Last game you finished, tell us about it

Funny you mention RoMD because I was recently looking for that myself. I saw it on an abandonware site, but it looked like I'd have to jump through some hoops to get it running on Win 10, and I didn't think it was worth the effort. I still have the retail big box buried somewhere in my boxes of games too.

I wish someone would publish it on GOG. I want to see if still seems as bad as I remember.
Maybe you already read it, but the post on this page from 3 weeks ago says it works on Win10 with dgVoodoo: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/pool-of-radiance-ruins-of-myth-drannor-bb3

I personally thought the game was fine, but I'm sure part of that was just how nice it was to have a turn-based D&D game during the height of the RTwP fad.

So, I finally finished Terminator Resistance. Its a shooter yes, but bits of role playing mixed in. I'm an old Boomer so I was glad the story was good and actually I thought it was great. Nice mix of characters and summary at the end to see what your choices brought.

I have 30 hours in it and was both happy and sad to see the credits finally roll. Lol, I don't finish many games any more.

I think I'll play it through at a harder level. Kudos to the Polish team who made it.

Days Gone

Estimated playtime: 80 hours (didn't exhaust content, but did most of it).

What a slow burn this game was.

It didn't really get going until 10-15 hours into it - when it really opens up and becomes compelling.

Turns out it's now one of my favorite games of all time. It's up there with Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite when it comes to storytelling - though the presentation is different, being less linear and the unfolding of plot much slower.

It's also one of the best open worlds I've experienced. There's no copy/paste here - and every single location feels handcrafted and meaningful.

It has a lot of diversity when it comes to regions - including forests, swamps, snowy areas, deserts, mud/ash and so forth.

It features the best vehicle implementation I think I've experienced as well, with the fully customizable bike being incredibly detailed - and controls particularly well. Every little detail has been cared for - and you can see everything move and your character manipulate gear shift, brakes, etc.

Progression is also nearly perfect. Even after 80 hours - I still had a few weapons to unlock - as well as some crafting recipes. I did max out skills - but only a few hours before the end.

Weapon variety is very impressive - with at least 50 firearms, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Tons of melee weapons as well.

You get to pick one melee weapon, one primary weapon, one side-arm and one "special" weapon. There really is no perfect loadout - and it all comes down to playstyle and what you're going to do.

Stealth is a bit basic, but it works well - and there's a strong balance of how to approach combat.

I love how suppressors are hand-made and get broken down. This means it's up to you to decide when to attach and detach them, and you have to be very tactical about when you use them.

It's a stroke of genius that your bike is where you save the game - and where you stock ammo. It makes it vital for survival - and it ties almost everything you do to it - meaning you really want to care for it and upgrade it.

There's a good variety of enemies - including around 10 "freakers", bears, wolves, cougars and quite a few human NPCs. The freakers are especially well done - because every single one of them has its own backstory and reason for its specific mutation.

Beyond that, you get a ton of "tourism" collectables to find - all of which seem historically accurate.

The game is set in Oregon - and you get to see a lot of the supposedly famous locations - as well as find historical markers, detailing the background lore.

It's also the best looking PS4 game I've played - and it definitely rivals Red Dead Redemption 2 in the visuals department.

It has great dynamic weather - with snow slowly covering the landscape - completely changing how areas look and feel, and snow even covers things like clothing and dead bodies.

Music is fantastic and includes atmospheric exploration tracks and intense combat stuff. Even better is that it has a handful of performed songs at key moments in the narrative - and they all work very well.

Most combat is good - but does suffer from being played with a controller. You do get "Focus" - which is Days Gone Dead Eye - basically, and it helps. Still, this game would be better on PC with a mouse.

That said, one of the most impressive and unique parts of the game would be the horde fights.

You're literally going up against hundreds of freakers (not-zombies) at once - and those fights are incredibly intense and appropriately challenging at the right difficulty level.

I honestly can't recall another game that gave me that level of intensity - at least not since I played competitive multiplayer shooters 20 years ago. It's really rather amazing.

Best part of the game would be the (very long) narrative - and it's mostly a very subtle piece. It's delightfully free from moralizing - and I don't think there's a single character in the game that doesn't have some level of dark side.

They've also gone out of their way to explain how things work - and you very slowly establish who you are, and how you came to behave like you do.

I started out with a mild dislike/disinterest in the protagonist (a biker called Deacon) - but ended up being very fond of him. It's quite the journey.

It's also probably the best example of how to do a very big open world game without losing the impact of the narrative. At least, it worked very well for me.

It does have its share of filler missions - but most are optional, and they give you good reasons to do them (mostly unique crafting recipes and the like).

I'm sure some people would feel it's just too long or too much content - but it worked for me because of how well progression is handled. You constantly have stuff to look forward to - and if you pick the right difficulty level (I highly recommend Survival mode) - you really feel like you need every upgrade you can get.

I could go on and on about how great this game really is - but I guess I've made my point.

Pros:

Superb storytelling
Great Characters
Fantastic music
Strong visuals
Great world/exploration
Great diversity of main missions
Tons of weapons
Amazing progression and pacing
Near perfect challenge/balance on survival
Cool and slow revelation of plot and lore
Good combat
Super intense horde fights
The bike

Cons:

Ending was merely decent - which is a step down from the rest of the game
Performance issues and stuttering towards the end-game, even on PS4PRO
Too frequent ambushes for my tastes
Day/Night cycle too short
Bike starts out having implausibly low fuel capacity

Overall, I'd probably rate it 9/10.

It would have been 9.5 if the ending was stronger and if the game didn't suffer from a few annoying performance issues towards the end of the game.

It rests comfortably somewhere in my top 10 games of all time.

Here are some videos of some of the cooler features:

I spent about 5h with it, but had to put it down since I again had issues with aiming on a controller. And not knowing whether it was worth it, I didn't feel like investing hours of frustration into re-learning to aim. I also remember it having huge load times?

I think I'll give it another shot when the PS5 comes around, with the more powerful hardware. Or maybe close after Last of Us 2, since I'll need to learn to aim to finish that one. So maybe I could shoot two birds with one stone.

I spent about 5h with it, but had to put it down since I again had issues with aiming on a controller. And not knowing whether it was worth it, I didn't feel like investing hours of frustration into re-learning to aim. I also remember it having huge load times?

I think I'll give it another shot when the PS5 comes around, with the more powerful hardware. Or maybe close after Last of Us 2, since I'll need to learn to aim to finish that one. So maybe I could shoot two birds with one stone.

The initial load time is quite long, but once you're in the game - most of the content is streamed without much issue. That said, there are cutscenes and backstory bits that take a while to load.

I've installed an SSD in my PS4 PRO - so it's not a big issue for me, but I've played it on a regular HDD - and that was a little annoying.

Not a big problem for me, though.

I'm definitely looking forward to Last of Us 2 as well. I've avoided most spoilers - and I don't really invest in the consumer spectacle.

Not sure what that's about, really - but I guess I'll find out :)

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I recently finished Bioshock Infinite for the third time - after nearly 6 years. This includes the two DLCs.

It's as good as it ever was - and holds up surprisingly well visually for a game that's 7 years old. I still love that game to bits.

I saw some articles about Days Gone, suggesting that the early reviews had given it mediocre scores, because they clearly hadn't got past the slow start. Many of the later "second look" reviews consider it a bit of a classic, and urge people to seek it out. It's definitely next when I have time for a big game.

I saw some articles about Days Gone, suggesting that the early reviews had given it mediocre scores, because they clearly hadn't got past the slow start. Many of the later "second look" reviews consider it a bit of a classic, and urge people to seek it out. It's definitely next when I have time for a big game.

I also believe it suffered from a number of bugs and technical issues at launch - which I've been fortunate enough to dodge.

I never even heard about it until after it was "fixed up".

That said, it's true that it's definitely not the kind of game that's in a hurry to make the biggest impression. It starts out well enough - but doesn't really come into its own until much later.

It's very, very unusually back-ended. In fact, some of the very best features of the game don't really come into play until after the halfway mark (including horde fights and the most impressive regions of the game).

I hope you get a chance to play it - as it's really something.

Yeah, Days gone is awesome. It's one of those games I can't wait to replay and have to force myself to play someting else.

Can't wait for the sequel (fucking O'Brian!).

Yeah, Days gone is awesome. It's one of those games I can't wait to replay and have to force myself to play someting else.

Can't wait for the sequel (fucking O'Brian!).

Yes, I was extremely pleased to hear about the potential of a sequel. I feared it wouldn't happen because it wasn't as well received as was expected.

I'm hoping against hope for a PC port as well.

PC port won't happen, But hope is free.

Myself, I hope for a hardcore mode actually difficult, and random hordes roaming the open world.

You never know - if they're bringing an exclusive like Horizon Zero Dawn to PC, I guess anything's possible. I could see the sales strategy - bring the big PS games to PC years later so people get a taste for them, and try to tempt them to buy a PS when the spectacular sequel appears.

Well, you predicted years ago that RDR2 would be ported on PC (while I was dead on certain it wouldn't), so maybe you're right.

There's a lot a driving in the game though, wich is always funnier with a gamepad (there, there Joxer, drop that gun).

It makes sense to do a PC port once the platform exclusiveness effect has worn off.

I believe Rockstar have demonstrated how to do it properly. Wait a year or two until the vast majority who're invested have bought it for the supposed "exclusive" platform - and then release it for PC to double-dip.

Seems to work quite well.

With a sequel coming up - it would make a lot of sense to me to release it for PC before the next one releases - to prepare the biggest audience for your upcoming game.

That said, who knows.

I just think this is a game that would be particularly delightful to experience on the superior platform.

At the very least, I'm hoping they'll make a patch for PS5 - so I can play it without the performance niggles.

Well, you predicted years ago that RDR2 would be ported on PC (while I was dead on certain it wouldn't), so maybe you're right.

There's a lot a driving in the game though, wich is always funnier with a gamepad (there, there Joxer, drop that gun).

Well, after having bought 3 versions of GTA5 - it did seem inevitable :)

But Sony might be a different beast.

It's interesting, actually.

I have exactly zero interest in the next Xbox - because I know all the games will be out for PC as well.

The reason I'm interested in PS5 - is because I know it will have the exclusives - and I know some of them will be worth it.

That said, out of the dozens of games I've played on PS4 - there are only two games that were worth it:

Last of Us Remastered and Days Gone.

Still, for me, it's all about the games. I couldn't care less about the platform.

Still, for me, it's all about the games. I couldn't care less about the platform.
Same here.
I like cheap stuffs though (I think the younger gamers give too much of their money to video games companies).

I just played through Jedi Fallen order and it was an amazing experience. The best jedi and star wars game since jedi knights and kotor I&II. Playing this game just made me utterly happy. :) How long has it been to play a star wars game which actually was worth of something… This game captured the magic of star wars and made me grin stupidly all the time while playing it. Yeah it is not a rpg, but as an action adventure it really does it's job well. :)

I just can't wait the sequel. I'd love to see them throw few new force powers into mix and maybe have a chance to have a blaster pistol. And new exciting planets to explore… New ways to custom Cal and his crew would be awesome as well. I just want it to continue and never end.

I just played through Jedi Fallen order and it was an amazing experience.
I've been watching my son play it. He held off and held off until it was recently pretty cheap. Looks great, and he's having a fantastic time .

Back
Top Bottom