Knights of the Chalice - Steam Release: August 23

Launching KotC 1 on Steam tomorrow!

Hello all, thank you for the kind words about KotC 1 and KotC 2!

I'm launching KotC 1 on Steam tomorrow (11 am US Pacific time). Hopefully all will go well! :D Just in case, here is the link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1083760/Knights_of_the_Chalice/

I sent an update about KotC 1 and KotC 2 to RPG Watch and the other news outlets yesterday, so hopefully RPG Watch will post something about the games soon. :)

I hear you guys about the token-based graphics style of KotC 2. Here is what I say about it in the latest update: In response to player feedback about the token-based graphics style of KotC 2, I am planning to expand the engine so that it will allow the use of animated sprites in future adventures modules.

The idea here is to allow both tokens and animated sprites to be used for the game's player characters, NPCs and monsters. A number of people have expressed a preference for the sprite-based graphics style employed in KotC 1.

lackblogger, I think that for a number of people, there is an issue of trust when buying from a small website, so that's why for them it's important that a game be available on Steam and not only on the developer's website.

About hot-keys for casting spells in KotC 1: there is a key to open the spellbook and another to activate a magic wand. There are no hot-keys for specific spells, but the game keeps track of the spells recently used by a character, so that shortcut spell icons can be displayed in the main view below the normal combat actions.

About using the keyboard to move: yes actually you can, you just have to use the numeric-keypad arrow keys. This allows you to move in the eight directions.

Also lackblogger, I think I agree with your view point that it's probably more important for a game to have easy access to a spellbook than to have quick slots to access individual spells quickly. Because it's better if the game encourages the player to use a good variety of spells instead of using Fireball all the time.

But I guess it would not hurt a game to have quick-spell slots in addition to easy spellbook casting. In KotC 2, most of the keys are already assigned to various actions like five-foot step or ranged attack, but I could certainly have player-customised key combinations like Alt + 1 for Fireball, Alt + 2 for Cone of Cold, Alt + 3 for Heal, etc. I will certainly consider implementing this system as part of the Kickstarter campaign.

Cheers everyone, best regards!

Great to see you here representing your product, Blue!!! I plan on picking up KoTC 1 via steam just for the convenience, and I'm happy to see that you're open to constructive feedback about the second game. You'll likely get a plethora of responses and questions over the next few days!!!

Great to see you here representing your product, Blue!!! I plan on picking up KoTC 1 via steam just for the convenience, and I'm happy to see that you're open to constructive feedback about the second game. You'll likely get a plethora of responses and questions over the next few days!!!
Thank you very much for your great support, Carnifex!

I'm happy to answer any questions about KotC 1 and KotC 2.

Please, I have a question about the RPG Watch forum, do you know why my avatar picture is not showing up?

Cheers! :)

I sent an update about KotC 1 and KotC 2 to RPG Watch and the other news outlets yesterday, so hopefully RPG Watch will post something about the games soon. :)
I don't see it, so perhaps you sent it via PM to the news editors?

No, I went to 'Edit Profile Picture', then I uploaded the image. When I go into my profile, it does display the avatar to me, but I don't see it near my forum posts, for some reason.

I have finished KotC three times. A fantastic game. The only way I would have enjoyed it more is if the low lvl area would have been Keep on the Borderlands. Since we got the Slaver modules and Against the Giants, it would have been fun to play The Keep also. Will pick it up on Steam to support such a great game.

Thank you for the outstanding praise and support, Hastar! I really appreciate it!

Ooh, instabuy as soon as I get home. I own the game already, but love having everything on Steam.

Cheers, crpgnut! Thank you for your great support!

Now I just have to click the launch button on Steam in about half an hour! :biggrin:

I confess I never played Knights of the Chalice before, but I've only read good things about it here on RPGWatch. I promise I will check it out :)

That's it, I've pushed all the required buttons! I guess this gives me a little taste of launching a Kickstarter!

Thanks henriquejr, be sure to try the free demo / tutorial, I hope you will like it. :cool:

Just bought it - looking forward to my replay! :)
Also looking forward to hearing more about the KotC2 Kickstarter.

I just picked it up also. For anyone that's about to play the game for the first time here's a little hint, be prepared when you are about to leave the starting fort. ;)

That's it, I've pushed all the required buttons! I guess this gives me a little taste of launching a Kickstarter!

Thanks henriquejr, be sure to try the free demo / tutorial, I hope you will like it. :cool:

Two quick questions, BlueSalamander:

1) Can we export the party we make in the demo to the final game?

2) Will Knights of the Chalice 2 still use D&D 3.5 rules?

Thanks in advance!

No, I went to 'Edit Profile Picture', then I uploaded the image. When I go into my profile, it does display the avatar to me, but I don't see it near my forum posts, for some reason.
I was referring to this:
I am not seeing it.

As to your image not showing, you should upload the avatar image as that is what is shown next to your posts.

Just bought it - looking forward to my replay
Thank you very much for your great support Pongo, forgottenlor, Hastar and Carnifex!

1) Can we export the party we make in the demo to the final game?
Actually, in the demo / tutorial, you are given a pre-created party. Also, you might finish the demo at a rather high level, so it's not intended to be used in the full game.

2) Will Knights of the Chalice 2 still use D&D 3.5 rules?
Here's a reply I wrote earlier to a similar question: a lot of the 3.5 rule system is used by the game. Many of the feats, like Rapid Shot, Cleave and Whirlwind Attack, and creature abilities like Barbarian Rage, Sneak Attack, Smite Evil, Death Throes and Swallow Whole are true to the rule system.

You also have the standard combat rules like Attacks of Opportunity, Five-Foot Step, Bull Rush, Trip, Disarm, Sunder, Grapple, fighting with two or more weapons, Cover and Concealment, Saving Throws, Entangled, Blinded, Flaming weapons, and standard spells like Mirror Image, Grease, Web, Solid Fog, etc.

In many ways KotC 2 is closer to the rule set than KotC 1. For example, KotC 2 has the Dying condition applying to characters with Hit Points between -1 and -9.

I am not seeing it.
Ah, my apologies, then. I guess I don't have the right email address in my mailing list? Could you please message me the correct email address where I can send updates to? Thank you!

Concerning the avatar image, I did upload it, and when I go to my profile page, it does show the image.

Ahhh, I understand now. Didn't realise the profile pic was different from the avatar image. Thank you Myrthos! PS. I'll send you a private message now, as I would like to update my RPG Watch contact email, if possible. Cheers! :)

Back
Top Bottom