 12th update is a significant milestone for Black Geyser, as it delivers the long awaited Mac & Linux update. We wanted to thank you all for your patience as we worked on this release, and we're also happy to say it brings with it a whole host of additional improvements, including more global performance tweaks. Here's the full details:

Fixes and improvements

• Added Mac & Linux builds
  • Global performance improvements
  • Party members can now be revived regardless of being gibbed on lower difficulties
  • Party members now respawn in full equipment when revived at temples at Novice and Normal Difficulties
  • Party members now respawn without equipment when revived at temples at Veteran Difficulty
  • Original party order is now restored when reviving party members
  • Summoning creatures now properly attack any hostile creature
  • Characters now receive bonuses from currently equipped projectiles only
  • Formations are now retained when traveling between areas
  • Creature groups now react properly to having a member attacked (whole group is called)
  • Improved accuracy of attribute and class descriptions during character generation
  • Move commands while using formation no longer send characters over walls anymore
  • Quests "Trails and Tribulations" and "The City of Iron" now give better directions for objectives
  • The "Trapped Under the Surface" quest now gives better directions for objectives
  • Added a stableman to the Garden of Delights for the "Ostler For a Day" quest
More information.

Good for all the Linux/macOS players but I expect there a small minority.

Maybe with Win11 people will realize it's time to switch to Linux. The difficult question will not be how to get a TPM chip or how to remove all the adware MS has poured into the OS, but the much saner discussion of which distribution to use. ;)

If every game I'm interested in had reliable Linux support (and didn't take a significant period of time after the Windows release) I'd gladly stop giving Micro$oft ~$100 every time I get a new PC. Unfortunately, so many never get official Linux support and I really don't feel like trying to make every game work with Proton, Wine etc., so I end up just getting Windows and shutting off Cortana and all the other stupid features I don't want.

I really don't feel like trying to make every game work with Proton, Wine etc.,
You know what this process nowadays looks like for most games?
Just click on play. That's it.

In rare cases, you might need to switch to a different Proton version, which can just be done in the game settings on Steam.

In even rarer cases, something else might be necessary, but the times where you had to fiddle around with manual Wine prefixes and whatnot are well and truly over.
Honestly, the chance you can get something to run manually that doesn't just work out of the box with Proton plus maybe a launch parameter is basically zero.

I had to switch to Windows two times in the last three years for a game, that's it.
The rest was above experience.

And if you're not into Steam, there are "just click on play" solutions for GOG, EGS, etc. as well.

I'd still recommend a dual boot for those games that simply won't run on Linux and some multiplayer games' anti-cheat that wrongfully detect Linux players as hackers, but even that is almost resolved now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom