What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I enjoyed Downfall, and I usually find animated films hard to watch. They had the right idea with having it take place immediately before the start of Dead Space.

There's another animated film called Dead Space: Aftermath that takes place right before the events of DS 2.

I watched Aftermath as well :)

I actually like some of the stories in that one better than Downfall - but the awkward CGI animations that take up half the movie are extremely distracting.

But it actually helped me understand the story of DS2 a little better, so that's something.

It was fully English-dubbed when I watched it. That can probably be changed in the options though. Maybe that was just the default setting for my region?
The language spoken in the movie about half of the time is german and another half is english. There are also some dialogues in not sure which languages (arabic?).

I have watched the version with absolutley no dub. And with subs of course.

It is possible that Netflix USA sets dubbed versions as priority, too many times I've seen imdb imbecilles slapping 1/10 on movies only because the spoken language is not english.

It was fully English-dubbed when I watched it. That can probably be changed in the options though. Maybe that was just the default setting for my region?

Yeah, just started it and it defaulted to English. But if you change it to "German [Original]" and the subtitles to English (not English CC) then you get the English bits in English and the German bits in German and English subs only for the German bits.
The subtitle/audio labels are a little misleading.

Gerald's Game

Been a long time since I've watched a new King adaptation. I'm a newish fan of Mike Flanagan, and this is well done, like most (all?) of his films. Being set almost entirely within one room and with two actors, it's not particularly cinematic...more like a play... but excellent nonetheless.

Gerald's Game
That bit with the cuffs near the end had me freaking cringing. Ouch.
Pretty good adaptation, especially (as you note) given the limited scope of the story.

Re: the director (Flanagan)
I've only seen this and Absentia by him (which I also liked), but Oculus, Hush, and Doctor Sleep are all on my to-watch list.

That bit with the cuffs near the end had me freaking cringing. Ouch.
Pretty good adaptation, especially (as you note) given the limited scope of the story.

Re: the director (Flanagan)
I've only seen this and Absentia by him (which I also liked), but Oculus, Hush, and Doctor Sleep are all on my to-watch list.

It had me pause when it was about to go down and watch the rest later on. I'm a chicken. Over the top gore doesn't bother me, but more intimate stuff like that with dramatic build-up can be a different story.

Hush is great. Doctor Sleep is on my to watch list too.

I liked Doctor Sleep quite a bit. I think it's underrated and sort of flew under the radar. I'd even say it's one of the better S. King adaptations in recent years. It's a must-see if you liked The Shining.

I liked Doctor Sleep quite a bit. I think it's underrated and sort of flew under the radar. I'd even say it's one of the better S. King adaptations in recent years. It's a must-see if you liked The Shining.

Yeah, I would agree with that. As a sort of expansion of the lore and the first story - I felt it was surprisingly well handled.

Not a particularly great horror movie, for me, but still pretty good - and the cast was great.

The Brand New Testament is marked as fantasy, but under that it hides a superb comedy of absurd.

What's it about?
God's teenage daughter escapes to earth with a certain plan where nothing will ever be the same as before.
Expect tons of philosophy and satire, but not a single boring crap.

The movie is such a gem I have decided to find the author's previous two fantasies.
Won't be easy I bet, these are (supposed to be) belgian movies.

Riders of Justice is the latest Jensen's comedy of absurd.
As expected with all kinds of weird characters and dark humor.
But get prepared for philosophical dialogues about life and also open questions you will have to choose the answer yourself.

If you check random user reviews on imdb you'll notice that everyone missed to spot something.

This theme is used in opening and ending.
Yes, this is a christmas movie. And one that deserves to be on your list of the best christmas movies ever.

Oh you know which ones are those, but here's the list for those who just got born and weren't brainwashed by weinstein&co, alphabetically:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096741/ - 36.15 code Père Noël aka Deadly Games (1989)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307987/ - Bad Santa (2003)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798603/ - Bad Santa 2 (2013)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4443658/ - Better Watch Out (2016)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/ - Black Christmas (1974)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/ - Rare Exports (2010)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400525/ - The Ice Harvest (1989)

If someone doesn't believe these are the best christmas themed movies ever and not those lousy cables push and shill for every year, feel free to check them up.
Hopefully didn't miss any.

Back to Riders of Justice. Is it good, bad or ugly?
It's a damned mustwatch masterpiece, that's what it is.

Back to Riders of Justice. Is it good, bad or ugly?
It's a damned mustwatch masterpiece, that's what it is.
Looks fantastic.
I think I recognise that guy behind the beard (not Mads, the other one) from those movies about the grumpy detective with the mulsim sidekick. I can't remember the name of them off the top of my head, but there were three or four and they were excellent.

Edit: Department Q!!!

Last edited:
The Dr. Sleep book is really good, I highly recommend it. I watched the film some time later, and while it was okay, it truly pales to the novel. When I do a re-read, I plan this time to read the Shining first then go straight into Dr. Sleep.

One of the more intriguing trailers in recent memory :)
Noomi in any trailer is intriguing.
The movie? Got the award for originality at Cannes 2021 where it was screened about a week back.
That award makes it a mustwatch for mainstream haters like me. ;)

Looks fantastic.
I think I recognise that guy behind the beard (not Mads, the other one) from those movies about the grumpy detective with the mulsim sidekick. I can't remember the name of them off the top of my head, but there were three or four and they were excellent.

Edit: Department Q!!!
I have absolutely no idea why international streaming rights were given to amazon. Prime is not available in as many countries as Netflix.
If Riders of Justice were on Netflix, I bet it'd be the most watched movie in this year there as it contains enough fun for dumb&dumbers while dropping plenty of breadcrumbs for everyone seeking thoughtprovoking stuff.
Do watch it and after you do, don't miss Jensen's older movies where he directed Mads and Nikolaj.

There was a time where some people were shilling for Mads in Geralt's role. Back then I said no, his forte are unusual characters as he can make them believable on screen. Geralt is not weird nor crazy enough for Mads. Riders of Justice just proves it.

And yes, Nikolaj Lie Kaas basically destroyed the role of Carl Morck so much I can't imagine anyone else doing it.
Sadly, due to filming rights given to different producers, in new Department Q movies the role went to Ulrich Thomsen.
He is also a fantastic actor, but I'm not sure how will that look like.
Definetly will watch it to check, but currently it's Denmark/Iceland/Russia/Ukraine only:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10451312/

I hope Lamb is better than Pig. :)

One of my mates has a phobia of talking animals since we took mushrooms on a farm one time. I may treat him to a double bill.

Back
Top Bottom