Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Page 3 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Default Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

August 5th, 2017, 17:27
I'll be getting this at some point but right now Disagea two is keeping me super busy.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

August 5th, 2017, 17:35
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I adored TitS, then bought TitS2 and got totally disappointed, didn't want to buy TitS3
I loved reading this

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

August 7th, 2017, 13:16
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
The game is awesome (dunno about the PC version, I played it in my PS4). The original voice is Japanese as this is a JRPG.
My early impression (cca 30 hours in, just finished chapter 3, dunno how many there are).

PC version is superior to consoles version - at least that's what people who played it on garbage and now bought the Steam version say. Performance wise.

Voiceover in PC version is English, if you want the original you can mod it. Usually I'd do this myself right away, but in all honesty english VO is really good. Unlike Berseria and Valkyria Chronicles eyerolling english dub.

The game is not awesome. IMO.

I don't "feel" it. Or better to say, I don't care about anything and anyone in the game. The story is okay, but honestly so far there is nothing I'd describe as OMG you have to buy this game. It's not all bad, dialogues have their moments, but I've expected much more.

Orb system is a bit different than the one in TitS. It's dumbed down! There is no "tetris" with crystals and on top of it they added something called master quartz, a thing that levels up. Yea, these special crystals you equip on your party gather their own XP.

Then there is some link system. Your active party is 4 people and you can link 'em in two pairs. These links also have levels and depending on link level, there are different effects that can happen during fights. Every battle victory earns you crewmember XP, master quartz XP and link XP.
There are 9 people and there is only one way to max link level between each of them. No, not with the main protagonist only, but among themselves too:

Grinding. Unlike TitS which discourages grinding, ToCS encourages it!
If you won't grind you'll have the money problem too. No money, no better equipment, no pots, no anyhing.

A few minigames so far:
Fishing - very easy and can net you nice rewards
Swimming pool races - the worst QTE version possible, it's designer should be shot
Cards on train - luckbased and fun, win or lose doesn't matter as it's ment for strenghtening relationships

I'm playing the game on normal, avoiding grinding like crazy (basically I kill each trashmob once on a map and do not touch it again when it respawns as you can outrun them all except bosses) and because I cannot afford every piece of equipment for everyone, some bosses are highly challenging. Not impossible ofc, just make sure you always have about a dozen of revival pots on you in case you prefer combat quartz instead of support ones on all your characters.

Finally, developer kept the hidden quests design from TitS. To find a hidden quest you need to reexplore already explored area and talk to everyone again on each main story progression.
This is horrible. It was understandable for the ancient TitS to have such system, but in a game 2 years old, cmon, we know better than waste time on unnecessary walking around. At least we on PC. I guess timewaste is still a thing on Nintendo crap or wherever this game originally appeared on.

ToCS does look better than TitS. Yet TitS was a much better game. ToCS is a good game, but awsome it is not.
Just my impression based on earlygame 30ish hours. It's still possible the game gets better later, I mean, I still didn't unlock S-breaks on all crewmembers for example.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; August 7th, 2017 at 13:28.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

August 7th, 2017, 15:17
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
There are 9 people and there is only one way to max link level between each of them. No, not with the main protagonist only, but among themselves too:

Grinding. Unlike TitS which discourages grinding, ToCS encourages it!
If you won't grind you'll have the money problem too. No money, no better equipment, no pots, no anyhing.
Well, again, that's where our definition of grinding differs. To you, anything that has a level number attached must be maxed and to max you have to grind. To me, grinding is when you have to fight for no other reason than to be high enough level to finish the game. I don't feel the need to max everything that has a label 'Level:' in the game. As for your example of links, I didn't feel I had to max links between each pair of characters. I would pick the most tactically beneficial links for each character and they would fight together when paired… simple.

As for the mechanic for hidden quests, I agree if you want to do them, you have to talk to everybody in each chapter just to see if they have a quest. In all fairness, when you do that you get to see the storylines for every NPC in the game (and each NPC has his/her own personal storyline, which adds lots of flavor to the game). I wouldn't remove that aspect as I ended up liking it, but I would love if they add some marker on NPCs to show they have something new to say to you (quest or not), not necessarily like a quest marker above their heads, something subtle I've seen before like dimming the name if they don't have anything new to say.
Last edited by wolfing; August 8th, 2017 at 02:54.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

August 23rd, 2017, 21:44
If anyone doubted the second ToCS game is coming to PC, here's a proper confirmation it's already being worked on:
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/899712834195513344
Taking time off my current project to work on PC voices for Cold Steel II… Finally…
When exactly will it appear on Steam, so far there is no official word.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)

Tags
durante, jrpg, legend of heroes, port, ps vita, vita
RPGWatch Forums » Games » JRPG » Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel