Hero-U - Funded! & Update On Combat - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hero-U - Funded! & Update On Combat

Default Hero-U - Funded! & Update On Combat

June 15th, 2015, 19:04
The Hero's Quest spiritual successor Hero-U reached its funding goal of 100k$. At the moment the Kickstarter is at 110k$. A couple of stretch goals have been met, the next one is at 120k$ with 14 hours to go.

The Coles also added an update to explain Hero-U's combat system.

Action Game Combat - Too Fast

Computers are great at the dice-rolling and rules memorization parts, but we also expect much more of them. Combat has to feel involving and take a reasonable amount of time; animation and special effects need to show what's going on. No more spending 10 minutes on one round of the fight. Taken to extremes, combat becomes purely arcade - mash the buttons faster to do more damage. A one second cooldown or 300 millisecond latency can feel like an eternity in an MMO game.

Even our Quest for Glory games used real-time combat. We tried to make it interesting and have a good reason to parry and dodge, but most players just kept hitting the Attack button. We constantly tweaked with the combat rules and ended up with a different combat system in each game. We were trying to find the Holy Grail of combat that was fun, fair, fast, and rewarded players more for gaining character skill than for having twitchy trigger fingers.

Balancing a real-time game is really (pun intended) hard. Some of those games that seemed pretty fun at the time are now completely unplayable on faster computers - the enemies react too quickly. We want to make games that will be just as fun in 20 years as they are now.
Visit the Hero-U Kickstarter page to find out why the Coles claim the Hero-U combat is "just right".

More information.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 15th, 2015, 19:04
You are all welcome to join us! I believe this game is going to be something unique and wonderful, just like the Quest for Glory series was. Despite its age, QFG 2 remains my favorite RPG to this day, alongside Gothic 2.

Kay

KayAU

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 15th, 2015, 19:54
Congrats, KayAU! I just recently discovered the game and it looks really unique and cool! I wouldn't mind previewing the build when it's ready for release and make some YouTube videos for it, showing off different features and what not. Feel free to contact me with a private message on here if you'd like.

Congrats again and I look forward to the game!

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 15th, 2015, 21:05
Well, I'm not on the team, although with the amount of time I am spending advertising the game, I see how it would look that way. I'm just a very dedicated fan.

I will let Lori and Corey know, though.

Kay

KayAU

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 16th, 2015, 03:19
I liked all the QFG's its a shame they didnt include a dual pack. I would have got a copy for my brother.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hero-U - Funded! & Update On Combat