Battletech

Thanks @Darkheart;!
Installing IS a pain! You've got to remove your save directory (or, better yet, just rename it) and clean out a directory in AppData, too! When there is a problem, you don't just crash out, either - the dang thing just spins and spins as you're trying to load without any error indication. If the window is full screen, you can't get out of it and have to sign out of Windows to get the program to stop. Still, it's small potatoes compared to the time you get in game.

Cleaning out the hidden Windows folders is only necessary if you want an absolute clean slate. I have only done it once when the transition to v.0996 (Flashpoint) was done. Otherwise it should be enough to verify files over Steam, disable Steam cloud saves and use the option in the RT installer to remove the folders they recommend. I would also recommend to disable auto-updates in Steam for the game.

Three questions @Darkheart;

1. Can it played offline and not use the server for the map?
2. Can it be installed and played with the GOG version?
3. What about the online economy? Is it necessary to play?

As that Nexus F.A.Q doesn't really offer much information.

Three questions @Darkheart;

1. Can it played offline and not use the server for the map?
2. Can it be installed and played with the GOG version?
3. What about the online economy? Is it necessary to play?

As that Nexus F.A.Q doesn't really offer much information.

1. Yes. I think there is even an option for that in the installer.
2. Should be the same procedure as with Steam, so just download the installer. I don't have the GoG version, though.
3. No. And it is disabled for the moment anyway.

Thanks as that whole online map/economy was not something I like.

So I've gotten back into this game again, now that the season pass DLC has shown up. There's been some significant changes…

• There's a game option to let you speed animations up. Mechs will teleport close to their destination then stomp into place instead of walking the whole way.
  • Stability has changed. I'm still not totally clear on it but I think the old system allowed 100 stability points before falling for every mech. Now the heavier mechs take quite a few more points to knock over. The old end-game system where your LRM boat knocks over a target mech then the rest of your team slaughters it before it can stand up again isn't going to work so well.
  • New mechs. Lots and lots of new mechs!
  • Special systems on a few of those mechs. For instance, I've been fielding a Vulcan which has a special system that let's support weapons shoot at longer range. The Raven has ECM making mechs near it impossible to target until they shoot and a probe ability that's like the scan skill but area of effect. The Cyclops has a battle computer that allows everyone in the lance to move one phase early. And there's others.
  • Some skills have been tweaked. Bulwark isn't so OP now, though it's still pretty good.
  • More weapons! LBX weapons are like shotgun AC's. Snub PPC is like a shotgun PPC. UAC is a dual AC weapon. Coil weapons shoot out more damage the faster you've moved that round (jeez, if I could find some of those for my Vulcan). Mortars are expensive AOE weapons. There's some new equipment, too, like heat banks and exchangers.
  • Career mode for your later play-throughs. From the sound of it, this was initially a bit of a dud but the DLCs added to it. There's now something of a campaign in career mode. Nothing nearly is big and interesting as the main game's campaign but it's way better than just doing random missions.
  • Stray shots - don't let them line you up if you can help it! Misses can fly past the target and hit a different mech. Direct-fire missile volleys can knock an evasion pip off multiple mechs if the line up for you! (No friendly fire, though. That would be a good difficulty option to put in, IMHO.)

Yeah I had a lot of fun in career mode. I think I made the difficulty too easy for myself as I've been running around with assault mechs for too long.

If I do another run I would make needing 5 salvage I think.

That would slow down progression and let me enjoy light and medium mechs more.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I set it to 4 and that's been working out fairly well. Still, the new "Titan" missions can help, along with some luck. I got lucky and had two Highlanders of the same type attacking each other, which could have let me leg both of them to death and get one early. (I got one but the other decided to explode on me.)

Anything above 3 definitely makes a difference, though. There's no way to get a mech when you see it the first time no matter how surgical your attacks are. It's GOT to show up twice (or have a piece show up in the store).

Speaking of - I think they're going to have to do something about that black market. If you are nice to the pirates, you get good prices on LOTS of stuff and stores are everywhere. I don't know why I would every ally with a major faction when the pirates have better in more locations.

I set it to 4 and that's been working out fairly well. Still, the new "Titan" missions can help, along with some luck. I got lucky and had two Highlanders of the same type attacking each other, which could have let me leg both of them to death and get one early. (I got one but the other decided to explode on me.)

Anything above 3 definitely makes a difference, though. There's no way to get a mech when you see it the first time no matter how surgical your attacks are. It's GOT to show up twice (or have a piece show up in the store).

Speaking of - I think they're going to have to do something about that black market. If you are nice to the pirates, you get good prices on LOTS of stuff and stores are everywhere. I don't know why I would every ally with a major faction when the pirates have better in more locations.

I think I'll restart with BattleTech Advanced mod. That looks like fun and has been updated to work with 1.8.1, so seems like a good thing to try next. It also has more interesting light mech mechanics and many more mechs as well as a full mech customisation bay (i.e. engines). I will probably put it to 5.

Regarding pirates, I just don't find it interesting. I tend to roleplay a tiny but and in my most recent playthrough I basically did everything to hurt House Liao whenever I could. I was helping mostly two houses too and generally being an honourable mercenary. I might try a different tack next game (e.g. do everything for money?)

Update 1.9 is being worked on and should give us a lot more mech and even some vehicle variants.

The last has me frightened. Those pirates seem to have plenty of U-AC/20++ weapons. If they start fielding Devastators with a pair of those things....

Virtual arm race ;)

Update 1.9 is being worked on and should give us a lot more mech and even some vehicle variants.

The last has me frightened. Those pirates seem to have plenty of U-AC/20++ weapons. If they start fielding Devastators with a pair of those things….

1.9 is out. It's supposed to be the last patch but there's a couple of bugs in the patch notes that say they are to be fixed ASAP.

You can roll back to the previous version if vehicles with NARCs and inferno carriers scare you too much. ;)

Back
Top Bottom