What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I watched the IT movie last night, I believe it was in theatres maybe a year ago. While I really enjoyed the cast, I thought they did a stellar job there, overall I prefer the nineteen nighty version more.

Whoever did the updated version needs to reread the books again, they changed quite a lot in the movie. The biggest error is that the kids seem to be in the nineteen eighties, where the book had them in the fifties era instead. Personally, I find the mental/philosophical changes between the fifties and the eighties far greater, than, say the eighties and today. I'm assuming the second part will be set in contemporary times, but I could be wrong on that.

That movie is incomplete cashgrab and I refused to watch it. When the story gets completed, then I'll rent them all.

Krull is a 1983 movie that i've seen. Its ok for mindless dwibble but it really isn't worth my watching again... There are better things to do - heck there are a lot of movies, if i had to watch a movie, that are a lot better than krull. Mind you if you enjoy it watch it by all means but I rather see something else myself. Heck a lot of the old john wayne movies are more amusing - even though they aren't that great.

Did you not read what I posted? KRULL now go watch the movie :)

I prefer the new one myself. While some might think it is a cash grab; I thought it was really well done - having read the book several times I also think this one captures the mood better. Yea the second one is when they return 19 (I think it was 19) years later to deal with the creature re-emergence from slumber.

I watched the IT movie last night, I believe it was in theatres maybe a year ago. While I really enjoyed the cast, I thought they did a stellar job there, overall I prefer the nineteen nighty version more.

Whoever did the updated version needs to reread the books again, they changed quite a lot in the movie. The biggest error is that the kids seem to be in the nineteen eighties, where the book had them in the fifties era instead. Personally, I find the mental/philosophical changes between the fifties and the eighties far greater, than, say the eighties and today. I'm assuming the second part will be set in contemporary times, but I could be wrong on that.

It, was one of the better movies i've seen in a long time. I'm a sucker for the the 80s style kid adventure movie vibe, which this had a lot of.

Also, a friend and I decided to break out the vodka, and watch James Franco's new movie Futureworld. Please, for your own sanity, never watch that movie unless you're intoxicated.

Joxer usually focuses on 10% of something and makes it 100%.

I wouldn't give it much weight, personally.

Krull. I watched Krull last night, so I will never have to watch another movie again because you can't do better. I made my wife watch it with me because I got to pick the movie last night. She told me she was going to make me pay when it's her choice next. I knew she would love Krull.

Its the dialogue that really saves the film

I thought I would save them as a memento of our journey

I thoroughly enjoyed Solo. In fact, I think both side stories/prequels were vastly superior to the new trilogy movies. I didn't hate them, but Adam Driver plays what must surely be the most shit Star Wars villain ever, and with Leia, Luke, and Han gone, my anticipation for the third one is much decreased.

(My boy is a Star Wars fanatic, so I'll be seeing anything SW related regardless.)

Yea something seems wrong with Adam's character; or rather portrayal of the character. I don't know him (as an actor) but it still smells like a director issue.

I never understood Kylo Renn's motivation… why did he leave the resistance and how did he develop his idolization of Vader? He comes across as a complex character presented as a cipher, and impossible to identify with. Vader wanted to give the Empire to his son and would do anything to achieve that. That desire is understandable, Kylo Renn's are not.

Kylo Ren has succumbed to the Dark Side and is filled with fear, anger and deep troubled insecurity. Vader has become a legendary figure and he longs for a father figure having rejected his absent, biological father and been betrayed by his uncle. Snoke has stepped in.

He's also teenager. The Force becomes yet another overwhelming emotion that these teens have to deal with in all their angst. The Jedi attempt to repress it (like the Bene Gesserit and Vulcans) where the Sith embrace it.

Complicating things for him is Rae. She seems to ease a lot of his troubles, gives him new found confidence and was the motivation for his rebellion.

The Dark Side and the Sith (and the Jedi) have greatly changed since the first Star Wars movie. I would portray Darth Vader as Lawful Evil in the first two movies but by Jedi and the prequels they are much more and obviously Chaotic and at times portray and believe themselves as benefactors.

Personally, I found the Star Wars sequels to be awful films, with plotting that was presumably arrived at through a game of Madlibs.

Krull, of course, rules

Krull, of course, rules
Meh I'm more of a fan of Kull the Conqueror.:biggrin:

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kull_the_Conqueror

220px-Kull_the_Conquerorposter.jpg

So let me get this straight: Kull conquered Krull ?
No just two separate movies based on two different books.:)

Link - https://www.amazon.com/Kull-Conqueror-Sean-Moore/dp/0812577744

One way to look at Kull is a Conan knockoff.
Kull of Atlantis, once a slave and a pirate, has seized the throne of fabled Valusia. But his reign is not an easy one. Jealous nobles and scheming priests plot against the new king, and Kull can trust no one--except, perhaps, the beautiful fortune-teller Zareta.

Kull's enemies will go to any lengths to overthrow him, even reviving an ancient sorceress who has been dead for three thousand years. Alivasha, witch-queen of lost Acheron, uses her unholy magic to seduce and betray Kull. Now he must fulfill a cryptic prophecy to defeat the forces of drakness--and reclaim his crown.

Krull was awesome.

Kull was just a cheap Conan knockoff.

The SW sequels aren't great, but at least they're better than the prequels.

*These messages were brought to you by the JDR13. The contents of these messages are verified to be facts and cannot be disputed in any way.*

Is Kull being just and only a Conan knockoff a fact or opinion ? Come to think of it was the sequels being better than the prequels a fact or an opinion ?

Krull was awesome.

Kull was just a Conan knockoff.

The SW sequels aren't great, but at least they're better than the prequels.

*These messages were brought to you by the JDR13. The contents of these messages are verified to be facts and cannot be disputed in any form.*

I remember as a kid seeing a review of Krull on Swedish TV, that was such a "wow!" moment for me, i couldn't wait to see it, and obviously i loved the movie. It's the first movie review i can remember where i got intense "hype" for something lol

Kylo Ren has succumbed to the Dark Side and is filled with fear, anger and deep troubled insecurity. Vader has become a legendary figure and he longs for a father figure having rejected his absent, biological father and been betrayed by his uncle. Snoke has stepped in.

He's also teenager. The Force becomes yet another overwhelming emotion that these teens have to deal with in all their angst. The Jedi attempt to repress it (like the Bene Gesserit and Vulcans) where the Sith embrace it.
In other words, Kylo is a whiney bitch by nature and lost his shit when Luke told him to tidy his room for the 10th time... "I bet grandad never had to tidy HIS room..."

Joxer usually focuses on 10% of something and makes it 100%.

I wouldn't give it much weight, personally.

Neither would I. If your first sentence was true.

Back
Top Bottom