Urtuk: The Desolation - Released

Early Day Purchase this absolute GEM was for me as I love the brutal grittiness and bloody style of this game! Suggested various ideas to the developer. I discovered the fastest Java version, which runs the game like a dream, compared to (then) newer and way SHTtier Java versions which were a Lag Hell.
I helped the developer to come up with the new tile-height indication system, because the original tiles only had a number on them and often were hard to see / obscured. Hopefully it turned out nice.
Waiting for the final super-patched, DLC-ed modded version to update my Steam game files and begin The URTUK MASSACRE!!!! :D

Played the "almost 1.0 version" last november, will start a fresh run soon. Great game! Worth the full price.

I can't get into the art style, and the maps are quite dull, as well as the units you can get pretty uninspiring in general, as for example, there are no female heroes/units. The UI is also clunky and "amateur". The whole style looks like a copy/paste from the Darkest Dungeon, only a several years too late, hence not original, and not even as good. Personal preference of course, and it's otherwise a good turn-based game, if you can get past the aesthetics, or unlike me, you just like them as they are.

What mercy said. 237 hours in so far. I rewrote all the written content.

I like the aesthetics, a lot. Never get tired of those goofy bastards. Also, every monster you fight you can eventually recruit, except for Beasts.

The complaints about the map and the available genders I don't get. The first are nicely varied. The second is just down to it being a one-man indie team. He probably didn't want to have to deal with a He/She variable everywhere. Anyway, the Scavenger Warlord looks like a woman and you can name your units whatever you want. I call her Sally. There you go.

I am a huge fan of Battle Brothers and I just hated this game. I subscribe to everything Nereida said, I would not be able to express it in a better way. Everything this game does, Battle Brothers does it much, much better.

The gameplay is terrible. Sound is ridiculous. One of the worst offenders is the UI. When this game was in Early Access, it was said the UI was just a placeholder, but come 1.0 and they just kept it the way it was. Extremely amateurish all around.

I don't recommend wasting time with this one.

I have played it for 10 h now and I love it! Combat is more dynamic than Battle Brothers, skills of chars complement each other nicely, huge variety of chars you can recruit, great art-style and nice variety of missions.

Cons are no real story, bland but serviceable UI and a kind of timer (Urtuk's mutation is told to kill him at some point).

I have played it for 10 h now and I love it! Combat is more dynamic than Battle Brothers, skills of chars complement each other nicely, huge variety of chars you can recruit, great art-style and nice variety of missions.

Cons are no real story, bland but serviceable UI and a kind of timer (Urtuk's mutation is told to kill him at some point).

Urtuk's mutation won't kill him. It's just a soft (not real) pressure for player to progress. The real threat are the Bounty Hunters who will chase you down periodically.

David

Urtuk's mutation won't kill him. It's just a soft (not real) pressure for player to progress. The real threat are the Bounty Hunters who will chase you down periodically.

David

Good to know! I am not a big fan of time-limits.
Will the bounty hunters become too strong to handle at some point?
Because I like to explore everything.

Love the game so far! Great job!

Yeah, it's not Battle Brothers. Battle Brothers also came out 4 years ago, I played it for ~300 hours and now I'm done with it. Lots of other strategy games that have come out lately have also not been Battle Brothers. Go figure.

What I like best comparing the two games is that in Urtuk, your units always start their turn with Stamina. BB was really really strict with Stamina, and you can very easily get "fatigue-locked" after the first 5 turns and not really have any option to recover. Urtuk is a lot more lightweight, but still has interesting tactics.

RE: the UI, again, I don't really get it. If you like the gameplay, you're not going to give a flying %^& about the UI. It's ugly but it works, it's not buggy or confusing.

I picked up the game. When I heard only one person developed it, I wanted to throw in my support. I usually enjoy these types of games. I will try to not compare it to Battle Brothers since that is one of my all-time favorites.

I picked up the game. When I heard only one person developed it, I wanted to throw in my support. I usually enjoy these types of games. I will try to not compare it to Battle Brothers since that is one of my all-time favorites.

Hope you will enjoy it!

David - that solo dev :)

Back
Top Bottom