Dragon Age 2 - Project $10, Better DLC

Horse Armor

You may not of felt ripped off by that, but I thought it was a rip off.
Possibly (I only ever got it via the Knights of the Nine collection), but it was still a choice the consumer could make. Anyway, BioWare topped it with Appearance Pack #1 for ME2, and it makes a great example when using Bethesda as a company who've experimented with DLC. They created some crap (Horse Armour) and some at the other end of the scale (KotN, FO3's DLC).

SC2 doesn't have any upcoming expansions that I'm aware of. I'm guessing you're referring to the 2nd and 3rd campaigns, which are going to be full priced standalone games, not expansions.
I've heard them referred to as expansions, but that could be wrong. A lot of expansions do get turned into stand-alone games, though, and are (aptly) called stand-alone expansions.
DoW2: Chaos Rising
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
GTA IV: Episodes from Liberty City
Civ IV: Colonization
C&C Red Alert 3: Uprising
That's just a few I can think of, 'cos I've not woken up yet.

I've heard them referred to as expansions, but that could be wrong. A lot of expansions do get turned into stand-alone games, though, and are (aptly) called stand-alone expansions.

"Expansions" as far as the story is concerned perhaps, but Blizzard has stated that all the campaigns were going to be "equal" in terms of length and content. Besides, anything that cost $59.99 is not an expansion afaic.

OT : Has the horse armor been included in any release of the full game ?

The horse armor thing is completely silly to keep bringing up. There are people who really dig that kind of thing (they also probably like Sims type games). No one was fooled into buying it expecting something it wasn't which, incidentally, is true of most DLC.

Horse armor is silly to bring up when talking about DLC? Lol, funny stuff, Bill. Thanks for the laugh.

Top controversial Gaming moments:

Oblivion - Horse Armor sealed the fate of DLC

The now infamous horse armour pack which released on April 3rd 2006 for a price of 200 points was met with lots of criticism. It was one of the first games this generation to offer downloadable extras, and the price simply did not resonate well with gamers. It pretty much sealed the fate for this generation as far as DLC was concerned as it set a precedent that gamers were willing to pay for extras no matter how ridiculous the pricing. What's perhaps more of an issue is how Microsoft priced these digital products, as there was no real guideline to suggest the worth of digital items. Microsoft effectively tested the waters and stuck with it. Rubbing salt in the wound, as part of an April fools joke the DLC rose in price to 400 points whereas all of the game's other content was slashed to half price. The fact that Bethesda joked about this, is a testament to the fact that the original pricing (which still remains) is a total joke. Since the horse armor pack paved the way, we now have a whole generation of gamers who will buy virtual items at prices comparable to their real life counterparts.

There are more links like this if you would care for a few more on just how Horse Armor is directly related to the DLC of today.

Last edited:
*sigh* people forget so quickly.

Horse Armor
Sorry to insist but that's all the point. This is a DLC? Or a mod you download and install? If digital expansion are DLC…. Well no they aren't.

So my Oblivion version never had any DLC system or at least I don't remember it at all and won't bother check. Is an update changed this?

EDIT: Ha ok reading further posts, so a mod with a small contents and not free. Well I never heard of this crap. I'm not surprised this team has been the grand father of DLC, but it's not really DLC. Well ok can be argue, it is missing an in game shop system.

You mean something like The Sims Store? If I start talking about that I'll never stop. I like The Sims (so sue me I do ;)), but I do not like that store. For The Sims 2 they offered content on their homepage for free, but now they have to nickel and dime you to death. It's not even that good.

My whole point with bringing up Horse Armor is that I would like something more than a silly 30 minute adventure. At least throw in a companion. Like I said before, Shale was awesome. You got a short quest and a new buddy. Plus, Shale lasted longer than 30 minutes.

I really hope this $10 Better DLC will offer more in content than what was released with Dragon Age. If so I'll buy it. If not then you can bet that I'll bitch about it :p

Sorry to insist but that's all the point. This is a DLC? Or a mod you download and install? If digital expansion are DLC…. Well no they aren't.

So my Oblivion version never had any DLC system or at least I don't remember it at all and won't bother check. Is an update changed this?

EDIT: Ha ok reading further posts, so a mod with a small contents and not free. Well I never heard of this crap. I'm not surprised this team has been the grand father of DLC, but it's not really DLC. Well ok can be argue, it is missing an in game shop system.
Oblivion's DLC was available via the relevant Marketplaces on consoles, and via Bethesda's online store, until it came out in physical form via Knights of the Nine, which was a precursor to the physical packs of DLC.

Oblivion's launcher never sported any news feature, and if you stayed out of the loop in terms of releases and news, there's every chance you didn't know about it.

Dude, stop cherry picking and read the whole thing if you care.

I did and that one phrase summarized the whole thing.

Obviously this really bugs some people for some reason but I (and others) just don't get it. If you don't like it vote with your money and don't buy it. If others like it and are willing to pay for it, well, fine for them. If there are more of them than you (and me) then tough luck for us!

Yea, I guess you're right. I would of summarized it by saying, "Idiots will buy anything and the rest of us are boned", but your way is nicer ;)

Did you read my other post? You do know I explained why I brought up Horse Armor? Here let me quote myself:

My whole point with bringing up Horse Armor is that I would like something more than a silly 30 minute adventure. At least throw in a companion. Like I said before, Shale was awesome. You got a short quest and a new buddy. Plus, Shale lasted longer than 30 minutes.

I really hope this $10 Better DLC will offer more in content than what was released with Dragon Age. If so I'll buy it. If not then you can bet that I'll bitch about it

That is why I brought it up horse armor and why I took offense to you saying that it was silly that I did so.

I don't really have a problem with DLC at all. I just would like more content and not these fast food type of throw away packages.

Oblivion?

GotY Deluxe (Download) and KotN retail. I don't think it comes as part of the retail GotY release, but I could be wrong.

Really ?

And : There was a deluxe version of GOTY ? Interesting. Because I thought that GOTYs had primarily one purpose : put everything into ONE bundle ...

Really ?

And : There was a deluxe version of GOTY ? Interesting. Because I thought that GOTYs had primarily one purpose : put everything into ONE bundle …
Oblivion releases are as thus (Assuming my memory is correct):
Oblivion
Shivering Isles (Retail & Download)
Knights of the Nine (Download)
DLC (Download)
Knights of the Nine + DLC (Retail)
Oblivion GotY (SI + KotN; Retail & Download)
Oblivion GotY DX (SI + KotN; Download)

Your definition of GotY is half-wrong, Alrik. Most games do use GotY as a way to sell a complete bundle, but it's not uncommon for it to be an incomplete package. Dawn of War 2 GotY, for example, doesn't have Chaos Rising.

What a mess ! So many different versions ! O_O

Back
Top Bottom