Kingdom Come - Reviews

4/10! That's ridiculous. I think this is probably my favorite open world game so far. It does have some bugs as these things always do, but I think they put together an incredible and unique game.

4/10! That's ridiculous. I think this is probably my favorite open world game so far. It does have some bugs as these things always do, but I think they put together an incredible and unique game.

Ouch, 4/10 does seem harsh, i've only played the beginning, but have enjoyed it so far. Just waiting a bit longer to iron out some of the bugs.

Well they don't frankly know jack shit about videogames. Their closing stament:

But even without the technical problems, the idea that Kingdom Come: Deliverance is new or refreshing seems, appropriately enough, old fashioned.

The opening paragraph doesn't offer much hope either:

Reader, I am bored. Because, despite the lead dev having more edge than U2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance isn't offensive or radical, it's just boring. This is partly because in Kingdom Come: Deliverance you are roleplaying living in a medieval setting, which was by all accounts a pretty terrible period to live in. We didn't even do wars in a civilised way with drones, or have nice things like air conditioning or Mr. Kipling cakes, and all the beds were made of straw. Other games with a similar setting introduce mages and dragons to inject some excitement, at least. Bohemia in 1403 is an unforgiving mistress: it rains a lot, your clothes get muddy, and you must eat and sleep regularly or suffer the consequences (being tired and hungry).

Im little suspicious if that score was somewhat put down because of that "controversy" regarding the game. Mainly because reviewer put there 2 links to article or discussion (with a lot of fools as it seems) about it.

EDIT: But some sentences suggests that he/she just doesnt like pure historical games without fantasy elements.

The saving "controversy" is really irritating to me. I think I have 15 "Saviour Schnapps" stored up at the moment in the game. It's pretty easy to find the stuff, and it's also easy to find a place to sleep and save, or just finish part of your current quest and autosave. I find that not quicksaving constantly makes the gameplay a different experience. You think more about consequences and situational risks because you can't rewind the world at your whim.

But, apparently, looking beyond the inconvenience and seeing the other perspective of it being more immersive in interesting ways is beyond the capabilities of many gamer dudes.

Or that in fact you actually can readily quicksave because that Saviour Schapps is all over the place if one has any patience to learn the game at all.

Last edited:
The saving "controversy" is really irritating to me. I think I have 15 "Saviour Schnapps" stored up at the moment in the game. It's pretty easy to find the stuff, and it's also easy to find a place to sleep and save, or just finish part of your current quest and autosave. I find that not quicksaving constantly makes the gameplay a different experience. You think more about consequences and situational risks because you can't instantly rewind the world at your whim. It's less convenient and less instant gratification, but I also think it's more immersive.

People just like to bitch and moan, and it's easy to be heard in today's social media world.

Many people - myself included - have an issue with any restrictions on saving (outside of combat). When I am done playing, I want to stop - not search for a bed or to find a save checkpoint etc. A limited save system is enough to make me reconsider buying a game, at least at full price. Since you yourself have just said saving is not really an issue, why not allow people to save when it suits them? The mere fact that they are considering changing things suggests that they did not really think it through.

Many people - myself included - have an issue with any restrictions on saving (outside of combat). When I am done playing, I want to stop - not search for a bed or to find a save checkpoint etc. A limited save system is enough to make me reconsider buying a game, at least at full price. Since you yourself have just said saving is not really an issue, why not allow people to save when it suits them? The mere fact that they are considering changing things suggests that they did not really think it through.

Actually, save and exit was intended to be in the game and had to be cut due to tech problems and deadline. They are working on adding it back.

But being able to freely quicksave before every obstacle basically renders every obstacle meaningless, so they wanted to avoid that.

As far as reviews go, IGN, Gamespot and PC Gamer posted good ones. Videogamer, Slant and Eurogamer are worthless.

The game allow you to save when it suit you. It even works like in every other games: go in menu and click "Save Game".

You just need to have Savior Schnapps on you which is not hard to get at all.

Actually, save and exit was intended to be in the game and had to be cut due to tech problems and deadline. They are working on adding it back.

But being able to freely quicksave before every obstacle basically renders every obstacle meaningless, so they wanted to avoid that.

As far as reviews go, IGN, Gamespot and PC Gamer posted good ones. Videogamer, Slant and Eurogamer are worthless.

Let's see: I know they're putting it back, but do you have a link that proves they cut it due to tech problems and deadline? Something that came out before release, naturally.

If a person wants to make every obstacle meaningless, that should be their decision. They payed a ton of money for the game.

The reviews that match your viewpoint are all great and any that don't, suck. How mature of you! This is a joke comment by me! :D I didn't read any of them!

I found myself very indifferent to KCD. I'd rate it a 5/10.

Buggy, protagonist is boring as drying paint, 5-6 hours till you get to meaningful content, animations that take forever to execute, quests that are extremely dull. How about walking around Rattay as a quest? Anything to do with the spoiled Hans, etc.
I'm not sure what you folks are falling in love with, honestly.

Glad I didn't live in Bohemia in 1403. This would be the perfect game for HHR. All the "praise Jesus" "Lord Bless you" and other religious stuff would be right up his alley. I think that's why Joxer loves it so much. It reminds him of HHR ;)

alice bell might want to go look for a job at media matters since it's painfully obvious she interprets things, even video games, through a left wing lens. But even when you remove the snarling partisan virtue signalling ("loaf of farmhouse white" - really? wow…), the review is just bad. You're bored alice? Well, you're review was boring, so stones and glass houses and all that.

A few tips though if you're gonna keep at it. First, don't bore your readers telling them you're bored. Next, curb your lefty partisan enthusiasm, let's keep it easy and realistic, and start with curbing it by 1% and go from there. Last but not least, you might want to include at least one objective observation in your ocean of subjective "reasoning." Such as "old fashion" doesn't necessarily mean something is good or bad or insert_setting_type_here too, isn't necessarily good or bad.

I don't like sci-fi cRPGs because I don't care for that setting. But if I had to review such a game because that was my job, I wouldn't bother mentioning that I don't like sci-fi cRPGs because that would be irrelevant. I know it's not just you, alice, who does that, but it's part of the reason why the online game review industry is a bit of an unprofessional joke. Man, I really should have had that 2nd cup of coffee this morning, I'm a real asshole right now... /rant off

Buggy, protagonist is boring as drying paint, 5-6 hours till you get to meaningful content, animations that take forever to execute, quests that are extremely dull. How about walking around Rattay as a quest? Anything to do with the spoiled Hans, etc.

LOL

My opinion so far and I'm not near the game end… But also not stuck in the prologue nor would judge a game based on it.

Pros:
- Superb quests and stories, crapload of 18+ content and humor
- Superb animations that aren't boring at all - except if one's grinding so don't grind
- One of the best written protagonists I've seen in RPG

Cons:
- Atrocious amount of bugs
- Not enough nudity
- No hairworks

btw… Did you hunt with Hans? Did you later visit the Bathouse with Hans? He plain rocks! Well except he's blind at 7AM and says it's still dark.

Score? Sorry, can't put it as I didn't finish.

Videogamer: 4/10
Isn't it consolecentric site? Oddly they didn't put even a lower score - I can't even imagine the frustration they get from picking locks in KCD.

Eurogamer:

we get what feels like a glossy pamphlet advertising an escape into an oddly romanticised past. And it's that, ultimately, which makes me too uneasy about Warhorse's work to be able to recommend it.
This reviewer didn't play the game.
Or war and executions are romantic to them.

Last edited:
Let's see: I know they're putting it back, but do you have a link that proves they cut it due to tech problems and deadline? Something that came out before release, naturally.

If a person wants to make every obstacle meaningless, that should be their decision. They payed a ton of money for the game.

The reviews that match your viewpoint are all great and any that don't, suck. How mature of you! This is a joke comment by me! :D I didn't read any of them!

Glad I didn't live in Bohemia in 1403. This would be the perfect game for HHR. All the "praise Jesus" "Lord Bless you" and other religious stuff would be right up his alley. I think that's why Joxer loves it so much. It reminds him of HHR ;)

Martin Klíma said it on czech podcast. I don't care if you believe me but it is a fact.

As for those reviews, I judge them according to their content and factuality. Those that are about stupid politics are stupid. News at eleven.

Feel free to have whatever opinion about the game you want, it's no skin off my nose.

Its been a long time I have sat on the fence for a game. Even ELEX I went out and got after only a few days deliberation.

Twice now I have been at Steam to buy this and twice changed my mind. I was really excited at first but then read that you can't make your own character and its a pre-defined protagonist with a back story and history, parents, and girlfriend (even if they don't last) from the get go. Maybe get to change hair and beard later on. No companions that I have heard of and either your a virgin or womanizer. So stopped.

But read more and watched more and loved the attention to realistic details. Note not realism as in mirroring our world but realism in regards to food, sleep, water, getting dirty, etc. Love those things. But this was balanced by the lack of fantasy or science-fiction.

Yet the graphics and details pushed me again to the buy button. But then keep reading about bugs and the save issue. The save issue I dislike but can live with. I play in SM in FO4 which lets you save on beds or on game exit (and with a mod when I smoke a cigarette which is similar to schnapps and also has side effects like rad damage and chance of addiction).

So waiting for some patches I think … although then just read it is full of christian religious crap with "praise jesus" and "lord bless you" which is a major turn off. Have to deal with those nutjobs in real life so don't want them infesting my game time. Granted its the time period so its expected but wish I could play a pagan heathen at least.

Back on the fence for now but will keep reading reviews, watching for patch notes, and watching some review demos. Overall it sounds like a good solid game but not my cup of tea.

I must warn you about realism you expect. Sure, you have to eat and sleep.
But no peeing nor pooping. Thus forgeddit, that just ain't real. ;)

Praise Jesus and voiceovers are not the game. The game is the quest "Playing with the Devil" and a certain women who's name is "Priest's Concubine" and that priest and getting rid of archbishop's vicar and… Spoilers!
I have absolutely no idea why people think the game is some pusher of religion. It just isn't.

Since you didn't buy it yet, I have to suggest waiting for a huge patch.
When I say amount of bugs is atrocious and when I call it Skyrim 2 because of that, you know I'm not exaggerating.

with a mod when I smoke a cigarette
No smoking in this game. Okay no tobacco of course as they were going for historical accuracy, but no smoking weed is not realistic!
Next time remind me on such stuff please, I forgot to put it among cons in my previous post.

Last edited:
First you have to learn to read. :p

I must warn you about realism you expect. Sure, you have to eat and sleep.
But no peeing nor pooping. Thus forgeddit, that just ain't real. ;)

Praise Jesus and voiceovers are not the game. The game is the quest "Playing with the Devil" and a certain women who's name is "Priest's Concubine" and that priest and getting rid of archbishop's vicar and… Spoilers!
I have absolutely no idea why people think the game is some pusher of religion. It just isn't.

Since you didn't buy it yet, I have to suggest waiting for a huge patch.
When I say amount of bugs is atrocious and when I call it Skyrim 2 because of that, you know I'm not exaggerating.

Ah good to know. If it is mainly for a quest or two then that is fine. I was beginning to get the idea it was all through the game as in being very preachy and religious.

Well Skyrim is a bad comparison - I have over 5000 hours in Skyrim and played it the second it was downloadable from Steam ... and I have never encountered a single game breaking bug except once and I was able to work past it with some advice online. I have see many glitches and minor bugs but not big ones. But I know game experiences differ from user to user and how people play. You are a very thorough game player, based on all the comments you make on games, which means you would probably encounter more bugs then most folks.

If KCD was as stable as Skyrim I wouldn't worry but from the sounds of it there are a lot of game breaking bugs which is not something I experienced in Skyrim as I said.

Anyhow guess maybe I will give it a whirl after the next patch or two comes out. Unless I hear something else to put me back on the fence.

I don't own this nor am interested in getting it, so am an indifferent spectator…but yea, that 4/10 review was obviously very biased and strongly influenced by the reviewer's politics, as others already commented.

She was obviously butt-hurt about their not being any black people in the game, which is part of the social justice warrior commandments -- must have (one of their favorite buzzwords) "diversity" in all forms of entertainment -- and so of course she found playing a straight white male excruciating and oh so boring…if the main character had been black, perhaps fighting prejudice and oppression in this ancient time as part of the storyline, then you know her tune in the review would have been radically different, (she would have been gushing and glowing in her praises, in other words).

She was obviously butt-hurt about their not being any black people in the game, which is part of the social justice warrior commandments
The game is supposed to be actual medieval europe setting, not some fantasy of hers just because.

Whatever, that author is some ignorant and blind idiot. There are no asians in the game either and of course there aren't as there are not supposed to be any historically, but who cares about asians, she noticed there are no black people, OMG, burn the game on stake. Whatta joke.

Back
Top Bottom