Fable 3 - Molyneux on moving away from an RPG

Molyneux also noted that the market share for RPGs is a niche, while action-adventures sell more broadly and are easier to market.

Unfortunately he is very right, imho.

Actually, this is pretty much the design of the capitalistic world. If you don't expand, your competitors will, and you'll lose territory in the end. Hence, if you're not growing, you're slowly dying. You can't remain status quo for too long in an intense market.

I agree.

Often I hear a similar argument from gameers themselves, who demand modding tools of any game : "If you can't work with the game, it dies", or so.

Well, to his defense it is probably MS that told him all of this, and they probably added if you don't want us to treat your stuido as that studio who made MS flight simulator or age of empires…. they were great games for their genres… but these genres was not profitable enough… so now you have a choice and it will have some consequence… which one do you choose ?

The same company that was responsible for the "Shadowrun"-Fiasco ?

In a western movie, an cliché-like american native would say : "They are speaking [with] a twisted tongue".

He is mostly right unfortunately whether we RPGers like it or not.

We see things like "The RPG market is limited by core gamers" right here all the time. The hard core RPG gamers all whine about every new RPG that comes out because it's not exactly like some older game.

You know, it reminds me of some of my old college buddies who used to complain about CDs as compared to vinyl albums. The world has moved on; get over it.

P.S. Didn't particularly like either Fable (1 even less than 2) as an RPG or whatever.

Last edited:
Well, to me, for example, Drakensang actually IS like a step back in time - but with a step forwards in terms of graphics and implementation ! :)

We're talking about some guy who is what exactly?

First, he makes a certain console exclusive game, right? And wants that game not to be only one genre. Anyone noted a contradiction here?
Why should we even bother with his crap statements ment probably to create an illusion for 10 yr old kids?

Besides, I'm not gonna miss that game. There are plenty of awsome RPG titles out there, and even more to be released this year. And so my money doesn't go to this what did you say his name was?

Are RPGs a niche? I assume when Molyneux talks anout RPGs he means that to inlude ME, FO3, DA:O... Seems a comfortably big niche to me. Do acton adventures have broader appeal? Possibly, but I think you would find a lot of overlap if you would look at the actual sales numbers. So the real question is mot what genre he thinks it is - the questio is can he make a good enough game to attract 5 million payers?

Back
Top Bottom