Fallout: New Vegas - Version Face-Off

There's no excuse to be wearing the jumpsuit at level 9. I found a couple of leather armors well before that, there is stuff like the merc troublemaker armor, and 3.5k caps is quite attainable at level 9.

I'm not playing on hard, so I can't speak to the issue of difficulty, but it seems to me that if you choose hard, it's a bit... well I don't want to be offensive, but if you don't want it to be hard, then don't play on hard.

I'd actually forgotten I started it on 'hard' and wondered why I was having some trouble ;-) But no - I'm not complaining because its 'hard', I'm complaining because it's 'stupid-hard'.

@ Maylander: the common armor people drop seem pretty crap - faction armour is the way to go! But as you said, when you put it on there are consequences - I found some brotherhood of steel armour, but I just know donning it would be a *bad* idea when walking around the NCR. Maybe I'm not noticing the good stats on random armour drops, but as yet to nothing I've seen has looked very good.

EDIT: in case people are wondering, I *am* enjoying this game - a lot - there are just a few niggles that irk me, but that's to be expected.

I played the first part of the game on hard and found it difficult, but not nearly as difficult as you describe. I came across leather armor almost at level 1. It's cheap to buy from the store or you can get it through one of the first quests you are given in the game.

I had to bump up the difficulty to very hard around level 10 or so because it was becoming too easy although against certain creatures I was still weak. Even Giant Radscorpions proved to be a challenge so I just avoided them.

If you want a word of advice then concentrate your fire on specific body parts. Use the plethora of drugs you will find in the wilderness. Don't just collect them. Buffout, rebound, psycho, jet, med-x etc. will help improve the odds. Make as many slashers as you can (provided you have the skills to do so). It's a lot easier to hotkey in one slasher than it is to use two hotkeys for psycho and med-x.

Most importantly though get their limb health down to 0 on a certain part of their body and go to town on it. Not just head shots either, leg or arm shots work just as well depending on the situation. Got a nasty ghoul giving you problems then shoot out his leg, got a raider who is annoyingly killing you all the time then use some psycho and take out his arm or even go for his gun. It helps a ton if they lose their gun and have to switch to their backup weapon or take time to go retrieve it.

I've played the majority of this game with only leather armor. I prefer light armor than heavy. If I need more protection I'll take some med-x, but other than that some basic protection is all you need. I just recently switched to some better armor. Now my DP is around 10 and I'm still rolling over mostly anything I come across with a few exceptions like deathclaws and one Vault that proved to be too much of a challenge right now (I refuse to go down to hard. I'll pass that vault on very hard or die trying:))

Last edited:
I really should have bumped up difficulty to very hard as well but didn't . Definately for the next playthrough.

I played through 95% of the game with the light leather armor that came with the Caravan preorder items. Mostly because you run fastest in light armor. I had some heavier mark 2 combat armor stored on Rex for when I was doing major combat.

Not sure which vault you have trouble with but one you can reposition yourself before the doors open to give yourself a chance and then anti-materiel rifle baby. The other Veronica was a godsend though took a lot of effort to keep her alive with all of those security guards.

There's no excuse to be wearing the jumpsuit at level 9. I found a couple of leather armors well before that, there is stuff like the merc troublemaker armor, and 3.5k caps is quite attainable at level 9.

I'm not playing on hard, so I can't speak to the issue of difficulty, but it seems to me that if you choose hard, it's a bit… well I don't want to be offensive, but if you don't want it to be hard, then don't play on hard.

Yeah, I picked up this stuff and sold it - It didn't look like much of an improvement (I had the armoured jumpsuit) , but maybe I didn't study it well enough. Sadly I go through a lot of ammo, and for some reason I have not found tons of the ammo I need/want, so I end up buying it - as well as stimpacks and other bits and bobs. I've certainly had more than 3500 bootlecaps at this point - but I don't have that as a current amount… I'm surviving quite well, though, without the armour. I just seem to take damage way too easily (from everything on the planet). Which requires more stimpacks, which reqires more caps etc etc

As for the difficulty, I was really trying to say that while challenge is a good thing, it should show some verisimilitude…the example I gave (uber-woman in a leather bikini) simply didn't do that for me. I'm doing quite well however, and have only struggled when I took on some nightkin (before learning the relevant 'tricks' to deal with them). I wish ED-E was more useful though - can she/it be upgraded?

@skavenhorder: yeah, radscorpions seem higly reistant to everything but fire, I do a lot of backpeddling with the incinerator, but works well on them. Not really worth the effort though. I also find the levelling up to be rather quick…and I have not scoured the landscape like many. Still, as Is aid, I'm enjoying the game in general.

Have you tried AP rounds? Those should help punch through radscropion armor. Also sneak + sniper rifle is great, I've wiped out entire legion bases with that. :p

I am using Boone and considering upping from hard/hardcore to very hard now, at about lvl 11 just hit the strip.

I didn't find AP rounds to make much difference at all. I'm guessing because I'm not using a powerful enough weapon. I use a cowboy repeater for most of my combat or the unique varmint rifle, Ratkiller. They're useless against radscorpions, no matter which bullets I use. I generally go for explosives and Incinerator combos for rads and I'll probably try the same for Deathclaws. This game is very awesome and there are so many character builds that are viable. I can see New Vegas basically killing the mod scene for Fallout 3, unless Bethesda mods Fallout 3 with the New Vegas tweaks. Since there's no money in that it will probably still happen, but with modders instead of Bethesda doing the work.

I seem to recall AP ammo being pretty much useless in FO 1&2. Iirc it wasn't properly implemented, so there was no difference between normal and AP rounds.

Back
Top Bottom