Bard's Tale IV - New Screenshot

Looks at the huts: meh
Looks at the distance: uhoh, fog, not a good sign
Looks at the ground: WOW!! Look at those rocks! They stick out like good, tesselating rocks should and I don't see any pattern to them at all. The shallow puddles look excellent as well!

You know that argument on graphics impacting game quality sounds like another argument we had not so long ago but for the life of me i can't remember which game. Anyone remember ?

There's nothing wrong with great visuals. Heck, I'm quite the graphics whore when it all comes down to it. Even so, I would prefer the emphasis be placed on other things when the budget is so limited.

My cause for concern, if you can call it that - because I'm not invested enough for genuine concern - is that a small team with a small budget caring about the visual presentation to this extent, would seem to indicate unusual priorities for an indie crawler. Art assets on this level cost a lot of money in terms of time and man-power. However, maybe their team is bigger than I thought - and maybe they can easily afford it. I wouldn't know - it just wasn't my impression.

You guys have a very weird view on forever…this was backed in june 2015….games take a bit of time to make.

I did say "seems". I didn't back this, so I have no investment in its release. It can come out in 2020 and in hindsight it might.

Well, 2.5 years for a budget crawler from experienced developers isn't exactly a short development cycle.

As for good graphics for indies, I think the rise of professional asset libraries (like Quixel Megascans) has changed the calculation somewhat.

Wolcen, for example, have made use of them.

Last edited:
Looks pretty damn good to me, but how it looks it's hardly what matters in my opinion. Nice graphics are always exactly that, nice, but I can agree with Dart in that I'm worried if they put to much resources in that department they might be lacking in others that are way more important to me. Hopefully that's not the case though.

Sigh, is it really useful? How much money this cost? Ok if it can allow sell more and make more players happy, up to refund the cost, then why not.

But frankly my worry is the combats. Face to face combats can't work anymore for me. The only rescue path is manage multi front, example is many combats of MMX and in fact the only really fun combats of it, and probably some Wyzardry at least from what I saw in some video (Barking Dogs school, second grade student).

This is the only combat vid I've seen so far:
https://youtu.be/tdOlts5srGM

Looks ok to me, I like the fact you get to play with positioning, that opens up some tactical possibilities in what is usually a pretty stale system.

Sigh, is it really useful? How much money this cost? Ok if it can allow sell more and make more players happy, up to refund the cost, then why not.

But frankly my worry is the combats. Face to face combats can't work anymore for me. The only rescue path is manage multi front, example is many combats of MMX and in fact the only really fun combats of it, and probably some Wyzardry at least from what I saw in some video (Barking Dogs school, second grade student).

Combats? Really?

Back
Top Bottom