Torment: ToN First impressions

Drithius

Magic & Loss
I've deliberately stayed away from the beta and review sites.

So far, it's feeling more like a point & click adventure game than an RPG. But I'm really intrigued by the game systems in play - a lot more creative than the dry copy/paste D&D stuff in PoE.

I've deliberately stayed away from the beta and review sites.

So far, it's feeling more like a point & click adventure game than an RPG. But I'm really intrigued by the game systems in play - a lot more creative than the dry copy/paste D&D stuff in PoE.
Point & click so it has lots of puzzles where you use inventory to solve? If not, then a more proper term would be visual novel.

visual novel.

It certainly can feel like that at times. Despite that, I'm really enjoying how there's little hints embedded in dialogue on how to solve side quests in a completely different manner. Although picking out such details from an NPC's novella dialogue tree can sometimes be difficult.

Also wish the interface had an option to remain static and not animate itself when talking to new NPCs. It's distracting.

So far, it's feeling more like a point & click adventure game than an RPG.

That was a popular opinion of its predecessor and the impression I get too.

I quit PS:T because I got so bogged down in all the text quests. It felt very unfocussed.
And I am a guy who loved text adventures.

I think if I play the new game in doses I might be able to get through it.

I've only played maybe two hours so far but I'm really enjoying it. I'm just taking my time with this one because I know it just won't last as long as I wish it would.

I just find it hard to believe an RPG can be over at 20 hours. Maybe I'm old-school in that sense but at 20 hours I feel like I'm not even warmed up to a game yet!

I hope Torment does very well for InXile, and maybe it funds the next Torment project which could be some really huge RPG in this setting. :)

quit PS:T because I got so bogged down in all the text quests. It felt very unfocussed.
And I am a guy who loved text adventures.

You are in a nondescript room of nondescript size. Exits are to the north, south, and west. Oh, and there's a Grue over there in the corner.
There is half a leaflet next to the Grue.

You are in a nondescript room of nondescript size. Exits are to the north, south, and west. Oh, and there's a Grue over there in the corner.
There is half a leaflet next to the Grue.

xyzzy

I've started over a handful of times... I don't like how the mind-reading ability Scan Thoughts forces you into the Nano class if you're looking to fully explore the game the first go-around. They should not have made it class-specific.

I love being a nano myself, I find it pretty cool. I normally avoid things that are mage-like, but I think of this as being more psi-ish, so I'm taking it to the hilt. Even if this game is as short as the one I played previously, if I get a solid twenty hours of fun from it, I'll be happy.

Well, according to the in-game timer it took me 16 hours to finish the first area of the game, but I'm a SLOW player and a completionist. There are still two more major sections to go!!

I've started over a handful of times… I don't like how the mind-reading ability Scan Thoughts forces you into the Nano class if you're looking to fully explore the game the first go-around. They should not have made it class-specific.

I don't think it's a terrible idea though. It at least adds to replayability. Kind of like playing a Malkavian your 2nd time through VtM: Bloodlines. I don't necessarily think we should be able to see every dialogue option on our first playthrough.

Definitely not. In VtM: Bloodlines, how could you possibly do everything in one run? Impossible due to the design, and that's a good thing for RPGs like it.

I don't think it's a terrible idea though. It at least adds to replayability. Kind of like playing a Malkavian your 2nd time through VtM: Bloodlines. I don't necessarily think we should be able to see every dialogue option on our first playthrough.

Well, take for example the below encounter. You would simply not have any idea of the backstory if not for mind-reading. I maintain that it's a poor design choice to lock a good portion of all contextual information (in what is basically a text-driven game) behind a single class.

ehobdq7.jpg

I'm sure that contextual stuff is not 100% necessary to continue in the game, though. It gives you a reason to play through as another class or use different skills on a 2nd run. I see no problem with that. Quite the opposite, really. Choices and consequences extend to class design and skill-set as well.

Last edited:
Looks to me like playing Malkavian in Bloodlines e.g. giving unique interactions to a single class. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

I am at 7 hours and really enjoying the game. Played a lot last night and even stayed up late I was so intrigued with things. I have explored circus minor, underbelly, and government square so far. Today heading to the cliffs edge. I am fine with the less combat and just love all the chatting, choices to make, and figuring things out. I also like not knowing anything about my choices. Meaning I don't want to see little hints next to each dialogue that say this one increases tide X or that you need Y% to "make" it. It feels more much natural and organic the way they have set it up.

I live with the decisions and only reloaded once for a choice (couldn't resist one thing in particular).

The combat is odd to me though. I have only had two fights so far and the second one was like 6 to 3 (Me, the lady nano, and Tybir). Me and the Lady went down on the 4th round and "died" and I came to inside my mind and then just exited via the portal … and everyone was alive. It just struck me as odd. I expected to die and have to reload or, at the least, the lady would be dead and need reviving. I admit the combat confuses me in general though. In the first fight, in the introduction, I once got an attack animation that killed the reflection but then got the message "you can not attack this turn".

So I feel a bit lost with the combat and think it needs some polish. I have trouble figuring out the rounds and just what some abilities do and why they would be useful. Maybe because so much of it is different from the standard and its rare enough I haven't had enough practice. Also seems odd they put so much effort into combat (meaning items, combat only stuff, etc.) and there is so little of it. I just hope I don't reach a point where I am stuck since there is no difficulty slider for combat and my guy is really not combat focused.

Outside of combat, however, the game is a real gem and loving it.

It doesn't sound like there's much of a penalty for dying. I find that disappointing if that's the case. It's not a deal-breaker or anything, I just prefer when there's more consequence for losing a battle.

Back
Top Bottom