Unreal Retrospective at GamingWithChildren

txa1265

SasqWatch
Continuing the 'Retrospective' articles this year, looking at non-RPG stuff at GamingWithChildren and RPG stuff here. The most recent addition is at 10th Anniversary look at Unreal, check it out here:

Given that my first love of gaming is first-person shooters (FPS) based on my love of the original Castle Wolfenstein back on my Apple ][+, it is somewhat surprising that I was ‘late to the party’ on Unreal by nearly a year. But hey, gimme a break - I had a three-month old colicky baby when it was released in late May of 1998. Yes, that is right: Unreal just celebrated its’ tenth birthday! You know what that means? Retrospective time! I am going to take a look at the original game and also touch on the other entries in the series as it has moved to being one of the premier online shooters.

Nice retrospective Mike. I noticed you touched on Unreal Tournament a bit, but didn't mention Unreal 2 at all, not that there's much to talk about anyways. Did you ever get a chance to play Unreal 2?

Very, very nice, Mike :). Your article actully mafd me want to replay it (again), and since it seems to work under Linux...
Just one thing: the first thing I really noticed when playing Unreal for the first time was that the default character was *female* (Gina). And some of the levels may just have been Tech demos- you couldn't do much but stand and stare - , but they managed to set the eerie, creepy yet beautiful atmosphere I still remember... while I really loved Quake II (best part in the series for me), there was a difference in quality between going outside for the first time in Q2 and Unreal.

And Unreal 2? Sigh. Chances missed. Might have been good. It just wasn't.

Last edited:
Nice retrospective Mike. I noticed you touched on Unreal Tournament a bit, but didn't mention Unreal 2 at all, not that there's much to talk about anyways. Did you ever get a chance to play Unreal 2?

Of course I did ... I just decided not to bog things down with the mediocrity that was Unreal 2 ... what Jaz said, basically ;)

Of course I did ... I just decided not to bog things down with the mediocrity that was Unreal 2 ... what Jaz said, basically

Can't disagree with that. I'll never understand what they were thinking when they decided to set the movement speed to that of a wounded snail.

Back
Top Bottom