Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend - New Dev Diaries - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend - New Dev Diaries

Default Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend - New Dev Diaries

April 26th, 2020, 23:46
Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend has some more information to share on current progress. Two dev diaries focus on landing and exploring planets.

loading…

loading…

Terrain Vehicle Mechanics

(Originally posted by Marvin 27/01/2019 HERE)

The most epic terrain vehicle journey ever. That's what this is. Basically, I implemented simple controls for moving the terrain vehicle and then worked on the mechanics of how the wheels move. The wheels display suspension and steering and acceleration. The body of the terrain vehicle adjusts accordingly to the angles between the center of the T.V. and the front and rear wheels.

I took an approximately 15-minute video of a nice "stroll" through the planet in the first orbit in the Arth star system. I start out at the higher elevations where there are mountains and snow and ice. Then I meander down towards the valley where there are canyons. Then I head towards the beach where there's beautiful water glistening with wind-blown waves. I then drive around the lake and head up into some more mountains. I then shed a tear because it was all so beautiful.

The video does show one unexpected oddity - the T.V. itself drives on water at the correct height, but the rendered terrain drops below the T.V. according to the sea bed height. Oops. I know what went wrong, but I thought it was kind of funny to see the T.V. shadow "run away" from as you drive over water.

Microwave up some popcorn and enjoy this video!

P.S. Ignore the UI - none of the UI for the planetary disembarkment has been done, it's just displaying the normal in-space UI. Also, the "popping" that you can see in the distance sometimes is something that will be fixed.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)

April 27th, 2020, 17:28
What version is this? Amiga? I played it on a 286.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

April 27th, 2020, 22:00
A strategy and exploration game with a bit of rpg mechanics, is it a full rpg? I think Star Trek online is much more of an rpg.

Tactician

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 28th, 2020, 02:00
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
What version is this? Amiga? I played it on a 286.
Uh, it says "remake". Does that give you a hint?

Grifman

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Starflight: The Remaking of a Legend - New Dev Diaries