Top 10 CRPGs of all time

It's definitely worthwhile to make the effort with Planescape:Torment, particularly if you liked the murky moral world of The Witcher,along with a high level of NPC scripting and character development. I'm gearing up for my first ever replay--one of a kind RPG, for sure. :)
I found the English text and voice files somewhere on a PS:T site! That looks good for a new try!

Hi all new to the forum! :)

Heres mine (in no order):

Final Fantasy 7
The game that changed everything!

Final Fantasy 8
Almost as good as 7 but story wise not quite as good.

Planescape: Torment
A refreshing take on the Genre, great writing.

Baldur's Gate 1
Great RPG and pretty different to what had come before it!

Baldur's Gate 2
Took a great RPG and made it even better!

Gothic 1
Great open game world, have yet to play the sequels but have ordered them!

Deus Ex
The best game of all time! The story and illusion of freedom is amazing!

Enchanted Arms
I was very surprised by this one but looking back its an amazing albeit tough game!

Lost Odyssey
Reminded me of the good old days of Final Fantasy 7 & 8.

Zelda Ocarina of Time
Introduced so many great concepts, a game you never wanted to end!

Baldur's Gate is such a great game. Most of the time when i put on an older game, or watch an older movie that i used to really like, i realize that my memories are tinted rose-colored and they really arent all theyre cracked up to be.

And I'm not saying that BG cant be tedious: the inventory system especially in regards to arrows and such is awful, the dreadful pathfinding in any kind of enclosed area can be maddening, the repetitive fights against such flotsam and jetsam as gibberlings and wolves around every corner is exhausting, the length of the game itself can be daunting - all these things do little to detract me. I cant wait to play it again! That's the hallmark of a good game.

Final two chapters to go, then I install TOTSC and play thru that. I didnt finish BG the first time thru, so this will be the first time i battle Sarevok.

Maybe it's also that BG just has a special feel to it for me. Besides being my first real crpg, Im experiencing a bit of D&D and CRPg history when i play it - it's a relic of sorts of a bygone era. For me personally, anyway, i have no desire to play any of the old crusty pre-BG games, that's where i draw the line!

I copied the #1 cd to use in the drive and put the originals back in their sleeve for safe keeping, they are my oldest game relics. Ill be passing them on to my cub when i shuffle off this mortal coil. Or maybe I'll have them bury me w/ them, perhaps that would be more fitting ='.'=

Ill be passing them on to my cub when i shuffle off this mortal coil.
Would this be considered a forward looking statement, or has our little Sammy been busy?

Forward looking, at least a couple years, tho we just had a major scare due to the unreliable quality of a certain birth control product - thankfully Aunt Flo arrived right on time. Ol' Sammy was truly sweatin this visit.

Made me see the wisdom behind the old fuddy duddy notions of "waiting til marriage". With her not on my insurance right now it would totally sledgehammer us financially if anything happened. We are legal, working citizens of this country after all, not like we can just stroll in and have Uncle Sam turn around and pay us to have a kid. She is part Mexican tho, maybe i could just not show up @ the emergency room ='.'=

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread -

I was going to offer congratulations, but perhaps congratulations are in order instead... ;)

Welcome to the Watch Hostile_17.

Your Top Ten list is a good one....although I think Final Fantasy 8:)poo:) is the odd one out. I've never played Enchanted Arms or Lost Odyssey.

You'll really enjoy Gothic 2, make sure it's the "Gold" version. It's just as good, if not better, than Gothic 1.

Final Fantasy 8

I loved FF8 , I think it is a good thing to have on his list. It is not great as an RPG per see. But it is a pinnacle in visual story telling, so beautiful, and a lot of fun to play through.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Yeah for me Final Fantasy 8 was a step forwards from Final Fantasy 7 in all but Storyline. I was rather disappointed when they went back to a more over exaggerated style in Final Fantasy 9. The cast was brilliant and you didn't really know where the story was going at all which I enjoyed. A problem with a lot of RPG's these days is that you already know the threat and what you have to do to beat it before you even set off. I enjoy a story with lots of twists and surprises. Also the card game was really, really addictive and almost a game in its own right!

EDIT: oh yes and I've ordered the Universe edition of Gothic, I believe that comes with the second games add on pack! It's going to take me a while to get through them all!

Yes, it does. G2+NotR is hard to get through, but very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Final two chapters to go, then I install TOTSC and play thru that. I didnt finish BG the first time thru, so this will be the first time i battle Sarevok.
The first time I played it I didn't finish it, stopped in the last chapter during a sort of maze, probably not far from the end.

Few month ago replayed BG1, Few after to have finished the maze mentioned above I started play ToSC and never came back to finish BG1. In fact the final isn't that good, well perhaps the last area is better.

For me personally, anyway, i have no desire to play any of the old crusty pre-BG games, that's where i draw the line!
I see your point but your line is wrong, with this point of view it's more pre-Fallout 1 games, would be weird to let Fallout 1 behind.

Few month ago replayed BG1, Few after to have finished the maze mentioned above I started play ToSC and never came back to finish BG1. In fact the final isn't that good, well perhaps the last area is better.

Most people would disagree, BG has a great endgame and finale.

The final battle is great. The ending is awful.

It is just Kill Big Boss - cue short animation showing his icon breaking in some type of well of souls - roll credits.

They easily could have added some narration in about you not knowing what to do now, added some details about which NPC's part ways (maybe based on your actions and their alignment), which continue on with you (they were already developing BG2 before BG1 was even finished, so they had a good idea about which NPC's they were going to reuse and which they weren't).

The stock ending was very, very much a let down for such a phenomenal game. IWD had the same problem.

Last edited:
"Killing the big boss" is a spoil? I suppose it's sense of humor here. :biggrin:

I doubt many people will agree the final is so good. The maze before the caverns is an idea that could work but it didn't. It has no mood, story stuff here is quite limited, and the few traps aren't enough well setup to make the area good. Soon it become tedious, it's more something done in a hurry. And for the last area, I just enter in, but it seems I was just going to get a final battle as I was expecting.

In this case, Big Boss is a character, not a classification, so it would have to be considered a potential spoiler.

At a certain point we all have to acknowledge that saying the Vader is Luke's father is no longer a spoiler ...

Well, it certainly spoiled Luke's day when he found out about it. Something tells me you're a Vader fan, anyway (don't underestimate the power of the dark side, txa1265).

Back
Top Bottom