Crusader Kings 3 announced

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Holy cow, I did not expect this, but they just announced Crusader Kings 3 is in production!

Crusader Kings 2 is one of my favorite games: the depth and even roleplay is pretty amazing. I was not expecting a sequel so quickly, since they're still kind of working on CK2. It's been quiet on that front, but it only just got a beta patch for 64 bit support.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. It won't have the depth of the current game on release I am sure (and yes, it'll probably become a DLC-o-rama), but the screenshots look pretty great. I just hope they won't bork it like they did with Imperator.

3? Neverheard about previous two… What's the story about? :)

3? Neverheard about previous two… What's the story about? :)
You make your own story. That's the rp element of the game. In its main essence it is a strategy game where you play as the leader of a county, duchy, Kingdom or empire. Many players choose to roleplay their characters and push through the game in that way. Others decide to play it as a blobber.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You do?
Well, my made up stories suck I think, never tried to publish any. One thing is sure, I'm not Stephen King nor Danielle Steel to produce a 100 of books per year so I guess I'm gonna skippit. :)

I bet you've heard of it, @joxer;, you just forgot because it didn't interest you. There's not much RPG to it. It's more of a cross between a grand strategy game and a breeding simulator for nobles.

It's free to play this weekend if you want to check it out. Original review from PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/crusader-kings-2-review/

You do?
Well, my made up stories suck I think, never tried to publish any. One thing is sure, I'm not Stephen King nor Danielle Steel to produce a 100 of books per year so I guess I'm gonna skippit. :)

Danielle Steel lol lol lol, so big in Europe I guess?

My favorite games from them are Hoi2 4 + 3,
and then EU2,3,4
Then Victoria 2 only because the combat is so boring and bland. I think I liked Crusader Kings 2 little better and Vic 2 becauseit had a little more flavor, it’s more immersive of a World experience.
However the game is definitely very much different than other strategy games because of the feudal system and Noble Heritage system in it. But that's also its greatest point of interest. If they expand upon that, make a combat a little bit more interesting I think it might be a really good game

Never could really wrap my head around it in the sense of feeling like I knew what to do from moment to moment. EU4, no problem. Played well over 200 hours of that, never lacked for motivation or direction. CK2, I flail, despite my best intentions. It'll be difficult to follow up a game with 15 add-ons without losing a bunch of content and then selling it back to us... but there is a lot of room to make the gameplay less opaque and make some systems (plots/intrigue, for example) more interesting.

Point me towards nude mods and I'm instabuying!
ROFL! Yeah, not much there to make naked in the first place. However, BattleTech is going to start supporting mods in a month or two! :wow:

I bet you've heard of it, @joxer;, you just forgot because it didn't interest you. There's not much RPG to it. It's more of a cross between a grand strategy game and a breeding simulator for nobles.

Actually, I think there's a lot of roleplay to it. You are playing a character and guiding his/her actions in the feudal world, and you have a lot of freedom on what you want to do within this framework. It very much invites for emergent stories, that enfold as the game develops.
I still remember fondly my game starting as Harald Fairhair of Norway, conquering England and repelling the forces of both William of Normandy (the not-conqueror in this case) and Harold Godwinson. Several years later, he lost it again to a set of rebellious English dukes. After dying a bitter old man, his dimwit son, guided by his brilliant spouse then unified the Scandinavian peninsula. Near the end of the game, Harald's great-great-great-…-granddaughter had lost the Danish crown, but ended up as Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, pushing women's rights: a true feminist and strong woman avant la lettre. :)

But, we all know the term "RPG" means different things to different people. For Crusader Kings, all you need is a little imagination. ;)

EDIT:
For the record (and to manage expectations in case anyone is interested in giving CK2 a spin), I personally wouldn't classify this as an RPG either (hence why I put the thread in the Non-RPG section). It is mainly a GSG (Grand Strategy Game), but I do get a lot of roleplay enjoyment out of it.

If anyone wants to try it, the base game is free to keep at the moment at Paradox Plaza (Paradox' own webshop), and I think if you sign up for the CK3 newsletter you get the Old Gods DLC for free as well.

Last edited:
It'll be difficult to follow up a game with 15 add-ons without losing a bunch of content and then selling it back to us… but there is a lot of room to make the gameplay less opaque and make some systems (plots/intrigue, for example) more interesting.

That would be my main concern as well. I am afraid it'll feel, at launch, very "bare-bones" compared to CK2, though it'll probably look better. Although, as far as looks go, I don't think they should go for 3D characters, but more of a stylized, medieval look.
I still remember the character art of the first game very fondly.

Remains to be seen how different this one is going to be.

The UI hints at changes, they might be cosmetic or deep.

I've seen gamers do and say a lot of dumb things, but flooding Paradox games with bad "reviews" over this Deus Vult thing may well be the dumbest ever.

Yeah, this would get high marks in a "Top 10 Roleplaying Games" list that didn't limit itself to RPGs.

Everyone knows how much I hate random generators and so called procedurally generated content.
Seems that someone, within this game, found an implementation of dice not only I won't hate but will probably persuade me into buying this game:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/crusader-kings-3/sex
Crusader Kings 3 is on the way next year, and Paradox’s latest grand strategy game offers plenty of ways for you to express yourself. ‘Expression’ as medieval ruler typically involves a lot of sex. After all, you’ve got to build marriage alliances. You’ve got to produce heirs. And you’ve got to destroy it all by getting caught in scandalously stupid affairs.

Lifestyle perks, for example, let you do things like remove your own sexual preferences so as to better manipulate your fellows. It seems that Crusader Kings 3’s possibilities are so extensive in this regard that the game even features a procedural sex scene generator. It seems you’ll really be able to get your Game of Thrones fantasies in order.
Lemme think about it a bit and in the meantime please share - where do I preorder? :D

Random numbers or no random numbers (do any games actually have NO random numbers?) we know you are full of BS simply because of the lack of a nude mod....
---
But it does raise an interesting question - what was the last RPG or strategy game that had ZERO random numbers ? And if one does (or did in a future time) exist would it be any fun ?

Lemme think about it a bit and in the meantime please share - where do I preorder? :D

After collecting and reviewing bits of information, this is going to be another product packed with toxic features.

CK2 was a failed game in the way it was supposed to be about personal power and these days, proponents of the american system, which constitute the bulk of players, are statist favouring institutionalized power.

In CK2, rulers (including the player) were supposed to rule out of personality when players, in their quest for power, were obsessed with building the institutions to support their dreams of massive conquest and subjugation.

It seems, though, that Paradox still wants to deliver a product about personal power and has including binding mechanics that could force players to play CK3 as intended.

This wont work, there is going to be a river of tears at launch, PX forum is going to be bombed with demands for change.
At the end of the day, PX will backpedal and try to dilute as much as possible the design.

Back
Top Bottom