Unsung Story - June Update: Art

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In a new update for Unsung Story, some information is shared about the art direction for the game.

I have been pretty open about holding this area back, because I wasn't happy with the direction. Before locking in, I wanted the team to be able to explore a lot of different space. We're done exploring, and I'm very pleased to show off how that process is going.

Before I jump in, I want to acknowledge that this is the one place in the project where we have significantly deviated from the original direction set out by PlayDek. We couldn't get Yoshida back.

We tried a number of different styles that were reminiscent of FFT, but we just couldn't make them work. So what you're going to see today is different.

I own 100% of the responsibility for the look. I chose this style, and I'm a big fan of how it's coming out. For some, you may like what I'm about to show off. And I'm sure there will be others who will be massively disappointed. Trust me, there are plenty of great medieval settings and character styles in the game. It just happened to turn out I don't have a lot of that to show off today. So I'm going to ask for a little patience, while we dial this in and integrate everything together for the final look.

I do also need to take a moment and give massive thanks to my tireless Art Director, Tyler James, and the team of artists working under him.

Even though I get to have all the fun writing these updates and sharing everything, he really did all the heavy lifting on what you're going to see this month. We've spent plenty of late nights comparing notes throughout each stage, but he has spent many hours working with the artists, giving feedback, painting guides, and generally bringing this game to life.

The article continues with describing the direction that is planned for the art, for which readers gave feedback, which prompted Little Orbit to come with an additional update.

Kickstarter is sometimes an imperfect medium to have a two-way conversation, but in this case I feel the need to at least follow up to the many comments on yesterday's post.

I want to start with a little extra context for how we arrived where we are with the style.

1. We cannot copy Yoshida's style

PlayDek engaged Yoshida, he did work, he was never paid for it, and there was a dispute. I have already spent months going back and forth with Cygames about bringing him back or even paying for the work he did, but we couldn't make that happen. So it's important to bear in mind that legally we need to stay clear of his style and anything he did previously for the project. I don't want to step into dicey territory that will jeopardize the project.

For the record, I absolutely love Yoshida's work. I wish this situation were different. As you saw in early updates, we tried playing with some hybrid styles. At best they were passable. At worst they felt like cheap Western knockoffs of Japanese art. So we abandoned that approach.

2. We are limited by what the studio can do

It is possible that PlayDek would have been able to deliver on the thousands of art assets it takes to make this game - all within the style they showed. But it's important for me to acknowledge what my studio can and can't do well. We are not a 2D pixel art studio. We aren't a Japanese-based art studio with lots of that style of talent.

In fact I saw mention of Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment in the comments, and I think that's a very good example. My studio (Hijinx/Game Machine) worked on Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment. It was our first tactics game, and being forced to deliver on that art was awful. Konami had their hearts (pun intended) in the right place, but they also pushed us into a box where we weren't going to be successful. I don't want to repeat that situation.

Side note: I wont take the bullet for the VH:FoJ cutscenes. Those were completed by another team that we had no control over.

3. We are already significantly behind

Many backers have graciously told us to take all the time we need - despite having already waited more than 4 years for the game they paid for. And in a perfect world, we could iterate forever. Sadly that is not the case. We are a small studio, we took on a lot of extra cost for the eventual Kickstarter rewards, and eventually we need to ship this game.

So where do we go from here?

More information.

BIG FLASH OUTSIDE!! BIG FLASH OUTSIDE!!!
- Oh, I think a Nuke might have exploded. In other news the development of Unsung Story is going Spiffy Well!

Being transparent? Yes, so far.

Making a good effort? Not so much. The writing is already on the wall: change here, modify that, and voila, the game people supported is not there. I concede that the game was lost, but is having 'a game' better that not having that game you supported?

Unfortunately Kickstarter is full of charlatan / incompetent pseudo developers: Hero-U, After Reset, Graywalkers, Dungeons of Aledorn, Arakion, Double Fine Adventure, Shroud of the Avatar, Kitaru..... just to mention a few among dozens, maybe hundreds of projects that promised the world and under delivered, took ages to get anything done, or went totally silent. It was an exciting experiment - but the fact is most of these developers should not be supported.

Unsung Story is just another casualty, and Little Orbit is killing again a horse long dead.

Sounds like quite the hard patch for him, but being open and honest is a great start to finding your way out of the jungle. I'm pulling for him, and I shouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he takes this lemon and squeezes it into some absolutely delicious lemonade.

I still think you are being too harsh. They picked up the game because the original folks bailed; so yea the backers would otherwise get nothing - so they should be helpful and not bitter towards these new folks.

I already consider this project canceled as its nothing what I backed four years ago. It would of been better to just cancel it instead of shipping something completely different.
Unfortunately Kickstarter is full of charlatan / incompetent pseudo developers: Hero-U, After Reset, Graywalkers, Dungeons of Aledorn, Arakion, Double Fine Adventure, Shroud of the Avatar, Kitaru….. just to mention a few among dozens, maybe hundreds of projects that promised the world and under delivered, took ages to get anything done, or went totally silent. It was an exciting experiment - but the fact is most of these developers should not be supported.
Everyone of those games are a waste of money, and are basically stuck in development Limbo. It wouldn't surprise me if they released something completely different also.

Actually hero-u has a release date in july. Late but the few folks here who have played the beta say it is not a total disaster.

Everyone of those games are a waste of money, and are basically stuck in development Limbo. It wouldn't surprise me if they released something completely different also.

Actually hero-u has a release date in july. Late but the few folks here who have played the beta say it is not a total disaster.
Guess you can't see the three games I highlighted in Bold from his post.:p
After Reset, Graywalkers, Dungeons of Aledorn
Anyway Graywalkers finally got a new updated demo for backers at least.

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/project...purgatory-turn-based-post-apocalyptic/updates

After Reset is basically a tech Demo years after funding. Dungeons of Aledorn has not even entered Beta. The developer keeps promising a Beta release for a year already.

I could go on as many projects are years past the expected release date, and many have gone silent, closed down, and went bankrupt. The Age of Crowdfunding is fading.

Let me rephrase that "The Age of PC Game Crowdfunding is Fading". Resent articles show most PC games don't get funded. It's mostly board/card games.

Also the board games and card sets mostly deliver compared to the PC games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom