Non-RPG General News - Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Default Non-RPG General News - Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

May 29th, 2022, 19:07
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
I still don't see the dichotomy, I don't think there can be one. For example if The Witcher is an RPG, what's missing in SW Jedi: FO?.
Those really aren't comparable imo. I think you'll understand better once you've played it.

Originally Posted by Moorkh View Post
Interesting. Story and characters are what are crucial to me for my enjoyment in an action-adventure, as well - and exactly the reason why I avoided Fallen Order, even though I have a weakness for all things Star Wars.
From what I've read and seen in a couple places, all of those seemed to be rather generic and flat in a Force Unleashed way. Especially the main character seemed bland, but not of an RPG-fill in with your own decisions sort but rather in a "universally relatable" regular guy category. And that's just not a viewpoint I find interesting enough to get into.

That was my impression - but I have not played the game. Now you're praising the game for the exact opposite. Have I gotten it wrong?
I wouldn't say the story and characters are anything special. They're not bad though.

What I liked about Fallen Order is the overall atmosphere and Star Wars feel that it captures so well. It has the best lightsaber combat of any game so far, and some really cool set pieces. I also liked the level design which has you returning to previous areas once you have the necessary power to get past an obstacle that blocked you before.
It's nothing like The Force Unleashed which was just a straight action game and much lower quality overall.

For me, the only negative was the loot system which is almost nonexistent. Hopefully they do a better job with that in Survivor.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
+1:

May 29th, 2022, 19:26
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Sigh if only some developer would actually make a new StarWars RPG. Not a remake or remaster either a new one. BioWare was the last with the MMO version of KOTOR.

It's been almost eighteen years since a new SP RPG for the IP was released.
Well, the debate on whether this or the last game qualifies as an 'RPG' aside, I agree with couch in that when we think about a really deep RPG experience, we've not seen that for a long time when it comes to Star Wars. I'll add the same frustration for an IP like LotR.

That all said, the previous game was a great game, so I'm looking forward to a sequel.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

May 29th, 2022, 19:39
It was decent aye but I couldn't get past the platform parts. To much frustration, but again that is a me problem. It was the same problem I had with the unleashed games.

I just wish a proper RPG like KotoR would get made. Wishful thinking I know as games like this sell five million copies. The LotR IP has the same problem as you said.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
+1:

May 29th, 2022, 19:47
You know Couchie, somebody will come and say that KotOR isn't even a proper RPG, only Goldbox games, BG and other pixel unplayable stuff were proper RPGs.

But I agree with you, I wish a more RPG-heavy Star Wars was made at some point with AAA production values.

I will probably still play this one. Fallen Order was pretty fun.
--
Who am I? I am the only way the Universe has to feel, to dream, and to be aware of itself.

Nereida

Fallen Aasimar

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

May 29th, 2022, 19:54
Originally Posted by Nereida View Post
You know Couchie, somebody will come and say that KotOR isn't even a proper RPG, only Goldbox games, BG and other pixel unplayable stuff were proper RPGs.

But I agree with you, I wish a more RPG-heavy Star Wars was made at some point with AAA production values.

I will probably still play this one. Fallen Order was pretty fun.
That actually happened before. Once on this site and a bunch on a few mainstream sites over the last ten years. The codex has it out for those games as well. It's hilarious.

Aspyr is doing the remake but it sounds like a full re-imaging of the old version.
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

May 29th, 2022, 19:58
On the Codex, if a game doesn't require the use of graph paper, it's not an RPG.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 29th, 2022, 20:07
I've been waiting 30 years now for a proper Star Wars Adventure Game. I doubt I'll ever see one, because the top people at both Lucasfilm & Disney ware into "Action".

Proper Adventure games are soooooooo boring …
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

May 29th, 2022, 21:06
I love the game, and this is more or less like Darksouls in a Star Wars setting.
Why darksouls is an RPG and Fallen Order isnt?
For me both are Action games with exploration, and leveling Stats. Fallen order is more fun to explore, dark Souls id more fun as a game. Both are excelent.

boobaloo

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 29th, 2022, 21:40
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I've been waiting 30 years now for a proper Star Wars Adventure Game. I doubt I'll ever see one, because the top people at both Lucasfilm & Disney ware into "Action".

Proper Adventure games are soooooooo boring …
Who boy your right that's when Lucas Arts was independent and not owned by the mouse overlord. They released and licensed the IP to many developers and it worked.

I would love to see more strategy or 4X Star Wars games as well.
--

Couchpotato

Half Rotten Potato

+1:

May 29th, 2022, 22:46
I have hopes now, though. They do a new Monkey Island games. But that has *never* been about "Action". Star Wars is too much granded with "Action". Even LucasArts never got away from that.

What I never understood why they didn't do a true 3D strategy game with the engine of Homeworld. That, although they often pushed the envelope in the 90s. And that, even although the makers of Homeworld cited George Lucas as their inspiration.
Someone must have thought that this would be far too complex for the masses, hence Empire at War -> 2D.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

May 29th, 2022, 23:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
On the Codex, if a game doesn't require the use of graph paper, it's not an RPG.
They try to sell this myth, but in truth they vote like any other RPG site:
For example:

GotY 2019

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)

May 29th, 2022, 23:48
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
They try to sell this myth, but in truth they vote like any other RPG site.
Yeah, I think a lot of them spend more time playing the games they like to bash than the ones they pretend to like.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

May 30th, 2022, 01:02
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
They try to sell this myth, but in truth they vote like any other RPG site:
For example:

GotY 2019
2019 must of been a tough year if they had to include platformers!!

I know you already posted it but 2021 is a lot more "traditional" i.e. GotY 2021.

I think it is getting harder to define whether something is a cRPG or not. What I like to do it try to think of what the developers were aiming for i.e. the primary function of the game.

For star wars fallen order I feel it was to be an action game with adventure/action/RPG elements. It has QTE's and running/jumping gameplay.

Witcher 3 on the other hand, while it may look similar at first glance, mostly limits the action elements to combat - dodging enemies attacks and moving into position to attack. Everything else is based on the actual characters skills/equipment rather than the players skill. New combat techniques are solely unlocked through character development and rarely though finding a new item.

Having said that, there are definately elements of Witcher 3, like horse races, that sit more firmly in the "Action" genre. This do a small amount of RPG elements though i.e. horse equipment that gives your horse stats.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

May 30th, 2022, 02:26
That reminds me, where's the next Middle Earth: Shadow of Whatever (hopefully Shadow of Bruz)???
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

May 30th, 2022, 14:13
I will be getting this. I liked Fallen Order. One aspect I didn't like was all the backtracking. Every level you had to backtrack a long way to get back to the ship though you did open some shortcuts. In contrast games like Tomb Raider or Skyrim would usually have a shortcut back to the beginning of the level once you completed the dungeon or tomb.

Xian

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - Star Wars Jedi: Survivor