Mass Effect: Andromeda - Most Disappointing Game of 2017

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
For Link-Cable Mass Effect: Andromeda is the most disappointing game of 2017:

Editorial: Why Mass Effect: Andromeda is the Most Disappointing Game of 2017

When 2017 was still new, there was a lot of anticipation surrounding the 4th chapter in the Mass Effect saga. BioWare had proven themselves master game makers not only with the first three games in the series but there other titles were largely all hits and the developer had cemented their reputation as one of the industries best, in fact we even named the game our 2nd most anticipated game of 2017, behind only The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Well time truly does make fools of us all, as the final game we received was rife with issues (both technical and artistic) and tarnished not only BioWare’s reputation but possibly ensured that we don’t get a new entry in the series for years to come.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I don't understand all the complaints about this game. It wasn't any more buggy than their other games, but I played it after a couple patches.

Nothing groundbreaking, though, although planetary exploration was 1000 times more interesting than any of the ME games.

So yeah, I'm stumped.

I don't understand all the complaints about this game. It wasn't any more buggy than their other games, but I played it after a couple patches.

Nothing groundbreaking, though, although planetary exploration was 1000 times more interesting than any of the ME games.

So yeah, I'm stumped.

Well reviewers play the games before any patches come so there is that.

Yep, the game was ok. Some flaws but all in all I had a lot of fun.
Then again this was the only game in 2017 than was weaker than I had hoped for. So yes, for me it was the “most disappointing game of 2017“.

When EA started releasing their games exclusively on Origin I simply stopped playing their games, so I never tried ME:A. The first two ME games were quite good though. I never finished the second, so I didn't try the last instalment of the trilogy. (which is Origin exclusive anyway so I probably wont ever finish the trilogy)

I kind of agree with the title.

I got it, played it for quite a bit and then without even realizing, i just stopped and never returned. Disappointing for sure but definitely not the piece of crap that people have been saying.

When EA started releasing their games exclusively on Origin I simply stopped playing their games, so I never tried ME:A. The first two ME games were quite good though. I never finished the second, so I didn't try the last instalment of the trilogy. (which is Origin exclusive anyway so I probably wont ever finish the trilogy)

Exactly this!

Hmmmm, the follow up to one of the worse games of all time wasn't good? Well heck, I'm stunned. Then again, there is nothing appealing about either Origin or EA. Yuck.

Which is unfortunate because there are very few good party-based sci-fi cRPGs to be had.

I am still playing this game, at this point it seems ok and it contains some cool ideas, including a humorous approach to bureaucracy, which wasn't really dealt with before and the idea of being on a new frontier. The characters seem more grounded and less "magical blue space elves". One of the male romances has the classic badboy features packaged in a sanitized way, he even has a car and talks about mechanics. The multiplayer game has its moments, depending on my immersion. The whole internet calling Mass Effect : Andromeda as disapointing does make me more critical and less immersed in the setting though. Sigh. It probably never could equivocate with the way it was being marketed, but that is sort of industry standard by now. I guess.

Actually to me it was the opposite of disappointing. I had the least expectations of it because I played it like a month after release (so it was already patched several times), so when I played the game it was better than I expected (except for the pure-shooter combat system, I did hate it just as expected).

:rolleyes:

I'll just mention three titles: Destiny 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Middle Earth 2.

Now, is ME4 really the most disappointing game of 2017?
Yea, right. It's not even the most disapponting sequel of a game.

Link-Cable, please, return under the whatever rock you've been living this year.

Speaking of Destiny 2, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a bigger disparity between critics and gamers. That game has a metascore of 84 but an average user score of 3.8

Battlefront II (PC) has a 67 Metacritic score and 0.9 user score, which is a bigger disparity, numbers-wise at least. It's also the lowest user score ever recorded for any game on Metacritic. :lol:

I guess Middle Earth: Shadow of War (the other game Joxer mentioned) has a bigger disparity too, with 78 vs 2.9.

I wasn't disappointed at all with ME:A. I didn't waste my money on it.

I got Middle Earth for free with my new comp, and I won't waste my time on it. Tried it for about 3 minutes and decided I have much better things to do with my limited free time.

Disappointing to whom? The other games Joxer mentioned were never on my radar as ones I'd consider playing, so I really didn't care whether they came in over or under the expectations of those who might. ME4, on the other hand, was something I could see myself playing, so it was mildly disappointing to me when it turned out to be... let's say significantly flawed. But it's not like I didn't have a huge pile of other games on which to spend my limited free time, so my disappointment was small.

I played through the game. It was somewhat buggy but not horribly so. The main problem was simply the animation was so bad compared to the first 3 games which resulted in a ton of negative press especially with the whole "Sorry my face is tired" memes. EA is solely to blame for this as they pulled so many of the staff working on this game to Anthem. If I remember correctly the game only had like 18 months of development time after many issues with the game and interoffice politics to meet a deadline that EA had set. The game had been in development for 5 years but when you basically throw away 3 1/2 of 5 years development to make a game your going to have some problems.

I'm playing this now...well I was...then interrupted to start TW3 again ;-) I only bought it when it was cheap and it is OK, but I hate the 'profiles' concept with a passion. And it has its own oblivion gates (those bloody remnant towers)...I wouldn't have paid full price for it.

Speaking of Destiny 2, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a bigger disparity between critics and gamers. That game has a metascore of 84 but an average user score of 3.8

The irony is that the game is average :)

I thought Andromeda was very good, personally. The only really disappointing thing about it, to me, is the hivemind ignorant overreaction to it.

Yes, it had visual issues and the writing wasn't that great. The latter being very common for modern Bioware games.

Overall, though, it was a worthy entry - and it's really sad that we might not see more of that kind of Mass Effect.

I expect they'll go back to mostly linear corridor shooting again.

Back
Top Bottom