Gothic - Possible Remake?

Gothic is 20 years old. You're not going to get a game with the exact same soul. Not even from Piranha Bytes.

Did you even try the demo?

Yes, I did. And?

I'm sure you have different definition of what "soul" means in this regard, which is fine. As I said, I think ELEX (by Piranha Bytes) actually does feel more like Gothic('s soul); for example, the beginning of ELEX just gets it better done for me, with being more open from the start, and much less exposition dialogs you can't skip. Which is a Gothic thing for me.

I hope they patch the dialog, because I want to try it! I couldn't get into the original Gothic 1 but I loved Risen 3 and like the fantasy portions of Elex.

Here's a good review of the playable teaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SIRfEudRwU

And, oh man, for some reason I got dizzy while watching that review. I'm not sure why. Is it the game? The camera constantly scrolls around while locked onto an enemy. I'm usually very resilient to motion sickness from games.

You been hangin' `round dem New Yoewk City folks @crpgnut;? We are from dah heart land where

anything worth sayin'

is worth taken'

a long time

tah say! ;)

Well, I'm not a city or state, but my motto is don't slow me down with talky-talky. Let me read at my pace, and move on to something interesting. PB isn't known for their dialog. Broken English isn't really a great strength :)

Well, I'm not a city or state, but my motto is don't slow me down with talky-talky. Let me read at my pace, and move on to something interesting. PB isn't known for their dialog. Broken English isn't really a great strength :)
Old PB maybe they improved with the Risen games and Elex.

Yes, I did. And?

Well you claimed that there didn't seem to be a magical barrier in the sky when it's clearly visible. That's why I asked if you've played it.

I'm sure you have different definition of what "soul" means in this regard, which is fine. As I said, I think ELEX (by Piranha Bytes) actually does feel more like Gothic('s soul); for example, the beginning of ELEX just gets it better done for me, with being more open from the start, and much less exposition dialogs you can't skip. Which is a Gothic thing for me.

You're judging a concept demo. I expect a finished game is going to be significantly different.

As far as feeling like Gothic, I thought they did a pretty good job. I found the combat and dialogue system disappointing, but those are things I would expect to be tweaked as development goes on, especially the combat.

I've no doubt Piranha Bytes would be a better choice, but afaik they're currently developing Elex 2. I also have the impression that they're not interested in doing remakes.

Did anyone notice that this new Gothic game has a completely different ending than the old one?

Gothic - Possible Remake?
1576322217_861560.gif

a concept demo
Well, damn.

Well you claimed that there didn't seem to be a magical barrier in the sky when it's clearly visible. That's why I asked if you've played it.

Well darn, I didn't notice it. I will play it again maybe to check it out.

You're judging a concept demo. I expect a finished game is going to be significantly different.

Sure, I am just telling my feelings about this concept demo. And I *hope* the finished game will be different. (But in the end it doesn't really matter.)

Last edited:
Of course I had to try it. First impressions is that it doesn't really feel like Gothic. For one thing there was a lot of cut scenes. Still, I will be interested in seeing how (and if) it develops. I had heard that this was just to judge interest.

I'm going to wait on the (hopefully) released version before diving in. I want to go into the remake completely blind to be surprised by it, even though I've played and beaten the original game. That said I'm all for a remake. Bring it on. :)

In this remake there is only one thing that in common with other Gothic games: Gothic games logo. Even Arcania: A Gothic Tale seems far superior to this.

Combat is awful. There are many good stamina based combat games in the market: Surge 2, Code Vein or Jedi Knight Fallen Order. They should examine these before making the combat for this remake.

It seems remake is designed for controllers in mind. Mouse and keyboard seems to added later. There are heavy mouse acceleration in the game, even turning the camera makes my stomach churn like hell. You can't use mouse in inventory screen.

Character voices not bad but I prefer old Diego's voice to this. Also body animations are overused in cutscenes and dialogues, and it looks funny sometimes. It resembles Two Worlds games to me somehow.

They must use Piranha Bytes' consultant to add Gothic soul to this remake.

Well I for one think people don't realize this is just a small concept demo made on a small budget. The new developer had a FAQ that answered these questions already.
We know you must have a thousand questions– we’ll try to cover a few in this FAQ:

Q: Who is developing this project?
A: THQ Nordic Barcelona. You can find out more about the studio at www.thqnordicbarcelona.com (Hint: We are looking to grow our team)

Q: Is Piranha Bytes involved in the project?
A: No! Piranha Bytes is working hard on a different project, which will be announced in 2020.

Q: Wait, why can we only play two hours?
A: Because it’s just a prototype, done by a new small team in Barcelona and we wanted to do an unusual approach and give this into the hands of players early. What you are going to play is all we have to show you at the moment.

Q: Ok, got it. But if we want the full game, how long do we have to wait?
A: Quite some time. We will only start full production if the community demands a Gothic Remake. In order to do so, we will need to grow the development team and rebuild Gothic from scratch.

Q: This can become a remastered HD version of Gothic?
A: We’d like to call it a remake. We are using a completely new tech (Unreal Engine 4) and so basically nothing but the story, the setting, the atmosphere, the music and the world of Gothic will remain. The whole tech, all graphics, the sound, different systems will be recreated according to modern high quality standards.

Q: Can I buy the prototype?
A: Yes and no. Everyone who owns ANY game from Piranha Bytes will get it for free - so if you don't have either Gothic, Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Risen, Risen 2, Risen 3 or ELEX you can buy one of them now and the prototype is also yours.
There you have it a rough concept at best and not finished yet.

:Q: Is Piranha Bytes involved in the project?
A: No! Piranha Bytes is working hard on a different project, which will be announced in 2020.
---
I thought PB already announced Elex 2 ?

:Q: Is Piranha Bytes involved in the project?
---
I thought PB already announced Elex 2 ?

Nope, it's still an industry secret.

Well, except for Risen 3 all post G1/2 games took 3 years to develop. Again except for Risen 3 they usually announce their games 1-2 years before the release. I still hope for a 2020 release of Elex 2. Or Gothic 5.

Well, I wish them luck. I think a new Gothic is a fine idea, but I'd prefer if it was a spiritual successor, rather than a remake. Either way, I'll likely buy and play it.

Back
Top Bottom