What games are you playing now?

I'm a fan of some of the older role playing games for those systems, so I enjoy having games like Phantasy Star and Shining Force available. You'd have to be ok with older graphics to enjoy those nowadays. The update I spoke on earlier seemed to be focused on their mega drive and Genesis games.

ELEX, 9-10h in.
I find it exceptionally dull and slow. Switched to easy some hours ago and it does make me advance faster, but no, i don't like the setting or the story. The difficulty would be absolutely acceptable if the game drew me in, if i felt that it's time well spent and that im enjoying myself and i can't wait to see what's up next.. But there's nothing of that.

The world building has taken a huge step back in comparison to the older titles, and especially so in comparison to G2 and G3 (i really liked Risen 1 too, haven't played the other two long enough). It's quite empty and lacks the little details which makes exploring rewarding in these games. The first city you get to know is decent, but unfortunately its a game which often looks like random 3D assets were thrown around to fill up the world, it does not look organic or natural.

The graphics are quite terrible too, their worst looking game imo. The main character must be one of the ugliest models in the game btw, very odd choice to use it for the main character which you will see a lot. The tree flora basically has 1 shade of green color which makes it look dull as hell. the leaves has an almost neon like green color which is completely wrong even if you're going for a slightly cartoonish look. There are so many flavors of green and other natural colors you can play around with to make nature look impressive.. i did a quick mod for myself with more shades of green, some red, yellow, and the game world directly felt more alive.

The exploring is fun at first with the jetpack, and especially so in the starting area where they seem to have put most of their effort. I doubt i'll continue with this, got way too many other games to play.

Last edited:
ELEX, 9-10h in.
I find it exceptionally dull and slow.

I recently bought it and felt the same way :p I know I should stick with it… but, really, it's quite difficult to do plod along for a dozen or more hours for the promise of something at the end of the tunnel - I'd rather enjoy myself for 100% of the time with something else entirely.

vurt said:
I doubt i'll continue with this, got way too many other games to play.
My sentiment precisely.

It's quite empty and lacks the little details which makes exploring rewarding in these games.

That couldn't be further from the truth. You've barely scratched the surface though, so you really should wait before you've actually played a good portion before judging it. I disagree on a few other things you said as well, but I guess it's all subjective in the end.

There's an immense difference in quality of the world building and exploring in the first area in comparison to all the other areas and towns (i've been to two other big towns) that i've explored so far. It's of course good if they have stepped it up again in other areas where i haven't been yet. How many big cities does the game have btw? When i got to the Clerics town i just sighed and had enough, that is one bored designer...

Vurt, I had the same thoughts. I liked the Beserker town well enough, but my interest just died once I left that beginning area. The whole rest of the game felt tacked on to me. Dunno why. I really enjoyed the game in that first area. Risen 3 is still my only complete PB game.

Hum. I was going to play fallout: nv (see above); but then i decided to play last renemant but i died in the first cave of something (i have no clue how this combat is suppose to work and why arrow keys pop up during combat); so now I'm playing dks. I played it once before a long time ago (20012? 2013?); so i don't remember much of it 'cept it was fun - so lets see if it is as good as i remember. Wish I could understand this combat in last renemant (which seems to also have no quest/log book nor cursor for mouse).

Was going to start Fallout: nv for the first time after all these years but now it sounds like an update any day so i should probably wait.

wow.. you're right, both FO3 and NV.. how odd.

I'm enjoying Elex somewhat more. I tried playing some PS4 games but damnit i want that Piranha Bytes feel, it partially delivers. I got really bored with the Clerics town and domed city, they both suck imo.. The outlaws camp on the other hand is excellent.

I do wish they would have closed off the world a little bit more to get a feeling of advancement more. You shouldnt get everything for free, it's not fun, it's not rewarding.

When playing G2 there was no better feeling than "unlocking" a new portion of the map. Maybe there's something which is closed off here, but haven't stumbled into it yet.. rather the opposite it seems, "here's a free teleportation to a place which you haven't even discovered!", uh.. wow thanks..

Finding the teleportation stations is something that potentially could have been very rewarding since they are very convenient to have, but they're all super easy to find, never hidden (so far), and doesn't need any kind of unlocking, you get them for free - very, very boring design choice. In fact i would have preferred the map to be greyed out too, that data is only uploaded to your "GPS" once you have discovered a new teleportation station, that will make you more curious of discovering, its more rewarding, overall way more fun and leaving a little bit of mystery which is important..

Last edited:
There's an immense difference in quality of the world building and exploring in the first area in comparison to all the other areas and towns (i've been to two other big towns) that i've explored so far. It's of course good if they have stepped it up again in other areas where i haven't been yet. How many big cities does the game have btw? When i got to the Clerics town i just sighed and had enough, that is one bored designer…

Yeah, whole thing felt kind of cartoonish and badly put together. Numenera did a much better job at creating world with different societies from different stages of "progress", blending into one another.

Yeah, whole thing felt kind of cartoonish and badly put together. Numenera did a much better job at creating world with different societies from different stages of "progress", blending into one another.

They're a small team in comparison to Bethesda etc.. i am so clueless as to why they take on these absolutely gigantic worlds. The size here works so much against them, and on so many levels. Gothic 2 feels big, not because the areas are huge, but because there's interesting content, there's love and effort put into it and there's a wide variety of environments (swamp, rocky area, deep forest, sand/tropical, ice).. It's not like this game does the transition to ice/snow any better than the old game really, so its not like it has become more realistic or more organic because of the size, its just overall more but with less effort into the overall because it occupies so much space.

Didn't play Tides of Numenera yet, have it in my library.. it seems to have rather mixed reviews, it seems like i will do better playing Tyranny, no?

They're a small team in comparison to Bethesda etc.. i am so clueless as to why they take on these absolutely gigantic worlds. The size here works so much against them, and on so many levels. Gothic 2 feels big, not because the areas are huge, but because there's interesting content, there's love and effort put into it and there's a wide variety of environments (swamp, rocky area, deep forest, sand/tropical, ice).. It's not like this game does the transition to ice/snow any better than the old game really, so its not like it has become more realistic or more organic because of the size, its just overall more but with less effort into the overall because it occupies so much space.

Didn't play Tides of Numenera yet, have it in my library.. it seems to have rather mixed reviews, it seems like i will do better playing Tyranny, no?

Tyranny is more it's own thing, heavily focused on c&c when it comes to factions. Imo it's less polished, but more interesting, focused than Pillars.

Tyranny is more it's own thing, heavily focused on c&c when it comes to factions. Imo it's less polished, but more interesting, focused than Pillars.

yeah, that's the idea i got too when reading about it.. i read some recent stuff about Pillars 2 and people said they liked it or preferred it when it resembled them of Tyranny haha

You really need to play the remake of PS1 one of these days. That was the best game in the series by far. :)

Phantasy Star 1 isn't on Steam, right? I couldn't find a link to it.

I'm pretty sure it isn't, probably because it wasn't part of the Genesis pact. If I remember right, it actually came out for the mega system back in the day. I keep hoping some version of Phantasy Star the first will make its way to the computers, but if it has, I've not yet found it.

Back
Top Bottom