RIP John Wetton

Nukester

Sentinel
Bummer. Ive been listening to a TON of stuff lately that he was involved in

http://www.johnwetton.com/

"Rock music legend John Wetton sadly passed away in the early hours of this morning, Tuesday 31st January 2017, after a long and courageous battle against colon cancer."

Another sad loss ... as anyone would have expected, the arbitrary 2016/2017 did nothing to stop the number of aging music and pop culture stars from aging and sometimes dying :(

Weirdly enough, I predicted this some years ago.

My parents are baby boomers, born during the war, so these kind of conversations aren't unusual in my world, as they steadily increase the amount of funerals they go to each year.

It was this generation, and the folks born in the following 10 years, who gave birth to the phrase "Everyone's going to be famous for 15 minutes", and mass communication has increased in speed and veracity to the extent that someone recently adapted the phrase to relate to the modern world whereby "Everyone will be famous for 15 seconds".

The sheer number of celebrities being produced each year started rising rapidly from the beginning of the 1960s onwards, and we're only just beginning to see the tip of that generation start to drop off.

In the future, it wont be "were they famous/important enough to warrant comment, but "who're the biggest losses this week?".

When Steven King pops his clogs, maybe he'll be competing with Steven Spielberg, Bill Clinton, Mick Jagger, Mike Tyson, Delia Smith, Arnold Schwarzenegger all on the same day.

No offence to this guy, I'm sure his death effected many people, as most deaths do, but there must be 'well known' musicians dropping like flies out there and making a thread for each and every one is kinda over-stating their position in the world's death hierarchy. Not being mean here, just being future mindfull of the temptation to turn off-topic into one big Obit Forum.

Perhaps it's time for a pinned "Currently Dead" thread, or "What Celebs Are You Currently Mourning" thread, or "Post random Obits" thread, etc etc.

My bad, I didn't realize only a select few could post an RIP here…….

RIP Princess Leia
RIP - Terry Pratchett
May you rest in peace, Mr. Mandela
RIP George Carlin
RIP John Hughes
RIP Steve Jobs
RIP Neil Armstrong
RIP Harold Ramis
RIP H. R. Giger
Pac-Man creator died
Robin Williams RIP
RIP Joe Cocker