General News - 10 Best Story Rich Games

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a list of the 10 best story-rich games, put together by Techquilla. You might have a personal list that is different from this one.

BioShock Infinite

Ken Lavigne’s BioShock Infinite is one of the most popular story-driven games out there. The game follows gun-for-hire and brute Booker de Wit who supposedly owes some dangerous people a lot of money. Now he’s been given a chance to clear all his dues and perhaps even redeem himself of his past sins.

Booker is send to the floating city of Columbia which is ruled by one Father Comstock, who manipulates people into following him in the name of religion. Booker’s objective is to abduct Comstock’s daughter Elizabeth and take her back to New York with him. However this simple task turns out to be far more complicated than he initially anticipated.
More information.

Ouch. What a lousy list…
No mention from the classic games like Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis, the Gabriel Knight series, etc -- the list is truly endless. (an where is the The Witcher, anyone?)

It's got all the "big" names on the list though: Bioshock, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc, so this list must be somewhat accurate, right? Well, no cigar.
All these games had very good world building, but they were pretty light on actual story.
This is a common mistake though. World building does not equals to a great story.

Ouch. What a lousy list…

Refused to even visit the link when I saw Myrthos quoted Bioshock Infinite being a entry on it. That "only penis matters" crap is supposed to be a "best story"? LOL
Honestly, can't stop laughing.

Last edited:
Also - Firewatch? Really? I enjoyed that game and all, but including it in a top ten list of story rich games is a bit of a joke. It's a short game and you spend most of it wandering around the wilderness on your own. Atmospheric, interesting, good narrative? Definitely yes. Top ten story rich game? Nah.

They forgot Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis.
And The Secret Of Monkey Island, too.

Both are my personal standards I measure everything against. Especially the first one.

A lot of people thought Bioshock infinite had a really good story. Mind you I didn't find it that great myself but i certainly wouldn't go as far as you with an utterly inappropriate insult.

Refused to even visit the link when I saw Myrthos quoted Bioshock Infinite being a entry on it. That "only penis matters" crap is supposed to be a "best story"? LOL
Honestly, can't stop laughing.

They forgot to add Cyberpunk 2077. Obviously.

Nonetheless, as story-rich games are my cup of tea I might reconsider playing some of the titles on the list. I could not get into Life is strange and I never played the new dreamfall chapters. Also never heard of Ken Follet’s Pillars of the Earth before.

@Alrik obviously you meant monkey island 2 with its open-ended story. A great documentary is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F9ahZQ7oP0
If you have one hour free... or just watch the last 5 minutes for some theories. Love many videos on that channel.

I guess the question is whether "Story Rich" actually means that the story is good or well presented, which can be a huge difference. And wether the game has to be great and also have a good story, or if the Story has to be great and it also must be a good game.

Imho the Bioware games like Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age Originals were pretty awesome in presenting their story. Was the story really good? I actually don't remember a lot about it. To be fair, I don't remember a lot about any games' story.

Avadon also has an awesome story. But of course the presentation is horrible.

Divinity Original Sin 2 had a pretty good and rich story. But the presentation was also behind what Bioware offers.

From older games I remember Reals of Arkania 1 which I would consider as great story/setting back then. But again...presentation....

I only remember that I liked the Story of Witcher 1 quite a lot. And that's actually a game I only played due to the story. But I really can't tell anymore what it was about. But apart from the great story I also remember that the combat / Gameplay sucked.

I'd really have a hard time to make such a list...

Just to mention few of them that are far better then any on this list, and it's just from the top of the head:
Final Fantasy series
Chrono Trigger
KOTOR I and II
Baldur's Gate I and II
Planescape: Torment
Witcher I,II, and III
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
and so on…

I so love the comments on these articles were everyone has to say their list is better then the linked site. The best ones are GOTY lists in January and February. Good times.:lol:

...the list includes Dragon Age Origins and mentions Garrus as one of the companions. Isn't he from Mass Effect or do I remember it wrong?

Either way, I haven't played most of those games on the list so really can't comment much on it apart from the fact that none of the games I did play on it would make my own. Perhaps Mass Effect, I am a fan of Space Opera after all.

Well, "best of" lists are made to be disagreed with, so naturally that's what you get. But there's 3-4 titles on there that I wouldn't mind trying out. Both DA:O and ME2 were decent, character- and story-wise. One might even say the respective series peaked with those games.

Lol, please... DA:O and ME2 as story rich?? I enjoyed both games but not for the story.

I actually thought DA:O had a pretty decent story. I was a little diluted by the length of the game but it actually seemed to be fairly deep and 'rich'. That's not to say there aren't better stories in games (or stories told better); but...

As for ME2 - what can I say it was just more of ME1. I haven't played it in a while and I can't really remember it presenting anything that rich or unique storywise beyond me-1 but perhaps i'm just not remembering....
-
Again I'm not trying to push DA:O as a great story rich game but I did think it actually had a fairly deep story with a number of arching sub-plots. The biggest negative I remember was that a lot of those sub-plots were predetermined and you could only change a few of them in boolean fashion.

Lol, please… DA:O and ME2 as story rich?? I enjoyed both games but not for the story.

For what else? Certainly not the gameplay! ;)

I enjoyed ME2 for bonding with companions and experiencing the universe. Its the only sci fi game I enjoyed.

I didn't like DA:O as much but it sort of got a free pass for being fantasy RPG. I liked the "origins" part though which is like... first 10-30mins of the game.

Yeah, DA2 was probably more "story-rich" than DA:O, at least if you played it all the way out. It had the better characters as well. Still, I preferred DA:O for the character system and other elements.

Back
Top Bottom