13 year old dad....

Remus

Antihero
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7889033.stm

It's hard to imaging to become a father at the age 13. There is no way he's psychologically & economically prepared to be father... At that age i don't know how i would handle the child-caring task.

But maybe that's from modern perspective. It's not the first case and historically, in classical China the child-marriage cases were often enough, in fact, it's part of their tradition. There's no family fallout due to the event as their social system and value accommodating to the marriage. The context of these cases were just different. I am sure there are similar cases in other societies with similar or different reasons...

Seduced by an older woman, too. :p

Seriously--not much of a life for a thirteen and fifteen year old. The article seems to imply that kids are having babies in order to get on the dole and out of their parents' homes. Sounds like a pretty drastic solution.

I showed this to my 12 year old ... he gets flustered just talking to his 'girlfriend' ...

They did not have the kid on purpose, the girl did not notice she was pregnant until it was too late.

I do think this comes from young people watching too much TV / internet / music all focused on sex.

They did not have the kid on purpose, the girl did not notice she was pregnant until it was too late.

I do think this comes from young people watching too much TV / internet / music all focused on sex.

... and parents letting TV / video games / friends raise their kids for them ...

Yeah, I'm sure that sort of thing never happened in the days of our grandfathers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure that sort of thing never happened in the days of our grandfathers. :rolleyes:

Actually it was very much the case in my wife's Dad's family ... the lack of parental involvement / supervision / guidance (all given with the back of the hand) leading to the kids to figure out life on their own. And seldom to good end. But that doesn't excuse the poor parenting - there are plenty of good parents in poor communities.

That was my point, really. It's always terribly easy to blame the turpitude of modern times, when in reality all kinds of stuff has been going on all the time. Including poor parents and kids making some really stupid decisions. Except that back in the day they'd most likely just have quietly drowned the offending girl in a lake.

We actually have a similar case in my country where two 13-year olds are expecting a baby in a couple of months.

You know, the thing that always amazed me about this sort of thing is the logistics of it. Where in the hell do 13 and 15 year olds go to have sex? Geez, I had a hard enough time finding a private spot in college, when I was out of the house and had a car.

That was my point, really. It's always terribly easy to blame the turpitude of modern times, when in reality all kinds of stuff has been going on all the time. Including poor parents and kids making some really stupid decisions. Except that back in the day they'd most likely just have quietly drowned the offending girl in a lake.

I know it has been going on since a long time back, and there is an island where children is encouraged since the age of 8, since it is an ancient culture.

But the numbers of people having sex, the amount of sex, and the amount of partners is steadily increasing, while the age of sexual debut is steadingly decreasing. These are swedish numbers but I saw simular numbers for other european countries, and asian countries.

I also know people who saw on internet and TV and explicity stated it as their reason for beginning, and even felt bad and regret after.

Was she hot?

Biologically the human body is meant to have sex from age 12 and forth. In societies where the tribe rather than the parents take care of the kids, having a child at that age isn't as problematic as it is in our individualistic "take care of your self" culture.

But the numbers of people having sex, the amount of sex, and the amount of partners is steadily increasing, while the age of sexual debut is steadingly decreasing. These are swedish numbers but I saw simular numbers for other european countries, and asian countries.

Do you have a reference?

Thanks. Yes, I do speak Swedish.

The data series from that only goes back ten years, and the article was in any case very selective about what it quoted from the study. I would be very careful about drawing any general conclusions from it. I would expect these figures to fluctuate a quite a bit over time as mores change -- the 1920's were pretty liberal compared to pre-WW1 or post-WW2 times, for example, and the time between the sexual revolution and the spread of AIDS was more liberal than the time before and after.

IOW, I'd like to see a data series from about 1900 to today before pronouncing confidently that yes, indeed, people are having more sex with more partners and an earlier age now than ever before.

I guessed you could read swedish :D

I have read the original studies but I could not find it availiable online, I will look for a better source.

We do not have data reaching 100 years back, so I could just say this is a very appearent trend for the last 12 years. I agree with you that a longer time period would be much better, but I still think by the magnitude of the results it says something.

I have some other data also, I will see which of it I could dig up online.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom