ELEX II - Release Day

Because I vote with my wallet, and I don't buy games that don't have proper K+M support. I'm done with controllers. I tried "solving" it by grabbing the Xbox Elite Wireless 2 or something like that, which was supposedly the best of the best at the time (maybe still is), but it's still rubbish compared to a proper K+M setup.

IMO, Depends on the game. Most games I'd go with KB+M but there's a bunch that are better with controller like Elden Ring, Devil May Cry 5, Monster Hunter World, etc.

But you won't catch me playing any FPS games with a controller.

I've just got a basic model Xbox One controller, the worse version of yours, but it's pretty good. The sticks feel nicer than the xbox 360 ones.

But because KB+M is more important I have a nice Logitech G910 mechanical KB and a Razer Basilisk v3 gaming mouse.

I'd play ELEX II with KB+M, like I have with all the other PB games.

I might not get a positive reaction to this, but there is just *tad* blind acceptance for any PB game here, even before it's released

I find it amusing too, compared to the usual near hate on everything, especially people who say they're buying a digital game just to have it but not play it, like it's going to not be available ever again after release (and probably on sale multiple times by the time they actually play it).

I find it amusing too, compared to the usual near hate on everything, especially people who say they're buying a digital game just to have it but not play it, like it's going to not be available ever again after release (and probably on sale multiple times by the time they actually play it).

So I'm pretty sure this is referencing my post. I will explain why. I bought it on purpose, even knowing I probably wouldn't be able to play it on my current ancient computer, because I want to support the game developer behind this game.

I like that they try to do old school rpg gaming, and there are not too many developers left who are still trying to do that. I also am a huge fan of the original Gothic game, as an aside.

So that is why I bought it for full price, to support the developer, rather than wait a year or so and buy it on discount.

You misunderstand.
Buying a game to play later is to support the devs, not out of fear they won't be available later.

I do this mostly for indy games or smaller devs. For example I did the same with Colony Ship RPG.

Week 1 sales tend to be more important for many devs so that's why it's important to do so this way.

EDIT
Just noticed Arkadia said basically ehe same thing.

Yeah, I don't get the hype. Gothic 2 won me over but they lost me again with Gothic 3 and since then I couldn't really be bothered with the jank.

Especially not when Elden Ring is newly released. Why wouldn't you be playing that instead?!
To the first point, yes, Gothic 3 was a mess when it was released. The technical issues were pretty bad. I'm not even considering minor glitches and graphical errors, as those things dont bother me, but there was slowdown so atrocious it made more sense to talk about seconds per frame, rather than frames per second. Even worse, much of the storytelling was weak, like wandering through the snowy wastes, searching for the traitor Xardas, and when you finally confront him…you basically just say hi and get a quest. What?!

Still, in spite of all of this, there was so much to love about the game. The map was huge, varied, and it was worth exploring fully, as there was just so much to be found. The game was constantly rewarding you for the things you did, with items and experience and stat boosts (do a relevant quest, get a small skill boost), and character development was a joy. Archery was awesome, I loved to go hunting as aiming felt just right. The music and atmosphere was fantastic. The scope of the game was vast. It's certainly flawed, but Gothic 3 is right up there among my favorite role playing games, and one I keep returning to even though I have done it all many times before.

As for why anyone would play Elex 2 instead of Elden Ring, I don't think the games are that similar, or am I mistaken? Elden Ring seems to be a game focused largely on combat and boss fights, whereas I'm all about exploration and immersing myself in the game world, getting to know the characters who inhabit it. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but this is what I personally want from an RPG.

The map was huge, varied, and it was worth exploring fully, as there was just so much to be found.

I often wonder what the person is referring to with a game like this. If the dialogue is poor, the NPCs paper thin and the quests generic, what IS there to be found? Herbs? Rats? More rats, but in a cave? What sorts of compelling things were there to be found in Gothic 3 when you explored it?

Btw, Elden Ring is all about exploration. If you truly put a premium on exploring a large world and finding interesting things, you would like Elden Ring a lot more than you expect.

I often wonder what the person is referring to with a game like this. If the dialogue is poor, the NPCs paper thin and the quests generic, what IS there to be found? Herbs? Rats? More rats, but in a cave? What sorts of compelling things were there to be found in Gothic 3 when you explored it?
Beautiful scenery, secrets, hidden treasures, side quests, magic, equipment. Gothic 3 had a lot to offer. The dialogue and characters were a mixed bag at best, but the numerous settlements still felt alive, and each had their own, very distinctive, charm.

Btw, Elden Ring is all about exploration. If you truly put a premium on exploring a large world and finding interesting things, you would like Elden Ring a lot more than you expect.
I might. :) It is quite expensive, though, and as someone who hasn't played any souls-likes before, I would like to try a demo or wait for a sale before I invest in it. I also don't see any point in playing it before I'm done with Elex 2, which I already know is my type of game. Hopefully the camera issue will be solved soon.

Btw, Elden Ring is all about exploration.

Is it? From the comments on this site it seems to be about punishing fights which invariably end in multiple deaths, even a resurrection mechanic. This is not a game design I like or would play. If it appeals to you, great, but don't wonder why not everyone likes the idea.

Is it? From the comments on this site it seems to be about punishing fights which invariably end in multiple deaths, even a resurrection mechanic. This is not a game design I like or would play. If it appeals to you, great, but don't wonder why not everyone likes the idea.

You told me what I said when I said something completely different, and then chastised me for saying the thing I didn't say.

I might. :) It is quite expensive, though, and as someone who hasn't played any souls-likes before, I would like to try a demo or wait for a sale before I invest in it. I also don't see any point in playing it before I'm done with Elex 2, which I already know is my type of game. Hopefully the camera issue will be solved soon.

I hope you do! I doubt there will be a demo as afaik there haven't been demos for their past games, but I'm sure it'll go on sale sometime in the future. If you can get into the mechanics, I'm sure you'll find the exploration very rewarding.

I was watching some Elex 2 earlier today and the camera doesn't seem constricted to me, but that might be something I could only tell from directly playing it.

There's a demo for Elden Ring if you know where to look. ;)

As for the exploration, I'd say that really depends on how much you like the setting and what kind of things you like to discover when you explore in a game.

Elden Ring has some cool environments and enemies, but it's really light on storytelling elements other than Fromsoft's vague style.

I was just watching some Elex 2 gameplay (by Cohhcarnage) and not to turn this even more into an Elex vs Elden Ring feud (I don't think there needs to be a "winner")
something struck me as interesting.

I've seen a lot of comments on this site about Elden Ring's difficulty (perceived difficulty, mostly, as these commenters have rarely played the game), along the lines of "dying doesn't appeal to me... super tough fights aren't fun", etc, etc.

And yet... Elex 2 is far, FAR more unfair in its fights than Elden Ring is. It doesn't matter how well you fight when you do such a small amount of damage to your enemy that you can't even see a change in its health bar and it can kill you in one hit. So what do players do? They either run away from everything or they find ways to cheese enemies, like kiting them back to much stronger NPCs, or getting onto a high place the enemy can't reach and firing 100 (literally) arrows into them.

Just avoid those tough areas, you say? Aside from the fact that you can do the same in Elden Ring (but I'm sure you'll dismiss that as someone not the same), Elex 2 forces you into areas you can't survive without cheese or tedium. Early quests have you crossing paths with enemies far out of your league.

I dunno. I don't mind any criticism as long as it's applied fairly and thoughtfully. But when someone criticizes one game (without playing it) but gives another game that does it worse a pass, I don't respect that criticism at all. That's just confirmation bias at work.

I can't agree with that at all. The vast majority of complaints I've seen in regards to difficulty in souls games aren't about having enemies that are above your level in the early game. They're about the multitude of boss fights and the respawn mechanic.

It's apples and oranges really. That's not confirmation bias.

I can't agree with that at all. The vast majority of complaints I've seen in regards to difficulty in souls games aren't about having enemies that are above your level in the early game. They're about the multitude of boss fights and the respawn mechanic.

It's apples and oranges really. That's not confirmation bias.

And why are there complaints about the bosses? Because they kill you. Why are there complaints about the respawn mechanic? Because you die. The same thing happens to players in Elex unless, as I said, they cheese the enemies or run away from everything. Elden Ring has a lot more beatable enemies if you have some patience and skill than Elex does. Elder Ring doesn't require you to dodge and hack at it for 5 minutes to kill a rat.

Game one: tough enemy, so leave and get stronger and come back and beat it
Game two: tough enemy, so leave and get stronger and come back and beat it

PB fans: game one is unfun torture and game two is brilliant RPG freedom!

If you're watching Cohh, he's probably playing on the highest difficulty. He usually is. And yes, there's no way to beat ELEX or ELEX II at the highest difficulty without being cheesy. Enemy damage and damage reduction is just too extreme. It doesn't require cheesy tactics on other difficulties though, unless you specifically try to kill high level enemies at lower levels.

At any rate, I've played a bit more now, and I've gotten used to the new voice and face. However, the camera is still very much an issue. They either need to allow us to control which side it's on (I believe Andromeda had something like that), zoom it out a bit and keep it stationary or just revert to the ELEX camera.

And why are there complaints about the bosses? Because they kill you. Why are there complaints about the respawn mechanic? Because you die. The same thing happens to players in Elex unless, as I said, they cheese the enemies or run away from everything. Elden Ring has a lot more beatable enemies if you have some patience and skill than Elex does. Elder Ring doesn't require you to dodge and hack at it for 5 minutes to kill a rat.

Game one: tough enemy, so leave and get stronger and come back and beat it
Game two: tough enemy, so leave and get stronger and come back and beat it

PB fans: game one is unfun torture and game two is brilliant RPG freedom!

Yeah, let's try to pretend they're the same now. ;)

It doesn't take dozens of tries to beat any enemy in Elex, nor does everything magically respawn every time you die or rest.

It's a moot point anyways. Like Maylander pointed out, you can simply adjust the difficulty in Elex if you need to. That's not an option in any souls game.

It doesn't take dozens of tries to beat any enemy in Elex, nor does everything magically respawn every time you die or rest.

I thought I read a conversation on this very website about stuff respawning constantly in Elex?

You probably know that not everything in Elden Ring respawns.

I thought I read a conversation on this very website about stuff respawning constantly in Elex?

You probably know that not everything in Elden Ring respawns.

Some enemies respawn after a certain amount of time has passed. It's probably similar to the respawn in Bethesda's games as an example. It's nothing like a souls game.

Yea, I don't think comparing Elden Ring to Elex 2 is a good comparison. Elden Ring is known to be an action rpg, known for difficulty and huge monster boss fights mainly, while Elex is considered a hardcore rpg, with much more emphasis and focus on story and dialogue.

Back
Top Bottom