Finally looking at a decent mouse

2Spooky4Me

Watcher
So I have finally decided to spend some money and get myself a decent gaming mouse instead of using the one that I got free with my laptop. I want to get something that is actually for gaming as well, with some macro buttons on it. I don't know too much about the technical aspects of mice, so here is a list of some of the games I play if anyone ca help point me towards the best mouse for these kinds of games that would be awesome!

Insurgency, CSGO, Fallout 4, Stardew Valley, and State of Decay are my most commonly played games. So mainly First person shooters with a sprinkle of RPG and third person adventure. I was thinking about getting a Razer Naga mainly because a friend has it and it looks/feels pretty great, but wanted to get some more opinions first.

I have had some trouble finding a nice Roccat mouse at the shops around me and before ordering it from them I thought that I should check online to see if I could find the Tyon as the responses here are overwhelming; plus the reviews online are pretty amazing. Luckily I actually did find someone who was selling a Tyon on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/gaming-mouse that I was able to meet with very quickly so no one else swooped it up(sorry if anyone else was watching it!). I got it home and am loving it, set up the only macro I need on it(reloading) and it works perfect. Thanks for all the great advice!

Last edited:
I have the Roccat Tyon, which is the best mouse I've ever had. Period, and honestly.

4250288174146_ROCCAt_Tyon_back-perspective-left.jpg

It's general mouse properties like sensitivity and precision are good. But there are three particular reasons for me liking it:

1. Position of mouse buttons. On most mice, I find especially the thumb buttons a bit cumbersome to reach. Maybe I'm just clumsy, but if so, this mouse is well adapted to my clumsiness.
  2. A shift button, enabling twice as many button mapped functions
  3. Surfaces. It works well on my Steelseries glass mouse pad.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the device is readily avaliable anymore, but that might just be in Norway.

pibbur who 20 years ago thought that a mouse was a stupid little thingy for a PC, never to become actually useful.

PS. Just found one site in Norway selling it, so maybe I should by one extra, for the inevitable day when the one I have breaks down. DS.

Last edited:
I've been using Razer gaming mouses myself. They seem really powerfull gaming tools to me. But I cannot say how they compare to Roccat Tyon Pibbur mentioned which looks darn good as well. I think in any case, allocating some money on a proper gaming mouse and mousepad is a good investment. You won't be coming back to normal office mouses after that. :)

Hmm, that Roccat looks rather good. I may have to see about one of those. There appears to be a supply on the island.

I have used Logitech equpiment before, but not anymore. I was quite happy with them, but some of those things don't work particularly well with a KVM switch, and officially Logitech doesn't support KVM switches. So despite some of the devices working well, it is a bit of a lottery. Better google or check with the watch, and have the option of return/refund when considering a Logitech (And using a KVM, of course).

pibbur who admits other brands may also have KVM problems, but not as often as the Logitechs.

I absolutely despite Razer. Back in the day I bought a Razer Headset which was horrible and required to buy a razer soundcard in order to do decent recordings as it came with a built in error which needed this card to be filtered out.
I also bought the Razer Orbweaver, which was also a horrible pice of hardware with a very bad and inaccurate pressure point. And while I never owned their mice, when I tested them they felt like overpriced plastic which you might expect coming from a kinder surprise egg.
That said; I also have a keyboard which I got as gift which is extremely well and use to this day. Anyways, personally I would not recommend to buy anything from razer.

On the other hand most of the time I had quite good experience with Logitech.
(though the overpriced Logitech MX Revolution and G700 also had extremely cheap build quality, e.g. with button presses which registered twice) and at this date I am still using two logitech mice.
They are both outdated though and not available anymore.

That said, if you used these mice for a while there is one featur in particular you do not want to miss anymore in the future:
A "free" scrolling mouse wheel. Most modern Logitech mice have a mechanical button which switches the mousewheel from the good old "rastered" mode into a free scrolling mode. And this makes browsing and working on the computer so much more enjoyable. For the junger generation: It's bit like a fidget spinner, which you can accelerate and which then spins on it's own for a while (if you don't stop it).
So for example you could go to rpgwatch.com and with just one flick the mouswheel is spinning, the page is scrolling down, down, down, either until you top it, or until the page hit the bottom. Of course you can still use the other method if you are playing shooters for example and want to use the mousewheel as weapon selector (a spinning wheel is a bad idea in that case).
Check out this video for a demonstation of what I mean (0:38):

I'll come back to this video for some other features.
This is actually the mouse I'd also recommend. Personally I am using the G500 on my main machine which has pretty much the same feature set as the G502 Proteus demonstrated in the video which is proabbly the follow up model, which also some of my friends have used with great experiences.

Now besides of this you might consider first, which other features you'd like to have.
For example whether or not you want to go wireless, which I personally never became a fan of (but haven't tested any more recent wireless mice.

The other question is how much buttons you want to have.
Personally I think "the more the better". With the requirement that all or most of them need to be easily and comfortably usable. Additional buttons above the mousewheel for example are completely wasted unless you have very long fingers or grab the mice in a very particular way.

You don't need to use the additional buttons for the things they are intended to. In fact I recommend to not use them like that and to remap them to some keys on your keyboard.

For ample you can have one key mapped to "m" and open the map. Or most recently I am playing divinity OS2, having one key mapped for "loot all". Also in the spiderweb games it was a huge benefit imho that I had one mousekey for the inventory and another one for ESC as that friggin game didn't allow you to close the inventory to be closed with the same button as you opened it.

For Civilization you can map one key for ending turn, and another one to go to the next unit if that annoying auto cycle is disabled. Very, very handy.

Of course the most profit you get out of it when playing MMOs or some action RPGs with tons of different abilities.

So my G500 or the demonstated G502 have a lot of buttons which are very well placed:
-2 Additional buttons right besides the left mouse button. Great! (0:10 in the video)
-the mousewheel can be tilted to either side. Giving you 2 additional buttons for "non-spammy" actions like opening the map or using an ability with a high cooldown. (used to have evasion and cloak of shadows on these options for my WoW Rogue). I don't understand how other manufacturers can even leave out these options with modern mice. It's just wasted potential. But it requires some minimum build quality to not be messy. You can see that at 0:55 in the video
-3 thumb buttons. They work good on my G500, but the placement on the G502 is actually even better. Easily reachable, distinguishable and not conflicting with the thumb-rest.

So yeah, if it wasn't clear already, I'd strongly recommend the G502.

I have had three different Razer mice. Never again. Looks great. Feels great. High price. Bad quality. Does not last long. Would not recommend it.
I have a Logitech mouse now (not wireless), for two/three years? Great performance. Feels great. Good quality.

Last edited:
The G502 is great… except for one big thing: the scroll wheel is a heavy, metal-like thing. It is heavy and slick to the touch. I hate it, but the rest of the mouse is one of the better ones I've tried if you can get acclimated to the wheel. I did not.

Hi, what I'm using now is the best gaming mouse that I've ever used - the Logitech G602. It's one of the cheaper options out there (surprisingly) and also is wireless, so no having to mess with a cord getting in your way or restricting your movement either.

It has plenty of buttons, with 6 buttons on the side, and 2 separate ones on the left main click (out of the way though, its well designed), and just feels really good in my hand (right-handed, medium to medium large hands) It has worked great with all the games I have tried with easy to use software for programming the buttons.

Obviously, if you don't need or want that many buttons, then there are other mouse to look at. I for one appreciate having a lot of buttons though.

https://www.amazon.com/G602-Lag-Fre...2?ie=UTF8&qid=1511117160&sr=8-2&keywords=g602

I'm very, very particular about mice and keyboards. I'm almost impossible to satisfy in that way - and I've yet to find a keyboard that I'm truly happy with - and I've tried dozens of them.

But I HAVE found a mouse that I'm quite pleased with. It's not perfect - but it's the best mouse I've owned since my beloved Logitech MX1000 - which isn't in production anymore.

It's the G900 Chaos Spectrum. Amazing mouse - but also very expensive.

I have had three different Razer mice. Never again. Looks great. Feels great. High price. Bad quality. Does not last long. Would not recommend it.
I have a Logitech mouse now (not wireless), for two/three years? Great performance. Feels great. Good quality.

Fingers crossed but I think I am the only person who never had Razer mouse fail on them!

I have two Razer Nagas and Razer Orbweaver for 5+ years and so far so good! Touch wood!

These days I can't imagine gaming, specially MMOs, without my Orbweaver! It has taken quite lot of abuse from me!

I don't know if it's that I've used them so long that I now prefer them, or if they're actually better, but throw me into the razer camp as well. Currently using a Deathadder Elite but I also had the one with all of the buttons on the side during my MMO days.

Having to buy a new one every couple years is just something I've come to accept. Except the MMO one, that was a tank and still works today.

The new Chroma stuff is surprisingly nice, if you have the money. Developers actually are utilizing it far more than I was expecting for "just another gimmick."

It's a shame gaming mice tend to be so ugly. I don't see why they have to resemble Optimus Prime's codpeice.

It's a shame gaming mice tend to be so ugly. I don't see why they have to resemble Optimus Prime's codpeice.

So instead of Megan Fox, you were watching Optimus Prime's codpeice? :lol:

So instead of Megan Fox, you were watching Optimus Prime's codpeice? :lol:

This is a valid poiint, and I shall have to reflect upon it.

Just be glad you're in the market for a mouse and not a trackball. At least you have more than one or two equally dissatisfying options.

So it seems that I was looking in the entirely wrong direction with Razer, thanks for making me see the light. Going to take a further look at Logitech and see if I can find myself one of those Roccat Tyons, that is definitely my favourite one so far.

So it seems that I was looking in the entirely wrong direction with Razer, thanks for making me see the light. Going to take a further look at Logitech and see if I can find myself one of those Roccat Tyons, that is definitely my favourite one so far.

If you are basing your decision based on reliability, then jury is out based on the posts here.

The most important thing for me about a mouse is that how it fit my hand. Some mouses are just too big for my palm and some are too small. When it comes to MMO mouse, I had choice between Razer Naga or Logitech G600. The naga fitted my palm perfectly. The first time I touched it, it felt right. The G600 was big and it was affecting my wrist's resting posture and causing pain. So even if the Naga breaks after 6 months, I will still buy it over the G600!

Some store in UK will all you to try out the mouse. Not sure where you are from but you should go to some PC stores and try these mouses out and pick one which you feel comfortable with.

Some store in UK will all you to try out the mouse. Not sure where you are from but you should go to some PC stores and try these mouses out and pick one which you feel comfortable with.

Yeah, that's a good advice regardless.
Luckily most of them will probably have the most prominent logitech and razer mice anyways. Not so sure abour roccat though.

Back
Top Bottom