Outward very early impressions

So how's the death mechanic? It seems a bit silly that absolutely nothing can kill you, no? You starve and then you're… saved? Again and again? I feel like some scenario's should effectively kill you: sometimes you're saved, sometimes you're not.

How's the monster respawn? Is it a subtle thing where caves slowly repopulate, or is it a "boom, everything you killed 5 days ago is back exactly the way it was" kinda thing?

Is there other player housing other than the starting house?

Do NPCs have schedules (work during the day, go to bed at night) or are they merely immovable quest dispensers?

My first impressions from the day before, I've played some more since then:

I'm playing it a bit.

It feels a bit like Monster Hunter in that you need to get your head around certain concepts before getting into the real game and if you try that first, though the game does attempt to block progress before you get at least a few necessary items (but also gives you a way to ignore all that) I guess you'll get frustrated.

You have to first understand the backpacks, crafting items, cooking food, stamina/hunger/thirst systems, light sources, all that jazz. Once you figure it out it seems simple enough and you realize resources are quite plentiful (and like enemies resources also respawn, fish get back to the fishing spots, trees bear new fruit, etc) to make survival itself easy (like always having clean water available in town, which you can take with you in waterskins, and being able to sleep in town without the threat of enemies so you can spend all the hours repairing gear).

It only gets more complicated when you factor in other elements like enemies you meet in the wilderness or when you want to plan for longer journeys, quests, or whatever may require you to do things like craft rations and not just simple food to have it last longer (different food spoils faster or slower, though the rations don't give any bonuses beyond satiating hunger so you'll still want real food as long as you can have it). Combat isn't really Dark Soulsy like it looks, there are slight similarities but this is a CRPG game first with mouse based controls and hotkeys for skills with cooldown timers. It feels more tactical RPG and less pure action, though you'll still need to dance around enemies and attempt to avoid or block attacks manually (drop your backpack in combat, you aren't very agile with it on, lol, just make sure you have the items you want to use on you and not in the backpack!).

It's kind of like a modern Gothic game in that and in how you need to pay trainers to teach you weapon skills and improve your effectiveness in various aspects. And you do start out pretty shit. The story's pretty silly in the beginning but I guess it mainly wants to give you the idea that you can do whatever the hell you want, just past the initial sections I'm given the choice with NPC dialogues to head down three wildly different paths, which I can ignore of course and just go do whatever. If you want a Planescape Torment style game all about NPCs, they never promised such.

I like it so far, it feels quite polished though there are some elements I didn't expect like the towns and other areas having loading screens rather than being a fully free open world. Technically the game seems fine other than not being able to maintain 60fps on my PC so I locked it to 30 and left it at that. It's probably an engine issue rather than hardware requirements being too high, I imagine even people with lower specs than me get similar performance as my GPU and CPU usage isn't maxed most of the time but it still dropped frames. Whatever though, the 30fps lock works. I also prefer playing without voice overs, old school.

Still, it's too early for me to speak for the complaints some people list, they could become apparent later on (then again many of those complaints didn't have many hours into the game but judged it all the same). It's worth noting however that the more reviews the game gets on Steam the more positive the result seems to grow, it started negative (or borderline), then mixed and it's now comfortably in the mostly positive label. Some of the early complaints seemed quite over the top, people talking about not being able to kill shit with some crappy club they crafted out of wood when you can find nicer stuff by exploring the starting town. Not to mention the game's not just about going on a killing spree anyway.

Also, don't do what I just did, lol. I ventured way too far and now my dude is a prisoner without any of his stuff, forced to work in the mines or in other positions (maybe I got to be kitchen help before I closed it lol). I didn't even lose a fight to have that be one of those "defeat scenarios", I just waltzed in there myself thinking I got to a new settlement and tried to talk to people, lmao. I hope it's not too hard to escape and find my stuff when I get to playing again, haha. Here's my guy before that, he looks hobbity:
outward_2019_03_27_22azkhy.png

outward_2019_03_27_23acknk.png

Anyway, to me this seems like the best eurojank style CRPG we've gotten in quite a while! I didn't even plan to play it much, just check it out then go back to Sekiro with its super polished awesome combat system and feudal Japan setting I adore but it pulled me in, ha.

Last edited:
I'll agree that the game grows on you as you master what is needed. IMO it still needs a waypoint or fast travel system. It takes way too long to jog back to the various locations on each map. For instance, just running to the guy on the beach will take 20 minutes round trip and this is a very close location. The devs are claiming 80 hours of content, but 60 of that is running back and forth. That's not content, it's filler.

I wouldn't oppose fast travel, it could take resources like food and water and have random events pop up that mean you use more or less. But have it near-instant on your end even if in the game world hours or days passed. That could work well within its setting.

I wouldn't oppose fast travel, it could take resources like food and water and have random events pop up that mean you use more or less. But have it near-instant on your end even if in the game world hours or days passed. That could work well within its setting.

Yeah, that's how Horizon Zero Dawn handles it - you have to put together enough supplies for a "fast-travel pack", which I think is quite a good solution, and makes sense. Otherwise, you can try to jump on a wild beastie, and make the journey much quicker.

Yep, I totally agree on FT requiring resource use. Maybe a water and travel ration consumption and even mild damage to armor or weapons to reflect natural wear and tear.

From the reviews I've seen it seems one huge negative is that it is just a lot of empty space - is this accurate or is there stuff just not out in the open ?

From the reviews I've seen it seems one huge negative is that it is just a lot of empty space - is this accurate or is there stuff just not out in the open ?

It's not nearly as content-dense as something from Bethesda or Pirahna Bytes for example. It's not just empty space either though. I can understand people feeling it's light on content compared to other open-world games.

A good tip for this game: do quests that sound urgent immediately. Time-limits are real and can have pretty heavy consequences, like loosing access to a city, including your precious stash...

^This is especially true in the beginning. The first quest has a 5-day time limit. If you get captured by thieves or knocked out, you may lose a day or two in unconsciousness. I haven't run into any other time-based quests but that's because I start over 50 times.

I'm adoring this game. Very good way to start the 2019 RPG year. Very impressed that a 10 person team made such a polished game of this quality. Fluent Approved. :)

Well I managed to get out of that situation without losing anything (since I know in other circumstances this is a defeat scenario I wonder if they ever start setting these up so you actually lose your stuff, I got it all back fairly easily), even gaining stuff like recipes and money, and also found my way back to the starting town. And then it started snowing. So, this game has seasons too then. The town is now all in white and I need to manage my temperature. There's a fur armor for sale but I got little money. I caught a cold and had to drink a herbal tea too. I got the recipe to make it myself thankfully. Damn!
outward_2019_03_29_15ynjge.png

I also paid some trainers and got a new shield bash move and increased my health and stuff. I wasted the free training you get in the beginning on a 2 handed axe move, I don't think I'll be using 2 handed weapons much. The next skills the locals know are too expensive for now. I was hoping to sell a truckload of salt and other junk I have for easy money but it seems all that isn't even worth 1 silver coin, I can't sell it, they foresaw my scheme!

Fun game even when you get dysentery, I need to make time to play this more seriously :)

Last edited:
I'm with you, Alex. The game is growing on me. It can be brutal, but I keep loading it up every night. Have you tried the bandit leader on the first map? Two hits and he kills me and I took the health training. I also scaled the purple mountain because I thought you received mana at the top. You only get mana if you're on the quest for one of the factions.My goal is to totally explore the first map before moving on. So I want to clear all of the forts, ruins, bandit lairs, trog caves, etc. They will respawn but I want to clear them once each at least. So far I've done the trogs, part of the 1st bandit lair and one of the ruined cities. Several respawns during these times, but I persist.

I tried it about an hour ago here at PAX East. Ran around for 5 minutes trying to find something. Anything. Finally found two villagers fighting a chicken. I helped them kill the chicken but apparently the villagers were bandits and killed me. Combat seemed OK for that brief fight but I can tell there is a lot of pointless open ground in this game.

The open ground is far from pointless. You can gathers herbs, food, minerals, loot caches, and it plays into the survival aspects, i.e. you have to make campfires, cook food, do alchemy, rest, repair your stuff and so on. You have to understand the game and can't just play 5 minutes expecting to see anything or know what's going on. Once you get into it it grows on you big time as the game is very well executed. I'm having a ball with it, it's just as good in its own way as ELEX, though totally different games really. It's a very interesting game.

Fluent when I say nothing I mean literally 5 minutes walking around in purple grass with nothing to scavenge. Plants, herbs nothing. But I’m not knocking the game just posting and observation. The game surely has a lot of empty open space. Meaning literally empty.

Man, by reading comments here, it gives me hope for this game, because , honestly, I thought it will crap when I saw first gameplay videos.

Fluent when I say nothing I mean literally 5 minutes walking around in purple grass with nothing to scavenge. Plants, herbs nothing. But I’m not knocking the game just posting and observation. The game surely has a lot of empty open space. Meaning literally empty.

You played 5 minutes dude. There are things hidden everywhere, it's far from empty. I have over 10 hours played and my pack is bursting with cool loot. It is a very rewarding exploration game much like Gothic/Risen/ELEX. 5 minutes is not going to give you any kind of worthwhile information about the game, at all.

Man, by reading comments here, it gives me hope for this game, because , honestly, I thought it will crap when I saw first gameplay videos.

It's got a lot of quality, good and informative reviews on Steam too, if you want to read some of those. A lot of people are really loving the game, myself included. Just make sure if you play to take the game seriously, it will kick your butt if you aren't prepared for your journey (food, water, helpful combat items, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom