Gaming BS of the week

I think such a study would be very difficult, if not impossible, to do. I doubt playing video games is linked in a very direct way to violent behaviour in general, but as part of our culture and its attitude to violence and the value of life, they probably play their part.

Trying to engineer the culture through censorship is certainly not a road I'd want to go down, though.

I think someone has a right to make a game like this, and distribute it on their own grotty website. But a platform like Steam has a right to have standards, too.

Another turd from Ubisoft's CEO, who else:
https://wccftech.com/ubisoft-microsoft-next-gen-consoles-last/
Ubisoft CEO Says Next-Gen Consoles to Be the Last
Wait what? Guillemot says consoles will soon die and instead of me going extatic dance I say it's bullshit? Small letters provide the important detail.
Some of the most powerful names in gaming certainly seem to think the console’s days are numbered – Variety recently asked Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot about the future of consoles, and his response was surprisingly blunt.
“I think we will see another [console] generation, but there is a good chance that step-by-step we will see less and less hardware. […] There will be one more console generation and then after that, we will be streaming, all of us.
People are already streaming phonegames and Zuckerberg/Zynga games and Runescapeoids and all the different garbage that belongs to stone age. Did that kill consoles? Did that kill PC?

The reason we're buying brand new hardware, consoles or PC, is because of modern *proper* videogames demanding core power only new hardware can provide and not because of outdated designs bundled with scams and milking in form of lootboxes gambling, cutout content sold as DLC or refilling capped energy/stamina/whatever.

There is absolutely no way to manufacture a machine or design a room with enough machines that'd stream a game like World of Warcraft to all it's existing consumers because of their number. Even if such monstruosity existed, it'd still be incapable of streaming The Witcher 3 to all it's consumers at the same time.
Even if somehow that dream comes true, it'd still be impossible to stream Ubisoft's existing unoptimized junk code that causes microstutters on the best hardware out there.

Thus it's either bullshit of this decade or Guillemot knows something we don't. I've already mentioned in tech forum section that existing technology came close to produce diamond based CPUs with projected clock of minimum 50Ghz. But so far I haven't seen any report that research in this area made massproduction of such CPUs possible. Maybe Ubisoft did?

btw IMO consoles will evetually die in their current form, of course. Not because of streaming rubbish but because of sticking to outdated protocols (SATA2) instead of pushing innovation.

I see this prediction quite similar to the dire future many believed would happen to computer gaming, and just look at how wrong those people were. These consoles sell and generate so much additional revenue via games that I don't seen them fading out anytime soon. Maybe the games will eventually go the route of good old games and steam, having no physical properties, but I don't see the consoles simply going away. In truth, they've been around even longer than the personal computers.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-china
Perfect World and Valve announce Steam China

Star Trek Online lootboxes scandal is a decade old. Or more.
I don't like Tencent's exponential expansion, but in this case, I hope that very same Tencent will destroy Steam's lootboxes partnership.

There is absolutely no way to manufacture a machine or design a room with enough machines that'd stream a game like World of Warcraft to all it's existing consumers because of their number. Even if such monstruosity existed, it'd still be incapable of streaming The Witcher 3 to all it's consumers at the same time.

This generation will last 2-3 years more, next generation, maybe 6 years or so, a little bit depending on if they're gonna do upgrades like with this gen.. So in ~9 years?

What makes you think it's a room? Not likely.. Facebook, as an example, has enormous server halls all over the globe, big as the largest football fields packed with computers.. I'm also skeptical though, even though we will have far better latency for internet by then and better graphics cards, CPU's, it's not exactly global.. There are so many parts in the world where tech is many years behind. My African friends are often in awe of the speeds i'm getting here in Sweden, for example. I don't think it will replace consoles in at least 20 years.

Facebook is not videogames. It's spyware. As every other spyware, it needs no hardware power, just a simple malicious code.

Yeah, I think he's a bit optimistic about how long it will take for the internet infrastructure to be good enough to support this.

I also don't see this as a desirable future. I can imagine AAAs going this direction one day (mainly to give them the advantage of total control), but I think there will always be a market for games that people can run on their own hardware, in the way they want. By the time they could achieve their streaming network, great computing power will also be cheaply available in our personal devices.

Not to mention surcharges on your ISP bill when bandwidth is used for gaming and other leisure media. Coming soon to a net neutrality - free country near you.

Not to mention surcharges on your ISP bill when bandwidth is used for gaming and other leisure media. Coming soon to a net neutrality - free country near you.

Yep. They would love to turn games into a service for which you pay handsomely through the cable monopolies. I bet people will go along with it, too.

Not one game at E3 promises relationships of different kinds and scale (New assassin creed, cp2077) and some console crap even inclused a wet smooch in a trailer.
Everyone seems to be into romances these days and of course, mature content if a game needs it, it's not there just because (yea, right).

But who was the one "sure bet" when it comes to these stuff in games? Bioware. The very same studio that's now developing a silly mmo.
And now, after everyone and their mother seems to be including romances in their game, everyone except Biowar… Casey Hudson appears. Some remember him, some never heard. Doesn't matter.

https://www.pcgamer.com/biowares-casey-hudson-says-relationships-are-in-the-cards-for-anthem/
Many BioWare fans were bummed when the studio confirmed there are no romance options in Anthem, its upcoming shared-world looter shooter. As lead producer Mike Gamble told Game Informer, "we're moving away from that for Anthem." However, BioWare general manager Casey Hudson told VentureBeat that romance isn't necessarily dead.

"The question is, are there going to be romances in Anthem?" Hudson said. "We’ve been saying no, but—the nuance is, of course we do want relationships. It’s just more in an action genre of storytelling."

Pathetic.

Does any action game have romance other than Last of US (which you think is garbage) ?

Not one game at E3 promises relationships of different kinds and scale (New assassin creed, cp2077) and some console crap even inclused a wet smooch in a trailer.
Everyone seems to be into romances these days and of course, mature content if a game needs it, it's not there just because (yea, right).

But who was the one "sure bet" when it comes to these stuff in games? Bioware. The very same studio that's now developing a silly mmo.
And now, after everyone and their mother seems to be including romances in their game, everyone except Biowar… Casey Hudson appears. Some remember him, some never heard. Doesn't matter.

https://www.pcgamer.com/biowares-casey-hudson-says-relationships-are-in-the-cards-for-anthem/

Pathetic.

Does any action game have romance other than Last of US (which you think is garbage) ?
Define action game. I never knew what does that "action" stand for if not for realtime combat - but IMO it's just combat style and can't be genre, videogames aren't movies.

An example of "action" games with romances: AC games which I call environment puzzlers, others call action, have variety of romances. Yes, those old nonRPG ones.
Then there is Wolfenstein: The New Order which I say is shooter, but others say it's action. In there a person called BJ falls in love with a nurse.

It would be a sad day if some consoley exclusive rubbish was the first game to integrate something before it existed somewhere on PC. Mushrooms excluded, of course.

That PCGamer interview and the answers are hilarious.

Mark Darrah has no clue what an RPG is anymore.

Some comments from the readers.
Doesn't even know the proper name of DOS:2 but proceeds to opine about how it is "really awkward" to play in co-op. Bioware, you aren't worthy to be a towel boy for Larian with respect to making seamless drop-in/drop-out co-op inside of a rich, story driven RPG.
"If you try to play a story, if you play BG multiplayer or you play… Divinity: Original Sin 3?"Oh honey, you don't have to pretend to be in the RPG business anymore. EA has had its way with you, it happens to the best of us.
I'll remember you for the studio you were, not the shell you've become.

Yea I'm not a fan of co-op but generally speaking folks who does it love D:OS implementation. Anyway the game parameters were probably dictated by corporate and they just went with the flow and had to fill in the bullshit after the fact.

Steam. Instead of banning anything that contains paid lootboxes from the platform, seems they're playing cat&mouse with countries only to avoid suits.

https://wccftech.com/dutch-gaming-authority-lootboxes-fines/
Dutch Gaming Authority is Now Checking Whether Games are Still in Lootbox Violation on Penalty of Huge Fines

That's okay, right? And then Valve's reaction:
https://wccftech.com/valve-disables-steam-trading-transfers/
Valve Disables Steam Trading and Marketplace Transfers for CS:GO and Dota 2 Items for Dutch Players
Only for dutch players. Really.
:rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EU Parliament Committee blesses some serious bullshit:
https://torrentfreak.com/eu-parliam...avor-of-piracy-upload-filter-proposal-180620/
No quotes as the document is a huge read.

This atrocious document contains suspicious sentences where it's unsure if quoting someone or something is illegal. Imagine news on rpgwatch if quoting an interview with a developer from another source is not allowed!
Also, some parts of it suggest that a possible filming of a playthrough on YouTube without written acceptance from a publisher will become illegal.
Doesn't stop there, fair use is mentioned absolutely nowhere which means gif memes could become penalized harsher than drugs distribution.

I won't go into details about other stuff in it because not everything is linked to gaming in this scandalous move from a comittee, but here's hope the next instance drops the whole thing.

Bethesda is suing Warner over a phonegame:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/22/bethesda-warner-westworld-fallout-shelter/
Bethesda is suing to have the new Westworld mobile title removed from the marketplace over claims it nicked coding from Fallout Shelter.

Now why is this here? If Warner stole the code I mean, of course it'll end up in court. Here's why:
Proof the games feature the same coding appears to come from a set of bugs: those in Westworld are the same as those in early versions of Fallout Shelter.
I'm eagerly waiting what will judge say about scamming people with broken products. From both sides.
Finally bugs are being submitted to a court case and here's hope the judge loves bugs just like I do.

Seems we now have a #DNDGate controversy.

Link - https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...are-trying-to-exclude-women-minorities/61976/
It’s finally happened… Dungeons & Dragons has become co-opted by identity politics, and now those of you who thought tabletop gaming and miniature collectibles were safe from the toxic AOE rhetoric of Social Justice Necromancers are now being poised to face off against the same kind of soy-powered sophism that gamers in the interactive entertainment realm have been battling against since 2014, when #GamerGate got underway.

DnD content creator Kasimir Urbanski – who runs a small YouTube channel RPGPundit – recently posted up a video detailing how he’s come under fire by Social Justice Warriors who claim that he’s trying to gatekeep the Dungeons and Dragons community by preventing minorities and women from joining. The 15 minute video below covers the basic gist of what Urbanski has been going through and some of the charges laid against him by the clerical clique of the Intersectional Inquisition.
Excuse me while I go laugh hilariously.:lol:

More BS this week as Warhorse Studios’ Daniel Vavra had to cancel his Spanish Gaming Con Panel, because of a Feminist Smear Campaign last month.

Link - https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/...con-panel-following-sjw-smear-campaign/59363/
The “serious insults” were spurred on by feminist activist and Spanish Buzzfeed journalist, who spread around the falsehoods that Daniel Vavra was a Nazi.

The tweets originally went out on May 16th, 2018, where it was stated that Daniel Vavra is “openly racist” and that he’s “macho” and a “GamerGate defender”. The second tweet chain states that feminists don’t want Nazis at the Gamelab event.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom